PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Terror of Tristram

Cilvyn
2015-07-24, 10:26 AM
http://oi59.tinypic.com/29iz9g.jpg

In the beginning
Since the birth of reality itself, the high Heavens and the pits of Hell have waged an endless war for anything of value within their realms of order and chaos. No side has gained much of anything at all for long, and, in their struggle, have often destroyed much of what they sought to claim. It is referred to as The Great Conflict.
The story begins with Inarius, a powerful angel and member of the Angiris Council. Tired of the constant fighting, he sees little point in their infinite war they are waging against Hell. Convinced that there must be others such as him in both Heaven and Hell, Inarius starts to search for other individuals who share his views on the war. To his surprise there are many such as himself, and together with Lilith, daughter of Mephisto, he leads a great exodus. Together, they defect from Heaven and Hell and search for another place to live.

They succeed in stealing the Worldstone, a huge object of immense power which was the centerpiece of the world and was the source of power for many ancient artefacts and used it to create Sanctuary, a world of men, as aparadise and refuge from the Great Confilict

To protect this world from both Heaven and Hell, they used the stolen Worldstone. It acted as a protective barrier, and effectively prevented angels and demons from either directly invading Sanctuary or noticing its existence at all. How exactly it worked remains unclear, but work it did.
The two races of Heaven and Hell tried to live peacefully with each other on Sanctuary, and even mated with each other, spawning the first generation of humans, called the Nephalem. It quickly became apparent that the Nephalem were as powerful as their parents, and had the potential to be much, much more than any angel or demon. This caused struggle among the higher beings. Inarius wanted to kill the humans, as he viewed them as a threat to their own existence. Lilith, on the other hand, wanted to raise the Nephalem to an army and have them fight both Heaven and Hell. The two began fighting, and Inarius cast out Lilith from Sanctuary and imprisoned her in The Void, claiming Sanctuary as his own. Many of the Nephalem were slain during this time, but some survived.

Eventually both the Heavens and Hells discovered the existence of Sanctuary and another great war was fought over it. After the battle, a gathering was held between the Angels and Mephisto. Sanctuary was all but destroyed, but all hope was not lost. Some, like Rathma, pleaded with Heaven to spare Sanctuary. A vote was held between the Angels. Imperius voted against Sanctuary's existence and Auriel argued strongly for it. The deciding vote was laid by Tyrael, who initially seemed to show little love for humanity, something which has evidently developed over the years since this event. Together with Mephisto, a deal was made between Heaven and Hell. Sanctuary was to live on its own, with no war brought there by Heaven or Hell. Humanity would choose for themselves what to do. In return for agreeing to this, Mephisto obtained custody of Inarius and took him to the Burning Hells. Mephisto sought Inarius because it was him and his daughter Lilith that was responsible for the creation of Sanctuary and the Nephalem.

After this the four lesser Evils sought a chance to dominate the Hells. Azmodan, Belial, Andariel, and Duriel are the four Lesser Evils of Hell. Whether Diablo and his brothers, the two other Great Evils intended for it or not, the Four Lesser Evils plotted and ultimately exiled the Three Primes into Sanctuary. In their absence, Belial, the lord of Lies, and Azmodan, the Lord of Sin, engaged in a civil war between themselves. Their war rages in the deepest pits of Hell to this day.

The Angel Tyrael learns of the Three's exile into Sanctuary and mobilizes to stop them. He creates the Horadrim, a collection of the most powerful human Magi, including Jered Cain, Deckard Cain's ancestor, and Tal Rasha. Tyrael charges the Horadrim with the capture of the Three Prime Evils, giving them Soulstones to imprison the souls of Diablo and his brothers within. One by one they find and imprison the Primes. Unable to permanently destroy the demons, the Horadrim are forced to instead hide the Soulstones.
Diablo had fled to the west and continued to evade capture for several decades after his brothers' capture. Eventually he was captured near today's Westmarch, and the Horadrim built a cathedral above his tomb to stand guard. As time passed by however, the Horadrim fell apart, and no one else remembered the evil imprisoned within.

