PDA

View Full Version : help spell selecion for ranger

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-24, 08:30 AM
I'm going to play a 1 rogue/14 ranger, because my monk died last session.
I think the build is really great now, but I'm not talking about that, but about the spell selection.
I have now:
lv. 1: beast bond (Elemental Evil), absorp elements (Elemental Evil), hunter's mark and ensnaring strike.
lv. 2: pass without trace
lv. 3: plant growth (really need this now, but I can swap it at lv. 15 with another spell) and conjure animals
lv. 4: locate creature

That I have more lv. 3 spells than lv. 2 isn't a problem, I'm going to cast ensnaring strike often at lv. 2.
Spells I'm going to get at higher levels, and swap with spells I have now: Daylight, swift quiver, lesser restoration, cure wounds, spike growth.

But my question, are there good ranger spells for this (I don't use my bonus action for my attacks, but with spells like ensnaring strike I'm going to do that)?
Is there something I need to have, conjure woodland beings is good, but my DM chooses the creatures so I have sometimes pixies (:smallbiggrin:) and sometimes sprites (:smallannoyed:), the reason I don't want to take that one now.

tieren
2015-07-24, 10:48 AM
Are you a beastmaster?
If so I would recommend stone skin to help with defense and next level you'll get share spells making it even better.

I don't recommend ensnaring strike, if they make the save nothing happens other than you burning a spell slot, maybe take a damage spell instead like lightning arrow or conjure barrage or conjure volley (even if you are not an archer you can keep a thrown weapon handy to cast them, conjuring a 60 foot cone of flying daggers could be cool).

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-24, 01:46 PM
Are you a beastmaster?
If so I would recommend stone skin to help with defense and next level you'll get share spells making it even better.

I don't recommend ensnaring strike, if they make the save nothing happens other than you burning a spell slot, maybe take a damage spell instead like lightning arrow or conjure barrage or conjure volley (even if you are not an archer you can keep a thrown weapon handy to cast them, conjuring a 60 foot cone of flying daggers could be cool).

Stoneskin is overrated but still maybe a godo choice. The other spell are very weak. I do now more damage than wirh lightning arrow. The conjure barage/volley spells are nice but we have a wizard with things like fireboll. I prefer ensnaring strike because I played a druid monk using his slotts for entangle, and that worked

stil thanks for help, I will look again if one of those spells is a very good option

Shining Wrath
2015-07-24, 03:40 PM
You have a wizard? What's the rest of the party?
Could simple spells like Cure Wounds or Goodberry fill a hole?
Wind Wall can be full of win in the right circumstances. You're probably mobile and a better shot than most monsters, so put WW in between your Wizard and the monsters, go around the wall where you can exchange fire with the monsters but they can't shoot at your Wizard who can fireball or cantrip to his/her heart's content.
Conjure Barrage can give you an area effect blast, not so important with a fireballing wizard on your side.
Spike Growth can combine nicely with the wizard's ability to control the battlefield. Between SG and walls / clouds you can channel the enemy into the killing zone. Fireball casting wizards are very fond of enemies that bunch together.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-26, 05:48 AM
You have a wizard? What's the rest of the party?
Could simple spells like Cure Wounds or Goodberry fill a hole?
Wind Wall can be full of win in the right circumstances. You're probably mobile and a better shot than most monsters, so put WW in between your Wizard and the monsters, go around the wall where you can exchange fire with the monsters but they can't shoot at your Wizard who can fireball or cantrip to his/her heart's content.
Conjure Barrage can give you an area effect blast, not so important with a fireballing wizard on your side.
Spike Growth can combine nicely with the wizard's ability to control the battlefield. Between SG and walls / clouds you can channel the enemy into the killing zone. Fireball casting wizards are very fond of enemies that bunch together.

Good options, but we don't often see enemies with projectiles so wind wall is just decent, still good option.
Spike growth, I tought about it but you're right, I can do much with that one.

The others in the party are a rogue (thief) with one level bard, but he often just attacks and he doesn't use thing like cunning action.
And a paladin 11/4 fighter, is sometimes more creative than the rogue, but in 90% of the times he just attacks, half of the times with extra damage this is his first camp. in D&D, the reason he tought 4 fighter would be a good idea.

And the wizard, died, lost his spellbook and is now almost worthless in fights (I magic missle the enemie, or is a ray of frost better, mmm).

Shining Wrath
2015-07-26, 07:32 AM
Good options, but we don't often see enemies with projectiles so wind wall is just decent, still good option.
Spike growth, I tought about it but you're right, I can do much with that one.

The others in the party are a rogue (thief) with one level bard, but he often just attacks and he doesn't use thing like cunning action.
And a paladin 11/4 fighter, is sometimes more creative than the rogue, but in 90% of the times he just attacks, half of the times with extra damage this is his first camp. in D&D, the reason he tought 4 fighter would be a good idea.

And the wizard, died, lost his spellbook and is now almost worthless in fights (I magic missle the enemie, or is a ray of frost better, mmm).

The primary objective of your party ought to be getting the wizard a spellbook and some spells to put in it. Otherwise, as you say, he's a cantrip generator and otherwise dead weight.

WickerNipple
2015-07-26, 07:37 AM
If you don't get it from another source, Darkvision is one of the best Ranger spells.