PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]How can I move my horse around - rider tips

lhilas
2015-07-23, 06:52 AM
I was wondering - is there anyway to bypass that annoying transportation problem when building a rider fighter?
For example: moving the horse through doors, making it climb ladders, making sure it comes with you when being teleported against your will outside of combat (or during a surprise round when you're not riding it).

All at all, how would you guys suggest building a rider that is actually mobile and isn't afraid to climb down from his mount once in awhile, while still being as equally powerful as a normal rider?

Elkad
2015-07-23, 07:30 AM
Doors sized for medium just cost double to move through.

RAW, a horse can scamper right up a ladder. +4 climb check from Str, and a ladder is DC:0

(of course that is nonsensical, but so are the rest of the climbing rules. RAW you can't even climb a ladder with one hand...)

Some mounts (like big cats) will be much better at climbing/jumping.

Wand of Benign Transposition for the really tough spots (you'll have to traverse it twice yourself of course).

If your mount is a companion (or familiar), Share Spells will let you bring it along when you Fly, Teleport, etc.

Darrin
2015-07-23, 09:40 AM
If your mount is not medium-sized, you can use a Shrink Collar (10000 GP, A&EG p. 80) to reduce them to a small size whenever you like.

Use a Figurine of Wondrous Power. Usually these have a limited number of uses during a particular time period, but at least two of them can be used any number of times per day, up to a certain amount per week:

Gold Beetle (11500 GP, Sandstorm p. 133). Speed is only 20', but can ignore some types of difficult terrain, understands Common and Terran, and isn't completely useless in a fight.

Ivory Camel (8500 GP, Sandstorm p. 133). Speed is a more respectable 50', understands Common, has Scent and Sure Feet, but is not so useful in a fight.

As Elkad mentions, a wand of benign transposition can be quite nifty, particularly when paired with a wand of summon monster I.

lhilas
2015-07-23, 12:03 PM
Doors sized f
Wand of Benign Transposition for the really tough spots (you'll have to traverse it twice yourself of course).

If your mount is not medium-sized, you can use a Shrink Collar (10000 GP, A&EG p. 80) to reduce them to a small size whenever you like.

Sources please =)

Darrin
2015-07-23, 12:12 PM
Sources please =)

Emphasis added:

The benign transposition spell can be found in either the Miniatures Handbook (page 34) or the Spell Compendium (page 27).