22 Years ago
A conquering hero known as Leoric established himself as the king of Khanduras, a kingdom on the Western continent of Sanctuary. He appointed Tristram as the capital of this kingdom and used the abandoned cathedral there as his throne and central point of governance. Not soon after, King Leoric's most trusted advisor Archbishop Lazarus was drawn deeper into the cathedral by the Lord of Terror's Soulstone. The Archbishop, whether out of fear or temptation, shattered the Soulstone, releasing Diablo's trapped spirit. Unable to take King Leoric himself as a physical host, Diablo had the Archbishop Lazarus kidnap the king's son, Prince Albrecht, and brought him down into the Cathedral for Diablo to corrupt and use as his host to fully manifest as the Lord of Terror.

The King, already deranged from Diablo's attempts to possess him, went mad in his search for his lost son, sending many to their death out of suspicion of guilt. Ultimately Lazarus led the town's warriors into the cathedral as a trap for The Butcher, a minion wielding a bloody cleaver. King Leoric's physical form had withered away, but his soul found no peace and returned as a giant skeleton, still wearing his golden crown.

Several heroes travelled to Tristram, hearing rumors of a corrupting evil, vast riches, and arcane magic. The heroes were assisted in their journeys by Deckard Cain, a descendant of one of The Horadrim. Eventually, it was Aidan, the son of Leoric, who sought and ultimately vanquished Diablo deep in the depths under the Cathedral. Thinking he was able to contend with its evil, Aidan forced Diablo’s Soulstone into his own forehead. After returning to Tristram, the town's inhabitants celebrated their champion's victory, but Aidan had returned a much changed man, haunted by Diablo's essence.

Aidan departed Tristram and travelled to the East for answers to his nightmares. He becomes the dark wanderer and travels the world to free the Prime Evils and eventually freeing Diablo from his Soulstone Prison. Decart Cain, the heroes of Tristram venture to find Diablo and imprison him in hell with the Help of the Angel Tyreal, where he still is to this day.

Leoric originated from Kehjistan. At the behest of the Zakarum Church Leoric came into the lands of Khanduras and, in the name of the Zakarum, declared himself to be king. He was unaware that Zakarum had been corrupted byMephisto and that Lazarus, subtly under Mephisto's influence, was to ensure that Tristram would be his seat of power—the resting place of Diablo.

Leoric brought with him his family, knights and priests, the latter two groups forming hisOrder of the Light. Along with his advisor Lazarus, Leoric and his entourage made their way to the town of Tristram, appropriating the decrepit monastery on its outskirts as his seat of power. Although the people of Khanduras were not pleased with coming under the rule of a foreign king, Leoric served them with justice and might. Eventually, his subjects came to respect him for his purity of heart and deed. A case in point was Griswold, who forged Leoric's mithril sword and crown.

Leoric's Corruption
Unknown to Leoric however, his seat of power was the resting place of Diablo, imprisoned in the catacombs beneath the cathedral by the Horadrim long ago. Lazarus fell under the Lord of Terror's sway, shattering his soulstone. Requiring an anchor to the world, Diablo chose the strongest soul available to him to be his host—Leoric himself
For many months, Leoric secretly fought against Diablo's will. Sensing that he had been possessed by some unknown evil, Leoric kept his condition a secret from those close to him, believing that his piety would be enough to exorcise the demon's corruption. In this he was sorely mistaken, and Diablo stripped away the core of Leoric's being, burning all honor and virtue from his soul. Lazarus, now also under Diablo's sway, kept close to his lord at all times, and sought to keep Leoric's condition a secret. Despite this, Leoric's change in demeanor became known to his subjects. His once proud visage became rugged and deformed while his sanity slipped away. Becoming increasingly deranged, Leoric began ordering immediate executions of any who questioned his decisions or authority while he sent his knights to the outlying towns to bully them into submission. At the height of his madness, Leoric would evince his displeasure by pummeling courtiers, servants, and even foreign dignitaries with his scepter. Horrified by his actions, Leoric's subjects began calling him "the Black King."

Lazarus, concerned of the suspicions Leoric's subjects had, convinced the now delusional king that the kingdom of Westmarch was plotting to take over and annex Khanduras, manipulating him into declaring war, diverting attention as well as sending many troublesome knights into their deaths when the armies of Westmarch inevitably crushed those of Khanduras. Leoric's priests were meanwhile sent as emissaries. Thanks to Lazarus's words, Leoric even ordered the execution of Queen Asylla, his own wife, by guillotine.

