PDA

View Full Version : What now?

Darquis
2007-05-02, 10:16 PM
Okay. I finally bit the bullet and went out and bought the 3.5 DMG, Player's Handbook and Monster Manual (I figured I should at least start with these and then think about getting more later - Not to mention I had just spent major dollars in the same store buying the complete works of Raymond E. Feist) so I was wondering - Where do I go from here, what book's should I pick up next etc... I updated from the old AD&D 2nd Edition, so, a lot of this is new to me so any direction would be appreciated, what should I read, should I try and get in a game or two here? (I was the DM for my old group but have since moved away and I can't seem to scrape up any players)

Gerrtt
2007-05-02, 10:33 PM
I'd get in a game. Try a little of the stuff out before trying to DM again. Just my two cents.

Darquis
2007-05-02, 10:35 PM
Fair enough - Are all the games in the Finding Player's section pbp? Because I would prefer something over MSN or some other client.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-02, 11:02 PM
Every once in a while, a chat client game pops up. I would recommend posting that you're interested in looking for one, and one might turn up.

Further, many many people on this forum have MSN. Ping me on MSN ([email protected]) and, if there's a Foreverchat running, I'll invite you, and you can meet a bunch of people (and perhaps start a game).

Darquis
2007-05-03, 05:53 AM
Looks like after browsing around I am going to need to buy alot more of these books which sucks considering I spent my entire time in AD&D with only the PH, DMG and MM :smallfrown:

Premier
2007-05-03, 06:04 AM
Or alternatively, you could just cut your losses and keep playing 2nd edition. I mean, sure, it will be harder to find face-to-face players, but you've already got all the books you need, you already know the system, and going by what you wrote so far, you didn't have any problems with it (as in, you didn't dislike it or anything).

Especially if you've already decided to play mainly online games in the near future - you can easily find 2E play-by-post games (and probably even chat) on places like rpol.net or dragonsfoot.

Ruik
2007-05-03, 06:07 AM
Not really - most of my games outside of these forums have been essentially RAW... just because you think there is something shiny in another splat book doesn't mean you can't get by without spending a fortune, and there is always the SRD in any case.

If it were me, I wouldn't go investing any more money in books without an actually group to play with. Its interesting and all, but without a gaming group its just an intellectual exercise without any real pay off. A lot of the games posted in the currently recruiting are PbP games, Fax pretty much covered this. If you have trouble finding a game, I do suggest at least giving PbP a go – it can still be a lot of fun, despite the slower pace.

Bender
2007-05-03, 06:24 AM
books are not necessary, certainly not to play, I only have the DMG, PHB and MM, and three of my players don't even have PHB. we started out without any books at all (not even as DM).

Attilargh
2007-05-03, 06:28 AM
Looks like after browsing around I am going to need to buy alot more of these books
How so? I can't personally recall seeing very many really "must-have" books.

Expanded Psionics Handbook and Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords spring to mind, but they really just give characters some swanky (as in "über-cool and mighty awesome) new options one can easily live without. PHB II and DMG II are pretty solid investments as well, but not very necessary either.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-03, 06:58 AM
Rather than buying new books, you could go to Crystal Keep (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php) for the free indexes (Read: most all the meaningful stats, from most every book). The Expanded Psionics Handbook can be gotten from the SRDs. You can even get a taste of Tome of Battle from here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2) (this gives you the stats for a warblade. The maneuvers and stances are on free pdf cards somewhere as well. And all of the above is legal.

Also, read this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2714); it's quite helpful when starting any pbp or variant thereof.

Piccamo
2007-05-03, 08:24 AM
Not really - most of my games outside of these forums have been essentially RAW...

Sorry to nitpick, but RAW is Rules-As-Written and can include any rule that has been published. I think you mean Core which means the PHB, MM, DMG.

In any case, to the OP: when looking for a game just mention that you want Core only. There are plenty of people who don't play with other supplements.

Ruik
2007-05-03, 06:18 PM
Sorry to nitpick, but RAW is Rules-As-Written and can include any rule that has been published. I think you mean Core which means the PHB, MM, DMG.Heh, yeah that's what I meant :smallsigh: