PDA

View Full Version : (3.5/PF) Casting a spell after moving/shifting

Azernak0
2015-07-23, 10:59 AM
I remember doing this as a DM when we were playing 3.5. Basically, "If you provoke an attack of opportunity with a spell cast/action, you provoke it in every possible way." IE, the caster is next to an enemy, he tumbles successfully, and casts a spell it would provoke as if he cast first and then moved. Now I cannot remember if that was a house rule I made because "screw spellcasters" or if that was an actual rule in 3.5; can someone enlighten me?

Now for Pathfinder: does that rule exist? IE, Bob the Wizard is next to Frank the Goblin. As a level 1 Wizard with 18 Intelligence, a DC 17 against a d20+5 is annoying. If Bob shifts away and then casts, does he need to Cast Defensively as per the rules? (Seriously, we have used the "provoke in all ways" thing for so long that I cannot remember if it was a house rule or something specific to 3.5)

Then there is the question of being next to Gorbo the Ogre with a rapier. He has 10 foot reach and Bob is directly next to him. Bob likes his chances of taking the hit more than needing to roll the Concentration check. Bob moves away, takes the attack of opportunity, and then casts a spell. Some questions:

1. Does the spell provoke assuming Gorbo can swing more than one attack of opportunity a turn if Bob is 'out of range'?
2. In Pathfinder: does taking damage on your turn before casting a spell (not as an Interrupt) require a Concentration check for damage? IE, Bob moves, Gorbo does 10 damage, Bob casts Glitterdust without needing to make a 22 roll. (How would this work in 3.5?)

We have somewhat recently moved to PF so we are trying to figure out the differences. As an aside, is there a list of "here's what is different" for 3.5 to PF?

Thanks.

frogglesmash
2015-07-23, 02:46 PM
If I'm understanding you right you're saying that the rule you were using was "if at any time during your turn you were in a threatened square, casting a spell that turn provokes an attack of opportunity from the character who's threatened square you occupied. If that is the case then I feel safe in saying that yes, that is a house rule regardless of if you use pathfinder or 3.5 or 3.0 (there's a slight chance I'm wrong about pathfinder). I'd also like to say that I think that house rule is rather silly and if I was a player in your campaign I would argue vehemently about it for 3-5 minutes before grudgingly accepting it and not bringing it up again... probably.

Psyren
2015-07-23, 02:48 PM
I can't speak to your houserule, but in terms of RAW - if you're out of range of an opponent's threatened area before you perform an action that would've made you provoke, then you don't provoke. This is no different in PF than it is in 3.5.

What PF did was make it much harder to tumble.

Azernak0
2015-07-23, 03:59 PM
I'd also like to say that I think that house rule is rather silly and if I was a player in your campaign I would argue vehemently about it for 3-5 minutes before grudgingly accepting it and not bringing it up again... probably.
Thanks for the replies. Was making a e-mail to the group and couldn't find that rule and started to think "was that just me doing it as a DM?"