The Fall of King Leoric
With the lack of inquisitive eyes, Diablo had free rein to assert his will over his vassal. However, Diablo found that a part of the king's soul still fought against him, and that he would still not be able to take full control. Thus he abandoned his attempts to take over Leoric, leaving him broken and crazed as he much more easily took control of his youngest son Albrecht instead.
When King Leoric found that his son had gone missing, he went into a rage and had many innocent people executed for kidnapping the prince, slipping deeper into madness with each passing day. He was eventually slain by his own lieutenant, the knight Lachdanan, who returned from the quickly lost war only to find that he, too, was being accused of the kidnapping, and that the king was nothing but a raving madman who set his other warriors upon those returning. The knights came to blows and Lachdanan begged Leoric to explain his actions. Leoric simply spat at him, condemning Lachdanan and his men as traitors. Sorrowfully, Lachdanan struck down his liege, Leoric cursing him and all of his knights in his last moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mUe5vHYzs

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/diablo/images/5/50/Tristram1_final2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080721203801

You enter the town of New Tristram. Although it is late afternoon the sky is cloudy, dark and rain poors from the sky. The gate is lit with torches like a defensive ward all around the village wall. When you approach the guardsmen ain their crossbows at you, but once you speak and they can see you are not one fo the monsters roaming the fields outside the safe wooded walls, they quickly open the gate for you to let you in.

Once inside you follow a dirt road towards a building that looks like an inn where you can stay the night. You heard stories about the village and the other village it was named after. Most inhabitants live more uphill and the place where you jus entered is more like a large open square with artisanshouses, marketplaces and taverns. The village used to be a important place for farmers to sell their wares, artisans to trade with merchants in the harbor, not far the the marketsquare. Now there lies a grim darkness over the village and the smell of death penetrates your nose. You imagine the plague must have struck here first and in the last few days countless people must have died. The cathedral is not in the village but you can see its outlinings on the dark horizon against the pale moon.

You shake most of the rain from your clothes as you enter the inn. A comfy warmth embraces you when you enter and the stench of death makes place for the smell of a butning fire and stew. Inside you see several farmers, their faces are dark and angry and you are smart enough not to greet them with too much joy. At the counter you see a young human woman. She wears a red shirt and has half long brown hair. She talks with the innkeeper, a huge 7 feet tall man with a very rough appearance, clearly a goliath.

http://www.gamoholic.net/images/stories/Diablo_III_Blizzcon09/Dilapidated_Tavern.jpg
http://www.simmonsasylum.com/GameResources/DJ/Inn1-Floorplan.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/hv9v7r.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ae/7f/0c/ae7f0cf89c48940aaf11b6eccd92e7cc.jpg

"Sadeir, Listen. We have to do something! The patrol with Captain Stephen has not returned yet and the longer we wait the longer my Uncle will be down there. He will die!"

"Leah Lis'n, He migh be dead already, y'know? I mean not to expect tha worst here, but 'ave ye seen the things that walk 'round there?"

"Uncle is strong, I am sure he is still alive and someone has to find out what is causing people to rise again after the plague killed them. I am sure it has to do something with the falling star. It cannot be a coincidence!"

"I hear ye. But who is brave 'nough to venture down there, mh? Surely not a girl like you, we need soldiers, but they die just as easily from the plague as simple farmers."

You walk in and see three others who look like they do not belong here but traveled a long way to here. As if Leah expect you to say anything she looks at you, but then smiles at Sadeir and walks to a table in the corner of the in and opens a large tome and reads through it while sipping a glass of milk.

"Welcom' welcom'. It surely been a looong time since we had adventurers in New Tristram, isn't it Leah, and now suddenly they poor in like something special happened that drew them to us, like say a Star Falling from the sky and the dead popping out of the ground like freshly sewed corn.... What can I get ye?" he quickly asks when Leah glimpse at him with an angry face.

GPuzzle
2015-07-29, 08:49 AM
Vyse

Vyse calmly walks to the counter, sitting in one of the stools while searching for something in his pocket in the meantime.

"Just some ale and some meat, cheese and bread. Nothing too special here."

As the bartender turns around, he starts talking to the woman next to him.

"I can see you're definetively worried about your uncle. Mind explaining to us the current state of affairs in here?"

Cilvyn
2015-07-29, 09:10 AM
The young woman, just a few yours older than yourself strokes her hair behind her ear and looks up from her book a little disturbed at first, but then more curious than anything else.

