PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cavalier Build Help

Arc_knight25
2015-07-24, 08:02 AM
I've never really played a mounted charging character before.

I have an idea for a character. It would be either a Half-Orc or Human Cavalier.

I would be going Order of the Staff and be doing a background with another PC character and act like a bodyguard for that character.

I was just wondering what feats would be good to take. I'd like to be able to be affective even if not mounted.

Geddy2112
2015-07-24, 09:32 AM
Order of the staff is very dependent on a caster being happy and healthy. It not only fits the fluff, but the mechanics of your order depend on that caster being alive and slinging spells. Bodyguard and in harm's way are great feats to keep your caster friend safe, and they will trigger your spell aid ability as well.

Since you can give your allies your teamwork feats, focus on those that can help your caster.Callous casting syncs with the Synchronized smash you get at level 15, but most enemies will be immune to fear by then. Got your back is great synergy with bodyguard, as is harrying partners. Coordinated defense helps because casters usually have low CMD and getting grappled is bad news. Extend the bulwark is situational, best if your going for heavy armor. Shielded caster is a great choice at any level. Shield wall is good if you plan on using a shield-they can wear a mithral buckler with no casting or armor check penalty.

Keep in mind that teamwork feats generally require you to be next to the caster, so if you charge in and lance something, you won't be able to make use of your teamwork feats and aiding your spellcaster. Not that you will always need to, but if you do want to have synergy you will have to stay back most of the time. Luring cavalier is a good option for this, as is standard bearer and musketeer.

Arc_knight25
2015-07-30, 08:25 AM
Sorry for getting back on this so late.

Thank you for some of the ideas.

I'm not a real wild for any of the archetypes of the Cavalier. I'd imagine I would just stay as the base class.

I had tagged Bodyguard as a good potential feat. Along with a few of the Riding feats: Mounted combat, Ride by attack, Trample.

Also setting up my mount with ways to Overrun, with I feel will help with BFC.

As for teamwork feats I was thinking escape route, swing about, distracting charge.

Geddy2112
2015-07-30, 08:46 AM
All good feats, and I suppose you do have other party members that will benefit from your teamwork feats. Distracting charge and escape route are fantastic for any situation.

If you are going for a charge build, it is probably going to be a lance and shield. Spirited charge is a must as you will do triple damage on the charge. Mounted shield will extend your shield bonus to your mount. Indomitable mount is also a must at higher levels.

Arc_knight25
2015-07-31, 07:40 AM
Here is what I have so far:

Cavalier: Order of the Staff

Race: 1/2 Orc?, Human?

Trait: Avid Reader (Arcana)?

Feats

1 - Mounted Combat
1 Teamwork - Escape Route
3 Combat Reflexes
6 Bonus
9 Teamwork
12 Bonus
17 Teamwork
18 Bonus

List of Feats
Ride By Attack
Trample
Trick Riding
Mounted Skirmisher
Bodyguard
Stand Still
Beast Rider - if Half Orc

Teamwork Feats:
Overwhelm
Distracting Charge
Swing About

Animal Companion - Horse

Feats
1 Power Attack
2 Improved Overrun
5 Charge Through
8 Medium Armour Proficiency
10 - Greater Overrun
13 Heavy Armour Proficiency

Are there any feats in that list that anyone would not take or think that there are other that are better?

Also what should my companions last few feats be?