PDA

View Full Version : OotS gets a shout out in the new Goblins Tempts Fate

CardinalFang
2007-05-03, 02:08 AM
Those of you who don't read Goblins (http://goblinscomic.com) should feel ashamed of yourselves and instantly hop over to read the new Tempts Fate (http://goblinscomic.com/tf7.html) comic up on the site...possibly the coolest way to ask for donations I've ever seen. OotS gets a very nice mention, and of course, Goblins itself is awesome.

P.S. Hopefully that's OotS-related enough to belong on this board. /cross fingers

tomaO2
2007-05-03, 02:16 AM
I was going to make a post at goblins asking about that crazy riddle. I havn't posted there in awhile.

Unfortunatly, it keep locking me out. I'm sure it has to do with my McFee running but since this last major update there isn't a simple button to push that can shut it down. I think anonymous posting has been banned too.

*sigh*

Anyway the riddle is ridiculous. I have read a number of puzzles and that just gives no info. Your in a room with a door that needs a key to open while the walls close in to kill you. To find the key you must look inside yourself???

Jeez. I don't even know where to start guessing with fortune cookie advice like that.

Shadic
2007-05-03, 02:20 AM
Obviously, the hero has accidentally ingested the key several hours previously.

Zangor
2007-05-03, 02:22 AM
Nice! I love Tempts Fate. And I think I may possibly have solved the room, too, but I'm not positive.

EDIT: To the above poster, it says to look closely at the room. Again, look CLOSELY, and pay attention to even small details. I'm not going to say what I've found, because I think that might be counter to the spirit of the riddle, but I will say that much.

CardinalFang
2007-05-03, 02:23 AM
Obviously, the hero has accidentally ingested the key several hours previously.
Yeah, but it's "look inside yourself," not "stick a finger down your throat."

I'm a bit too tired to focus on it right now, but I plan on staring at that image for a long time.

Maybe he's got to look inside himself, admit that the rant golem is right about life, the universe, and everything, and then the rant golem will give him the key through the air vent? :D

Icewalker
2007-05-03, 02:28 AM
I figured it out. I go to this summer camp dnd thing and the DM has done it as his job for something like 20 years, so he's pretty damn amazing, and loves puzzles like this. I think I know it.

Unfortunately, my email is Yahoo.
It doesn't say Gmail won't work, so I thought I'd make an account there, but it's...down or something.

ElfLad
2007-05-03, 02:28 AM
Duh.

See if you can lift or break the piece of the floor that says, "Yourself."

Zangor
2007-05-03, 02:32 AM
Duh.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I just emailed it in.

ShiningTed
2007-05-03, 03:59 AM
Its a bit obvious. Imho.

Love Goblins though - thanks for posting about this, I;'ve been following it for ages and never noticed the "Tempts Fate" section!

Ahhh, mudhoney...

battleburn
2007-05-03, 04:03 AM
Yeah, but it's "look inside yourself," not "stick a finger down your throat."

I'm a bit too tired to focus on it right now, but I plan on staring at that image for a long time.

Maybe he's got to look inside himself, admit that the rant golem is right about life, the universe, and everything, and then the rant golem will give him the key through the air vent? :D
All TF has to do is admit that OotS is better, then the golem will give him the key.
He probably has to talk to his inner selves (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0382.html) to be able to admit it.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-05-03, 04:27 AM
Heh. Nice shoutout.

And I read Goblins whenever it updates. Which is to say, about once a month.

under_score
2007-05-03, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the note, I had been waiting for the new TF, and I hadn't noticed a link to it...still seems like it was hidden to me...just like everything...

Simons Mith
2007-05-03, 07:27 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I just emailed it in.

Nah, not cheesy enough. Here's a far better solution:
Just walk out through the fourth wall.

Porthos
2007-05-03, 10:55 AM
Duh.

Considering that the stone that says "YOURSELF" is a different color than all of the rest, which suggests that it can be moved, I'd say you are right. :smalltongue:

tomaO2
2007-05-03, 11:34 AM
Considering that the stone that says "YOURSELF" is a different color than all of the rest, which suggests that it can be moved, I'd say you are right. :smalltongue:

Dang.
I was so buzy looking at the cracks on the edge of the wall I didn't even get the "yourself" thing when I read the first explanation quotes. I was flippping that image every which way, expanding it, trying to read some sort of secret message in all those cracks.