"Call me Leah. You are here because of the falling star, right? You're not the first. Yesterday some folks arrived but didn't seem to be too eager to help us out." Her voice raises a bit in frustration. "Yes my Uncle, Deckard. I lost him in the Cathedral when the star struck down. I barely survived and I would have tried to find him, but..." She pulls up her shirt a bit and you see a large burn on her side and groans softly when the fabric touches her skin again when she puts it back down. "I could not do much...

"Here's ye ale, lad and some bread. I unfortunatly cannot give you any meat. They say our stock's plagued as well, but here's sum cheese."

"Leah, let it go gal. Cain is an old man not as strong ans resiliant as you anymore."

The innkeeper turns towards you while drying a cup in his massive hands.

"Cain's a good man, very old, wise and who knows what he did in his life to pr'tect us all, and though it's hard, we gotta accept that we lose the poeple we love."

Sadeir turns to the others enterting the inn and leaves you two.

"So when the star hit the cathedral, I was forced to go back and get medical attention. I must have fallen asleep because it is now two days ago. Blast it!! Why is everyone so stupid. I should go back there myself and find him if it were not for all those undead creatures walking around."

"Have you seen them? We're trapped here..."

GPuzzle
2015-07-29, 09:47 AM
The young woman, just a few yours older than yourself strokes her hair behind her ear and looks up from her book a little disturbed at first, but then more curious than anything else.

"Call me Leah. You are here because of the falling star, right? You're not the first. Yesterday some folks arrived but didn't seem to be too eager to help us out." Her voice raises a bit in frustration. "Yes my Uncle, Deckard. I lost him in the Cathedral when the star struck down. I barely survived and I would have tried to find him, but..." She pulls up her shirt a bit and you see a large burn on her side and groans softly when the fabric touches her skin again when she puts it back down. "I could not do much...

"Here's ye ale, lad and some bread. I unfortunatly cannot give you any meat. They say our stock's plagued as well, but here's sum cheese."

"Leah, let it go gal. Cain is an old man not as strong ans resiliant as you anymore."

The innkeeper turns towards you while drying a cup in his massive hands.

"Cain's a good man, very old, wise and who knows what he did in his life to pr'tect us all, and though it's hard, we gotta accept that we lose the poeple we love."

Sadeir turns to the others enterting the inn and leaves you two.

"So when the star hit the cathedral, I was forced to go back and get medical attention. I must have fallen asleep because it is now two days ago. Blast it!! Why is everyone so stupid. I should go back there myself and find him if it were not for all those undead creatures walking around."

"Have you seen them? We're trapped here..."

"So, the legendary Deckard Cain might be dead...", Vyse's voice shrinks from slightly enthusiastic into a bit bitter. "This isn't a good start. I suppose he's taught you some things, has he?"

Cilvyn
2015-07-29, 10:15 AM
Leah looks at you surprized, you're pretty young and the deeds of her uncle are mostly forgotten over the years, so someone of her generation speaking of it, intrigues her.

"I suppose so... Mostly just stories and research. We traveled alot." She inhales deeply her eyes getting a bit watery.

"Yes, I learned alot from him, He is like a father to me."

GPuzzle
2015-07-29, 10:57 AM
"That's good, that's very good... If he dies without passing the stories on, the stories die with him. Last time I checked, that wasn't good at all.", comments Vyse as he takes a sip from the mug, "But there's you. And you have his stories. You have his knowledge. Even if he's dead, you're the one keeping him alive. Don't ever forget that."

Noticing he had been the only one speaking, he turns to the other two who had entered the Inn alongside him: a human woman of some 30 years or so who seemed to come out one of the tribes of the north that was taller than him by quite a few centimeters - Vyse was short compared to most of his peers, but that was always the advantage when it came to sneaking by - and a dragon-esque woman, armored like a champion of faith, that seemed to be a lot bigger than him - yup, he definetively was the shorty in this situation, he had to be careful. After analyzing them for a second or so, he mentions:

"So, can you two present yourselves to anyone in here? They're wanting some heroes here to check a fallen star."

Cilvyn
2015-07-29, 11:11 AM
"He is not dead, okay?"

"Why keep people telling me he is."

Leah sits straight and frowns from the pain at her side. like Vyse she looks curious at the other two strangers.

