PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] help my paladin grapple

Raezeman
2015-07-24, 04:23 AM
Greetings,

My paladin (of freedom), halas, is a muscly elf who's grapple is not bad at all when compared to others in my grouping (pointing fingers at the sorcerer here), but when facing huge and colossal creatures with stuff like (improved) snatch, throwing my d20 for a grapple check just becomes nothing more than a formality. In two levels, i will get close-quarters fighting, which will help preventing being grapple, but i would also like something that helps me get out of grapple once i am in there. Preferable in the form of a magic item.

I know that the anklets of translocation are a help here, but i already have footwear and don't really like the only twice per day. So, any suggestions for me?

cheers!

Umbranar
2015-07-24, 04:26 AM
The obvious big "NO" spell would be Freedom of Movement but that depends on your party composition, wealth and level.
Cloak of the Mountebank does a 1/day Dimension Door.

Raezeman
2015-07-24, 04:33 AM
The obvious big "NO" spell would be Freedom of Movement but that depends on your party composition, wealth and level.

A message saying 'please learn freedom of movement' has been sent to the party bard, though with his multi- and prestigeclassing, i'm not sure if that is a possibility. Thanks for this rather-obvious-ashamed-that-i-did-not-think-of-it-myself answer.

Cloak of the Mountebank does a 1/day Dimension Door.
The 1/day is not to my liking. In my experience, creatures who like grappling will just try again, and usually succeed. So unless we get to 5/day or something, i'd rather not go for it.

Umbranar
2015-07-24, 07:53 AM
Any way to increase your size might help aswell. Enlarge person nets you an instant +5 on your grapple (+2 size bonus to strength for a +1 and increased size gives +4). A miss chance might avoid the need to throw a grapple altogether. Ofcourse there is always Grease to escape them grapples for a nice +10 bonus.

Probably something that won`t help you now but quite hilarious at times is the Elusive Target feat.
It once helped me against a monster with only one crazy attack and improved grapple. I was flanked by a skeleton and the monster so it the skeleton instead of my saving me from all sorts of trouble.

Darrin
2015-07-24, 08:23 AM
Shadow Cloak (5500 GP, Drow of the Underdark) gives you a short-range teleport as an immediate action 3/day.

frost890
2015-07-24, 04:02 PM
Barbed spikes on the armor? Also just becomes something is Normally in one slot does not mean that you can not have a cloak of freedom. I would say get your hands on something that grants you Ethereal use. Then they can not touch you as you get away.

Janthkin
2015-07-24, 04:28 PM
Just some armor ideas:
Acidic armor enchantment?
Blinking is only once/day, but stacks with just about every other option.
Freedom, obviously, but probably prohibitively expensive.
Vanishing seems like it should work even if something is grappling you at the time.

Benign Transposition is a good spell option; the party wizard can swap you with a summoned fire elemental or something.