PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Should I build a Necromancer?

Mindtour
2015-07-23, 01:36 PM
Hey Giantesian people. I'll be playing in a Rise of the Runelords campaign soon, and I'm fairly certain that I'm going to go with a necromancer-type. I'm thinking I'd like to go with Wizard for the versatility and follow this guide for the most part: http://https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hA61fDAxblBxbRXe236ZUmobf38hkB9d_foo3dEi7N4/pub

We're adhering to a 25 point buy for stats, and I've been given the go-ahead on any Common Race from the PH and ARG. (Peri-blooded Aasimar included) No third-party and I'm trying to keep it as close to core as possible, although my spell selection should be open wide.

My only questions/concerns are: Is this AP suited to a Necromancer in general (By that, I mean will I have chances to shine?), and how would I go about justifying an evil character in a party of at best, Chaotic Neutral characters? ( Druid and Barbarian )?

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-23, 02:11 PM
First question: Debuff necromancer or army-of-the-dead necromancer? I'm pretty sure you're the good guys in RotR, so the second probably won't go over too well with your NPC allies.

Lord Vukodlak
2015-07-23, 02:15 PM
First question: Debuff necromancer or army-of-the-dead necromancer? I'm pretty sure you're the good guys in RotR, so the second probably won't go over too well with your NPC allies.
I believe that's part of the fun

Troacctid
2015-07-23, 02:16 PM
Can't comment on the adventure path, but if you want to be evil in a non-evil party, you should talk to your teammates about it and work out a prior relationship between your characters that bonds them together in spite of their ethical disagreements. For example, maybe you're siblings, and you bicker constantly, but when the chips are down, family has to stick together. Or maybe you're just close friends who wouldn't let a little thing like necromancy tear you apart.

Katana1515
2015-07-23, 02:30 PM
I have only experienced the first 2 chapters of RoTR but I will throw in my 2 cents anyway. I would definitely sit down with the GM before submitting an evil character, it isn't impossible but its gonna need some work to justify why you keep being helpful. The party is often doing things out of the good of its own heart or trying to protect Sandpoint as a community.

Zombie Hordes are probably gonna be unhelpful at frequent parts of the adventure where you are interacting with Good PCs. Something like a neutral Wizard who pulls out the Animation "when things are dire" might get by when it's just the party out in the wilderness though.

Mindtour
2015-07-23, 02:50 PM

My initial thoughts were to be mainly a debuffer, with one to two undead minions sometimes. I don't want a horde of them, but rather something to meat-shield for me when the Barbarian can't.

Also, I know that the PC is evil, but evil in and of itself doesn't mean he cant care about others and the community of Sandpoint. I can work out a compatible backstory with another player, and the DM is skeptical, but not unforgiving. I feel that as long as I'm not a murderhobo and refrain from raing important NPCs (or innocents), I should be -okay-. I just wanted ideas in case a theological discussion came up.

Maybe he has the schitck of studying undeath?

Troacctid
2015-07-23, 03:00 PM
You could just be neutral instead of evil. It's allowed.

noob
2015-07-23, 03:09 PM
If the GM does not dislike necromancers and know the whole effect of an undead/simulacum army then it might work but if the GM does not like undead armies you just do not do one and it works flawlessly.

Mindtour
2015-07-23, 03:22 PM
You could just be neutral instead of evil. It's allowed.

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that I will be entering the Agent of the Grave PrC. They have an Evi alignment requirement.

Mindtour
2015-07-24, 10:48 AM
Bumping. The DM has even considered "good" liches. (Baelnorn ported in)