Ridai
2015-07-29, 12:12 PM
Wreathed in a worn-looking cloak, quiet long strides guide the figure inside. Senses sharp, the conversations are observed and the figure stands closer to Vyse than he initially anticipated. Raluca does not pull her hood back, her stature and the bit of red hair and the strong weather-and-violence-marked chin enough signs of her heritage, even though her figure is more slender than what people imagine the average barbarian to be like.

"No rock from the skies kills Cain." The harsh accent of her homeland is apparent in the woman's deep voice, the statement final. "I seek the star, and now Cain." Again, final, determined, attention focused on Leah.

Cilvyn
2015-07-29, 05:06 PM
Leah's face lightens up and she wants to jump up but the wound prevents her from doing so.

"You are from the North aren't you! My uncle told me stories about the proud people of mount Areat. Are you really here to help us? We need my uncle, he surely will know what to do. It is chaos. Farmers lost their lands to the undead creatures and the plague killed most of the town in just two days!! We have more bodies than people to burry them! We actually started burning them because of the dead coming back to life again."

"If you want to go to the cathedral, I can show you the way. It is not far, about an hour walk I know a shortcut through the woods, if I didn't have this blasted burn... Although I can probably walk a bit."

"I.." Leah Blushes "I forget to thank you. Thank you for helping us! The adventurers yesterday went with some of the townsfolk to Kingsport, they think they wil be safer there. Rumfort told me, since I was well... asleep."

She turns to the young man lose to her and the dragon woman who has been silent the whole time but her presence was surely noticed.

"Are you some sort of mercenary band?... I have not much to pay you, but I will give you everything I have if you bring back my uncle safely!"

"Leah, you sure talk alot, but you're right. We need Cain. The mayor fled town, the coward, so we need someone who can tell us what to do. Who better than the village elder?' The innkeep agrees with his goliath accent that has a small resemblence with the accent from the barbarian woman, although even more raw.

Estralita
2015-07-29, 08:08 PM
Irene in general was not a talkative woman. On the guard, she was taught to only speak to the public to give instructions, and when she was with the worshipers of Pelor, she was the one doing the listening. Now that she was out in the world, it was her duty to speak, to teach others of her god as she was taught, but Irene was having trouble with that part. But when asked of her livelihood, Irene was provoked to speak. "I am no mercenary. I fight for no cause that is not just, and take money from no person who cannot afford it. Keep your gold on my part."

A bit rash, considering Irene was not well off, but it made her scales itch, to be paid for her sword. Reminded her of less honorable times.

Ridai
2015-07-30, 02:41 AM
"I am not one with the Children of Bul-Kathos anymore." And once more, no further discussion is invited, just like when she, after listening stoically, says in her rough voice "No mercenary, keep your belongings. Tell us the path and rest here. Wounded, your body won't run when it needs to." Honestly, that was more than she usually says throughout an entire day. Considering for a moment, she adds "I am Raluca."

Cilvyn
2015-07-30, 04:12 AM
Leah's smile becomes bigger as more of you offer your service to help her lost uncle.

"You should ask Captain Rumford. He is in charge of the militia defending the town since captain Daltyn went missing. They locked the gate of the cathedral before evacuating the farmlands around New Tristram because of the rising dead. He can surely show you the fasted way there. He should be outside at the gates."

"I will study these books hopefully I can find some answers to this apocalypse."

Ridai
2015-07-30, 04:33 AM
The tall woman nods and turns to leave, the destination clear, no time to waste, out to find said Captain.

GPuzzle
2015-07-30, 05:08 AM
"Good, let's get going.", says Vyse, before his face lights up as he finds something in his pocket. Pulling a folded paper, he hands it to Leah with a slight smile on his face.

"My dad wanted this to be delivered to Deckard. It'll be my gift to you, ok?", comments Vyse, handing it to Leah, before moving out from the building.

Cilvyn
2015-07-30, 09:12 AM
Leah surprized take the letter from your hand.

"Uh.. Yes I will read... no, no I will give it to my uncle when he is back!"

"Please bring him back and yoruselfs back safely, and thank you again so much for your help. I am forever in your dept"

When you exit the inn you are back on the dirt road of the village. New Tristram is not very big, mostly farmers and artisans, craftsman, live here or come here to sell their wares and buy their necassary goods. It used to be a flourishing town with alot of potential, untill two days back. Now the streets look neglected and although it is just a few days ago you feel a sinister atmosphere everywhere you walk.

