PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Sphere for Warlock

paladin1818
2015-07-23, 09:27 PM
As surprising as it seems, a warlock is just a better sorceror to me. I'm doing a Warlock 1/Fighter x build. In just one level, I gain Eldritch Blast, That spider-power, (for flavor reasons I will call it Vine Climb & protection from vines instead of webs) & A FREAKING SPHERE(explained later). Also Feytouched,with horns & vines(obviously fey pact) & I get a 1 level enchantment or illusion spell. Now for the point. A sphere is something a warlock gets. At first level, he gains an inherit power like a clerics domain power, & then spell like abilities BY CHARACTER LEVEL NOT CASTER!!! YA!!! A 1 level used once per day, spontaneous casting. Then whn u hit level 3, another spell used once per day, level 5 & so on by every 2 levels. I want to create a wilderness sphere as most(almost all that I could find) are pointed towards demonic powers. The inherit power will obviously be Speak with Animals. Please help on 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19. Thanks.

Ziegander
2015-07-23, 09:53 PM
As surprising as it seems, a warlock is just a better sorceror to me. I'm doing a Warlock 1/Fighter x build. In just one level, I gain Eldritch Blast, That spider-power, (for flavor reasons I will call it Vine Climb & protection from vines instead of webs) & A FREAKING SPHERE(explained later). Also Feytouched,with horns & vines(obviously fey pact) & I get a 1 level enchantment or illusion spell. Now for the point. A sphere is something a warlock gets. At first level, he gains an inherit power like a clerics domain power, & then spell like abilities BY CHARACTER LEVEL NOT CASTER!!! YA!!! A 1 level used once per day, spontaneous casting. Then whn u hit level 3, another spell used once per day, level 5 & so on by every 2 levels. I want to create a wilderness sphere as most(almost all that I could find) are pointed towards demonic powers. The inherit power will obviously be Speak with Animals. Please help on 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19. Thanks.

What... edition... of what game... are you talking about?

Because... I never played 1st or 2nd edition all that much, but I don't think they had a Warlock. 3.5 D&D had one, but it doesn't come close to working like that, nor does 4e's Warlock, nor does 5e's Warlock.

Network
2015-07-23, 10:29 PM
What... edition... of what game... are you talking about?

Because... I never played 1st or 2nd edition all that much, but I don't think they had a Warlock. 3.5 D&D had one, but it doesn't come close to working like that, nor does 4e's Warlock, nor does 5e's Warlock.
I'm still betting this is 5th edition. This in the only edition to have a warlock, which is also in any way comparable to the sorcerer, and to allow multiclassing in the first place (4th doesn't have multiclassing; 3rd does, but its warlock isn't even remotely similar to what the OP is talking about; earlier editions didn't even have a warlock).

JNAProductions
2015-07-23, 10:32 PM
But Eldritch Blast doesn't really get good until level 2 in 5E, and it has nothing like the Spheres they're talking about.

AmberVael
2015-07-23, 10:35 PM
This may be referencing Frank and K's tomes. The description of Spheres sounds a lot like theirs, and I think they do have a warlock that uses them.

JNAProductions
2015-07-23, 10:36 PM
Which system is that?

AmberVael
2015-07-23, 10:37 PM
Its basically homebrew/revision for 3.5 D&D. I don't recommend it, so I won't bother with a link. (Its not hard to find if you're morbidly curious).

ZenBear
2015-07-23, 11:24 PM
Ok, most of what you said was gibberish to me, but if I get the gist you want a custom Pact Patron (which you call a "Sphere")?

I could see an ancient, powerful force of nature like an Elder Treant granting powers to willing mortals. You would have to be a patient mortal, as it would take it a long time to say what it wants you to do.

You're not going to get a whole lot out of one level of Warlock. Just go Bladelock and really revel in your vine-y magics.

Network
2015-07-24, 12:02 AM
This may be referencing Frank and K's tomes. The description of Spheres sounds a lot like theirs, and I think they do have a warlock that uses them.
My damn! I just checked and you are probably right! I must have erased the memories of what Tome material is or can do. For one thing I didn't remember how broken spheres were in the first place (at-will astral projection, genesis, miracle or time stop as an SLA isn't too bad for a 19th-level build, and only requires a 6th-level warlock dip).

But now to answer the OP. Tome warlock is broken. It's intended to be. Tome sorcerer (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Sorcerer,_Tome_(3.5e_Class)) is lackluster compared to about all other tome classes. But most full caster classes didn't even get a tome version in the first place (which raises the question: how can a wizard cope against a ranger that can destroy the planet with a single swing or a true fiend with at-will miracle SLA?). As a result tome sorcerer is kind of a joke class: it's there to show sorcerers are more powerful than normal in a Tome game, but so far behind the other Tome options that nobody will really consider it. And there is no way a druid or wizard can cope with an enemy that has at-will miracle SLA. A few caster classes could do it, but getting even close requires a ridiculous amount of optimization or outright cheese.

So yes, warlocks are actually frickin' awesome in a Tome game. You get more out of pushing one sphere to expert level than to have many spheres, though, and taking a total of 6 warlock levels (the minimum to get expert sphere access) is definitely worth it. I recommend using the Heresy sphere as a balance point for your homebrew one, and to post it on one of the D&D wikis with a copy of Tome material.