I didn't get it until Porthos said it was a different color and I studied the whole thing.

Guess I am dumb

PS. now THIS is what spoiler heading are suppost to be used for.

Icewalker
2007-05-03, 12:12 PM
Duh.

Yeah, thats what I thought of too. Unfortunately, I use Yahoo....hrm. May be able to use my friends gmail account.

Although currently the money total is at $20 out of $175 and the answers total is at 38 out of 25...

PsyBlade
2007-05-03, 11:17 PM
$116 and 70 solutions. Solutions ain't so bad, it's the donations. Oh wait, he's got 5-6 days to get the less than half of the first part completed. Tempts is SAFE!

Hypothetical
2007-05-04, 12:56 AM
The Yourself thing is too obvious....I'm about to E-Mail in my solution, which hasn't been mentioned here, but is close to some that have been, and yes, obviously deals with the different color.

I don't get paid again until the 10th, one day to late to save him from the 1st trap, but definatly early enough to help him through the second.

Tempts will be safe. The Last Tempts fate earned over 2 grand in donations..and the final on this one is only 700. Easy.

BTW, I LOVE Goblins. I found it about 3 updates ago, and I"ve reread the whole thing like five times. The last update....Oh man, THACO is just made of WIN. That Swordcane of his is the AWESOME. ANd I love the way Chief's javalin just barely misses ending his life...all six of them. It's going to get messy.

I'm dying (Pun intended) to see what happens to Die's Horribly and Saves a Fox.

Knight13
2007-05-04, 01:30 AM
Yeah, Thaco is pretty amazing for an elderly goblin. I'm wondering where the whole thing with Dies Horribly and Saves A Fox is going.

Oh and you have to love Dies Horribly's green hand of DOOM.

Dimitri
2007-05-04, 01:53 AM
I personally want to see more about Minmax and Forgath.

Icewalker
2007-05-04, 01:54 AM
The last update....Oh man, THACO is just made of WIN. That Swordcane of his is the AWESOME.

I actually started a "Thaco is awesome" thread in the webcomics section. Yeeeeah....so freakin cool....
For those of you who don't know what THAC0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THAC0\)actually is...

The last puzzle only needs TEN answers, and as there are already 70 to the first one, he must be assuming that it is INSANELY HARD...sounds fun...

Jade_Tarem
2007-05-04, 01:56 AM
I saw the differently colored tile too. However, I thought of a different solution. The keyhole is false. The key is verbal: and the word is "us." "Us" is the key to solving every trial and, by inclusion, this one. What's more, "Us" can be found within "yourself."

Demented
2007-05-04, 03:02 AM
Yay for rant golems!

The riddle is fun too.

Hypothetical
2007-05-04, 05:19 AM
I personally want to see more about Minmax and Forgath.

OK, yes, forgath is cool. But I couldn't care less about Minmax if you tied me down and forced me to listen to Barbera Streisand records instead of hearing about him. The one and only cool thing about him is his Bloodoath against Names.

OK, here was my solution, which I have already E-Mailed to Goblins....

Tempts needs to step on the Yourself tile, and then either 1) The door will open automatically, or 2) the key will drop down from a hidden tile in the ceiling.

Orchestration
2007-05-04, 06:48 AM
I can't stand Goblins, the art style is just vile!

Raziel3024
2007-05-04, 07:07 AM
The Rant Golem is hilarious
"Oh how convenient that your inner monologue explains everything!It's a good thing I can swim or I'd be drowning in all this exposition!"

PMDM
2007-05-08, 09:21 PM
See, I spent a good 2 days looking at the door, and not finding anything...

Icewalker
2007-05-18, 01:12 PM
They have a third challenge up.

I'm pretty sure it is ridiculously easy, but unfortunately my email address is Yahoo so I can't send him an answer...

The little glass dude is the great guardian. smacky, breaky, leavey.

Least that's what I think. Might be too simple.

EvilElitest
2007-05-18, 01:22 PM
I can't stand Goblins, the art style is just vile!

But hte plot and character devolpment is good and that makes it all hte better
from,
EE