New Tristram is a village of aprox 1000 inhabitants, this is quite alot even for our real world medieval standards. Only really prospering cities like Caldeum or Lut Gholein will have more than 100.000 inhabitants. Kingsport is in that way a fairly large city. New Tristram was built near the ruins of Old Tritram, which was abandoned 20 years ago after the corruption of King Leoric. All that remains are ruins, and people most of the time avoid the place, affraid of the evil that once lurked below. The Cathedral still stands. A massive building that Leoric took as his residence while he was king. The archives and the place as whole would mostly be to old and damaged but it is not understandable for someone like Cain to dwell there and do research while others rather close their eyes to what could maybe happen in the future and just live their lives as simple farmers.

You walk back to the village gate where two men and a woman stand guard. Their equipment is fairly poor, mostly just scrap put together with here and there some actual armour pieces. These are not soldiers but militia, volunteering to defend the village wall. One of the man stands out, his armour looks better and the way he is present emerges some sort of air of authority. That must be captain Rumford. When you come closer he steps forward and greets you.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/1zi5jo.jpg

When you come closer you see the delecate features of an elf he could be any age since elves don't mature that much, but he doesn't look much older than a human of 30 years old. You expect him to be older since he would have some experience in the field to be a captain of the watch, even if it just a town militia.

"Greetings' he makes a small bow when you stand close. "It is late afernoon I strongly suggest you don't go outside. The weather is bad and it will be dark soon. Also, did you not just arrive here?"

GPuzzle
2015-07-30, 09:28 AM
"Yes. But we're here to find out what happened to that falling star. And as far as I know, that can't wait."

Ridai
2015-07-30, 01:15 PM
"Tell us the way to the cathedral."

Estralita
2015-07-30, 01:32 PM
Irene simply nods with the group. Nothing really more to say.

Cilvyn
2015-07-30, 01:41 PM
"You talked with Leah haven't you. By Zakarum, someone should talk some sense into that girl. Decard Cain is dead. The falling star brought the dead back to life and I know no fauler place than the Cathedral itself, there is no way even Deckard Cain could have survived the plague there."

He looks at you a bit closer

"But you are no ordinary refugees, you're warriors aren't you? I can see you have quite some potential, just what we need."

"I tell you what, if you are so determined to get to the cathedral, I will come with you halfway and be back before dark myself. Some of the men did not return yesterday. Maybe we can find out what happened to them I got some of their relatives here asking alot of questions about their whereabouts. So, you help me, I help you. Sounds fair?"

GPuzzle
2015-07-30, 01:46 PM
"To me, it's fair." Vyse quickly puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, ready to draw it upon a moment's notice.

Ridai
2015-07-30, 02:18 PM
An affirmative grunt from Raluca.

Estralita
2015-07-30, 03:16 PM
Irene nodded once more, and grasped her Sunblade. "Lead on."

Cilvyn
2015-07-31, 04:22 AM
Captain Runford talks with female guard in Evish. If you speak it you can understand the words, but it is also clear that he is making arrangements so he can leave town and thus give instructions for when he is absent. To the other guard it is clear that he will join the captain on this small mission.

They don't have to pack much, the guardsman quickly takes some provisions from the small watchtower and is back in a minute.

The forest is actually right next to town and a simple road leads you through the high trees. The sun is already setting, although it won't be dark for at least 2 hours the trees cast long shadows and darken the road you walk on.

Rumford speaks in a soft voice as you walk.

"I would have given us some horses if we had some to spare, but most animals died during the plague or where eaten, either by us as food or slaughtered by the undead outside. Also this road is too small to acrially ride on, let alone the attention we would draw from everything that is out here. I am amazed how you actually managed to get to our little town.'

"Do you know Leah that you willingly take on this dangerous quest to find her uncle, or do you know Cain himself?" The last question is directed at the slightly older tall woman.

Ridai
2015-07-31, 05:58 AM
The lack of horses does not bother Raluca in the slightest, well used to using her own two legs to get where she needs to go.

"A Child of Bul-Kathos was at Cain's and Tyrael's side as they imprisoned the Great Evil. He returned as champion and told the tale. Deckard Cain will not be abandoned." In the back of her head, Raluca is extremely aware of the fact that she is walking into the lion's den. But it cannot be helped.

