PDA

View Full Version : What is this thing?

pendell
2015-07-23, 05:24 PM
Link (http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/15/kitchen-gadgets-review-egg-master-horrifying-unholy-affair?CMP=fb_gu).

And people are paying 30 pounds apiece for them. *sigh* -- where did I go so wrong when so many people obviously have money to throw away?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

TheThan
2015-07-23, 05:49 PM
Link (http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/15/kitchen-gadgets-review-egg-master-horrifying-unholy-affair?CMP=fb_gu).

And people are paying 30 pounds apiece for them. *sigh* -- where did I go so wrong when so many people obviously have money to throw away?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

*watches video*

well i could use some brain bleach.

why? why? why?

who thought this was a good idea?

BannedInSchool
2015-07-23, 06:06 PM
Oh, on Cutthroat Kitchen (a cooking competition show that's embraced wackiness) that device has been given to chefs as their sole source of heating as a handicap in preparing their dishes. :smallsmile:

factotum
2015-07-24, 12:50 AM
They used one of these on an episode of "Good Mythical Morning" on Youtube a while back, only the machine was called an "Egg Rollie" there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo-BWETPdzo

And no, I don't see the point of the thing either. I could just about see some use for a device that turned eggs into a cooked, flat square suitable for fitting in a sandwich, but even then, it's probably easier to just hard-boil and slice your egg.

Bulldog Psion
2015-07-24, 09:17 AM
*watches video*

well i could use some brain bleach.

why? why? why?

who thought this was a good idea?

Well, I'm not quite sure what's at the other end of that link, but thanks for the warning. :smallbiggrin:

georgie_leech
2015-07-24, 09:28 AM
Why have I never seen Kitchen gadgets reviewed before? Clearly I need to go on an archive binge.

Alent
2015-07-24, 01:49 PM
That thing is a "Tall tale from the ER" just waiting to happen.

Ravens_cry
2015-07-24, 03:55 PM
It would be great for making breakfast burritos, but is that worth about 60 bucks Canadian?
I don't think so.

BannedInSchool
2015-07-24, 05:04 PM
Seems like it might be nice for a dorm where you can't do proper cooking. Although I don't know where you're getting the fresh eggs then. Don't use the egg you found under the couch! Nooooo!!!!

Grinner
2015-07-24, 05:37 PM
Seems like it might be nice for a dorm where you can't do proper cooking. Although I don't know where you're getting the fresh eggs then. Don't use the egg you found under the couch! Nooooo!!!!

Or just use the microwave. :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2015-07-24, 05:48 PM
Or just use the microwave. :smalltongue:

Eeeeeeeeeew! Why would you put your stomach though that? :smallfrown:

Grinner
2015-07-24, 06:32 PM
Eeeeeeeeeew! Why would you put your stomach though that? :smallfrown:

Microwave-cooked eggs? From what I saw, this doesn't seem like an improvement...

Tvtyrant
2015-07-24, 07:12 PM
Microwave-cooked eggs? From what I saw, this doesn't seem like an improvement...

If you can't eat eggs right, there are no reasons to eat them at all. Shoot, I would eat them raw over microwaved...

TheThan
2015-07-24, 07:24 PM
Microwaved eggs do indeed sound awful.

That being said. I totally see special effects guys using this to create some interesting stuff for the space/horror (think alien) genera.

BannedInSchool
2015-07-24, 07:56 PM
Oh, oh! Now I remember some little breakfast thing that was scrambled eggs in a hard plastic tube with a plunger so you could push the eggs out of the tube as you ate them on the go. Perhaps this was inspired by that.

tomandtish
2015-07-24, 08:54 PM
That may be the most horrifying thing I've seen in years.

factotum
2015-07-25, 01:47 AM
Microwaved eggs do indeed sound awful.

Depends how you cook them. You can scramble eggs in a microwave no problem, and they don't taste any different from eggs scrambled in a saucepan. On the other hand, they don't really take any less effort (you have to keep opening the oven door to stir the eggs), so it's only really useful to make them that way if you have no other means of cooking available.

Kato
2015-07-25, 02:12 AM
Eh... it doesn't seem that bad to me? I mean, I wouldn't pay five bucks for it... well, I wouldn't pay for it. But I guess you could try one of these things... on a dare?

Killer Angel
2015-07-25, 02:44 AM
I totally see special effects guys using this to create some interesting stuff for the space/horror (think alien) genera.

You're near.
You're paying 30 pounds, to have a very cool piece of alien terrain scenery, for your WH40K battles. The price is fine. :smalltongue:

The Second
2015-07-25, 05:42 PM
Well, at least this is (probably) marginally better than the pre-cooked egg patties used to fill the breakfast biscuits at the local convenience store, mostly because the biscuits have been sitting in the warmer for around six hours.

Ravens_cry
2015-07-25, 06:04 PM
You're near.
You're paying 30 pounds, to have a very cool piece of alien terrain scenery, for your WH40K battles. The price is fine. :smalltongue:
If Games Workshop made this, it would cost 200 bucks and you'd have to assemble it yourself.:smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2015-07-26, 04:18 AM
If Games Workshop made this, it would cost 200 bucks and you'd have to assemble it yourself.:smallbiggrin:

Don't give them ideas... :smalltongue:

Max™
2015-07-28, 09:47 PM
You know you can crack an egg into a bowl of water and microwave it and it comes out as a surprisingly easily poached egg right?

Cikomyr
2015-07-28, 09:52 PM
Just.. make sure you break the yoke before microwaving your egg..

I could see this thing being useful for burritos, indeed. Not optimal.. and frankly, I don't see why I couldn't just fry scrambled eggs.

Bulldog Psion
2015-07-28, 10:04 PM
Watched the film.

Wished I hadn't.

"Egg Master"? More like "Egg Defecater."

factotum
2015-07-29, 02:28 AM
I could see this thing being useful for burritos, indeed. Not optimal.. and frankly, I don't see why I couldn't just fry scrambled eggs.

Why would you fry scrambled eggs? To my mind, fried eggs, scrambled eggs and omelettes are three very different things...

Cikomyr
2015-07-29, 09:49 AM
Its just the degree of fat in the pan :)

Gnoman
2015-07-30, 05:47 PM
Dr. Ashen just reviewed this (technically a different brand, but the same thing). Unfavorably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFP5mmPZe_c