PDA

View Full Version : Tamer of Beasts druid PrC questions

Max Caysey
2015-07-24, 10:00 AM
I have just seen this PrC (Masters of the Wild), and I was wondering if anyone had any experience in using this class? Some of its abilities sound pretty good, but then again I'm no expert in druid builds. I found it while looking for PrC for druid that improved either the animal companion or the wildshape ability... But for right now, I want to know what your thought are on this 3.0 PrC....

So how would you guys rate it?

Is there any obvious abuses that I should know, which I dont see?

Would you play it?

Thanks guys!

Nashira
2015-07-24, 10:57 AM
I believe that that PrC got updated to become the Beastmaster PrC for 3.5. It's alright, but generally anything you put on a druid makes it worse given how good the base chassis of the class is.

Max Caysey
2015-07-24, 03:37 PM
I believe that that PrC got updated to become the Beastmaster PrC for 3.5. It's alright, but generally anything you put on a druid makes it worse given how good the base chassis of the class is.

IS there any way of knowing that for sure? I mean they are very differen, the two classes, and I would never have guessed that...

eggynack
2015-07-24, 05:09 PM
You lose caster levels, and a pretty good number of them, so it can only be so good, and from a cursory glance, the class features don't seem all that great. As to the question of whether this was updated, I don't know that it matters, because the whole class operates on 3.0 druid mechanics. It just seems unplayable in a 3.5 context, particularly because I don't think animal friend is even a thing anymore. On beastmaster, that class is also awful, ditching all caster levels and offering an only decent bump at level one, followed by horrific extra companions past that point. Finally, as to the assertion that druids don't PrC out well, I somewhat disagree. There's a pretty good density of druid prestige class options, especially if you're just picking up a couple of dips. These just aren't on that list of good druid prestige class options.

Max Caysey
2015-07-25, 05:27 AM
You lose caster levels, and a pretty good number of them, so it can only be so good, and from a cursory glance, the class features don't seem all that great. As to the question of whether this was updated, I don't know that it matters, because the whole class operates on 3.0 druid mechanics. It just seems unplayable in a 3.5 context, particularly because I don't think animal friend is even a thing anymore. On beastmaster, that class is also awful, ditching all caster levels and offering an only decent bump at level one, followed by horrific extra companions past that point. Finally, as to the assertion that druids don't PrC out well, I somewhat disagree. There's a pretty good density of druid prestige class options, especially if you're just picking up a couple of dips. These just aren't on that list of good druid prestige class options.

Thanks...

In the Masters of the Wild, there is also a PrC called Shifter... Has that been updated or is that another unplayable class? From a glance is seems nice but again... in no good at druids....

eggynack
2015-07-25, 06:05 AM
Thanks...

In the Masters of the Wild, there is also a PrC called Shifter... Has that been updated or is that another unplayable class? From a glance is seems nice but again... in no good at druids....
I think that one was basically updated over to master of many forms, and maybe actually updated over to it, which is in complete adventurer. It's not a good choice, from a power perspective, cause of that spell thing again, but it does a bunch of unique and powerful things. It represents a jump down from tier one to tier three, or maybe a low two if you really know your forms. If you seek more general druid knowledge, I could always send over my handbook on the topic. Among other things, it's probably the only resource that covers druid PrC's in an in-depth way, though I can't say as I've included these somewhat outdated 3.0 classes.

Edit: Generally, if you're going for power, you want to lose absolutely no caster levels, you want to minimize your loss of wild shape progression, and loss of animal companion progression is annoying but not build destroying. So, dipping out for two levels into holt warden and contemplative is fine, as is taking some levels in moonspeaker or lion of talisid. Going full on holt warden, however, may represent too much of a hit on your non-spell progression. Unlike with some other casters, prestiging out is always a balance. You can do it, and it's sometimes helpful for a build, but you need to be very mindful of the big things you're giving up, and at least pay some consideration to the little things, cause it's not like venom immunity and a thousand faces are nothing. You'll always be a very powerful character as long as you're using prepared casting off of a great list, but ignoring this stuff can make the overall build worse.