Cilvyn
2015-07-31, 04:04 PM
"Yes, I know Deckard cain for as long as I live in New Tristram, and Old Tristram before that. Although I am... I was a simple carpenter from the other continent. I made furnature from wood from the jungles there after I served in the army during the war that's why I hold the post of Captain here, not something I'd chose, but dark time call for darm measures, just like twenty years back. I more and more think Cain was right."

Rumford speaks softly as you make your way through the forest. It is awkwardly quiet, no birds sing only the hoarse caw of a crow now and then. Over time the sun casts longer and longer shadows and the density of trees make it darker than it probably would be above the treetops.

"Leah you know, a good girl. Her mother left her to the care of her uncle and lest town after King Leoroic was defeated by his Son Aidan. He raised her and they traveled alot. He is the only relative she has left, so it is understandable that she is so devastated about the disapearance of her uncle. But cain is an old man, for a human that is." The elf smiles sadly while speaking about the human frailty. You walk for about an hour.

"I'm surprized we haven't seen any of those undead creatures yet, I was a bit affraid to be honest, they were crawling all over the place close to town."

"It's very noble of you three to venture out and look for him Cain would smile if he heard that..."

"Captain!" The other guard speaks suddenly while raising his hand, making known to you that you should hold.

"The outpost is there, but I thought I saw something move... I am not sure Captain."

You are close to the edge of the woods and close to a larger road than you're on now. It actually is paved with some stones to make it less vunerable to water turning the street into a mudpool. About 100 meters away (300 ft aprox) there is a wooden building with a waist high stone fence. you are still within the brushwoods and not visable from the outposts line of sight if you choose to stay low and within the trees. The road that goes by the outpost goes to the Cathedral. you can see the tower of the cathedral already and you estimate the time walking to there not to be more than 10 minutes.

You come from the east seen on this map
http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Outpost.jpg

Ridai
2015-07-31, 04:58 PM
Raluca does not say much on the way, stoically ever moving forward.

When they are close to the outpost, she scans their surroundings and gestures for them to be quiet. Lowering her stance, she attempts to sneak closer, get a better look. This wouldn't be the first overrun outpost she has encountered in her life, packed with grisly death from wall to wall. Her blade is already in hand, long having learned to draw it quickly and silently.

Stealth [roll0]

GPuzzle
2015-08-02, 03:52 PM
Vyse follows, suit, and sneaks alongside Raluca:

[roll0] Stealth

Estralita
2015-08-02, 04:14 PM
Irene stiffened slightly, and put her hand on her blade. Irene knew perfectly well she was not the best at sneaking, so she instead held back for a bit, examining the outpost, and watching for trouble. If necessary, she could light up her Sunblade and provide a distraction, and if no one came, she could follow afterwards, and not jeopardize the others.

Perception roll
[roll0]

Cilvyn
2015-08-02, 06:31 PM
As you sneak closer you see the post and indeed there is some movement. Two armed men are standing close to the entrance with their backs towards you. A third guard is standing near the doorpost. They just stand quietly on duty overlooking the area away from the treeline, they haven't noticed you yet.

"The one at the doorpost is Higgins son, the Butcher. I sent him to the outpost this morning to check on the patrol that didn't come home yesterday. I wonder why he did not come home today if everything is fine.

"The other two are Rick and Tanner, good lads, although their mom can be quite a hasle, she wouldn't leave me alone after her boys volunteered that I'd keep an eye on them. Haha."

Rumfords face brighten up and you can hear a sign of relief.

"Pfew I'm happy they are okay. Let's go there and ask what happened. the I can head back home before dark, the Cathedral is not more than 15 minutes walk from here."

For the exact locations of the guards.
http://oi59.tinypic.com/2zpjqd2.jpg

Ridai
2015-08-03, 12:15 AM
Raluca stops Rumford and gestures to him to stay put.. There is something she needs to check first. From her hiding spot, she picks up a stone and throws it into the canopy of the tree to the left of the entrance to the outpost. Hopefully, the soldiers will turn just enough to get a glimpse at their face.

Cilvyn
2015-08-03, 07:23 AM
The rock hits the ground not fat from the guards. Oddly enough there is no response at all. the guards just stand still and stare at the horizon.

