PDA

View Full Version : Civilization: Beyond Earth

Jeivar
2015-07-23, 08:08 AM
I bought this game on the Steam holiday sale and I think I'm finally going to get started with it.

Are there any major bewares or major necessities when it comes to setting up one's civilization or investigating the frontier? Anything that is a total waste of resources or something everyone should acquire?

Tvtyrant
2015-07-23, 08:16 PM
There are a number I have found.
1. Don't attack the aliens early on. They are only as violent as the players are to them, so as long as you leave them alone and keep your workers away from them you will be peaceful.
2. Conquest is a slower end game then one of the affinity paths, so generally you want a continent to yourself and then focus on science.
3. gold is energy, happiness is healthiness. Getting healthy citizens can be a challenge compared to Civ V, where they could get deliriously happy.

Jeivar
2015-07-24, 02:33 AM
There are a number I have found.
1. Don't attack the aliens early on. They are only as violent as the players are to them, so as long as you leave them alone and keep your workers away from them you will be peaceful.
2. Conquest is a slower end game then one of the affinity paths, so generally you want a continent to yourself and then focus on science.
3. gold is energy, happiness is healthiness. Getting healthy citizens can be a challenge compared to Civ V, where they could get deliriously happy.

I should perhaps have mentioned that I haven't played any of the other Civ games, so when I started it up yesterday I felt rather overwhelmed, and under-informed by the tutorial. I guess I'll have to go thoroughly over the manual before proceeding.

druid91
2015-07-25, 08:34 AM
For one thing, the Affinity you want to grab will be heavily influenced by the resources around you. You can go for an affinity who's affinity specific resource isn't in your immediate environment, but it's a risky move. Because a lot of the affinity events are one off, and if you burn them all going in a direction that you can't support, you'll be missing a large chunk of what makes that affinity powerful.

For another, Affinity is important. Getting to a high in one is much better than being low in all of them. Well for now, we'll see how that works out when Rising Tide shows up with it's hybrids.

Also, if at all possible, found a city near an alien nest, don't build a fence, or destroy the nest. You want an intact alien nest in your borders. If you can maintain that for long enough the Aliens will turn friendly to you and never attack you unless you start killing them.