Ridai
2015-08-03, 08:45 AM
"Your men are gone." Raluca's voice placing a named tombstone on top of a desecrated grave, it's missing inhabitants undead and standing in the outpost. "Leave before the undead notice." There is nothing for them here. They are better off heading to the cathedral from here.

Cilvyn
2015-08-04, 04:38 PM
"BY zakarum, you are right... Oh good heavens, what do I tell their wifes and children." The elf shakes his head in mourning.

"Captain, you better head back to town. I will lead them to the cathedral and then march back to base double time and catch up with you before dark."

"Alright, Kormac, make sure you get back safe. Don't take any risks on the way back home, we have enough casualties for today."

"Good luck strangers, I sincerely hope I am wrong and you find master Cain unharmed, but I fear the worst. I will check on Leah, she probably will be up all night waiting for you to come home."

Captain Rumford takes one last look at the outpost, shakes his head and then gathers his courage and disapears in the woods the way you came.

"Poor captain, he already got so much on his mind, let alone telling another few families their husbands and sons won't come home."

"The cathedral is just another fifteen minutes up the road, we better stay clear from the outpost and get to the road via there." He points to an brsh covered place where you can stay out of sight from the guards.

Cilvyn
2015-08-08, 04:13 AM
After a short walk the Cathedral comes fully in sight. It is a massive building worthy of once being the throne of the king of these lands. Although it has been twenty years since it has been abandoned and it now looks more than a ruin than anything else.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/diablo/images/9/98/CHURCH_final.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080721203700

It is about a hundred meters to the entrance when you arrive at the gate to the cemetary which is the only way to the cathedral itself as well. When you look closer to the cathedral, a spectral blue glow can be seen now the sun is setting lower and lower. On the burrial grounds you can see movement. As the Captain said, they locked the gate to keep the evil inside when the guards retreated from the cathedral itself. There are a few figures walking between the gravestones. They move very lowly and just like the guards at the outpost, seem not to be aware of their surroundings.

The problem is that it is at least a hundred meters to the entrnace of the cathedral. The front door is open, so you would have no trouble getting in and barring the door behind you, but the crossing of the cemetary would be a problem with these corpses wandering around.

Kormac looks at you and whispers softly not to draw any attention from the figures walking not more than 20 meters away from you. "Myladies and sir, I have the key to the cathedral gate here. Are you sure you want to do this? If so I will follow you as I also think Cain might be alive and it is my duty to at least make sure there is no safing him, before I can face Leah again tonight."

To give an impression of the Cemetary
http://www.diabloii.net/gallery/data/688/medium/teaser11.jpg

Ridai
2015-08-08, 04:58 AM
"Yes."

Raluca scans the graveyard. The zombies are too spreadout. Not good, they could easily converge from all sides. "Slow, singleminded, dangerous if they surround." She turns to the others. "I will circle around, climb that wall," she points through the gate, diagonally across the grounds to the high wall marking the border of the cemetary. "and lure them. They groan and walk to me, more will hear groans and follow, like a herd. When most are at the wall, you run to the cathedral. Don't stop, close the door if undead get too close, I will find a way in."

The tall woman drives the point home with a look from beneath her hood, before moving along the wall, setting her plan into motion. She has mobility on her side. If necessary, she can climb atop structures, move along tree branches, scale the cathedral itself is she needs to. And she can run, a vital difference between her and the horde. Once she rounds the corner of the graveyard wall, she advances about thirty meters along the wall before scaling it, peeking over it to get a sense of the terrain, possible routes for herself and how many undead are nearby.

Raluca can easily climb over walls with Acrobat's Trick which gives her climb speed.

The highest priority is to draw the zombies away from the path to the cathedral, and a bit towards the far corners to prevent the horde from intercepting the others halfway across. Raluca herself plans to navigate the graveyard by dropping behind the wall again, crossing it several meters away from where she stood, then making use of Acrobat's Trick, Sneak's Trick, stealth and plain old running to get to the cathedral. If the door needs to be closed before she arrives, she plans on scaling the outside and smash a window to enter.

I feel this is a situation where the Thief's mobility really shines.

GPuzzle
2015-08-10, 04:16 PM
"Well, looks like we've got ourselves in a situation. We're gonna have to get the drop on them. Beware of any signals I throw. Try to stick together.", says Vyse, as he talks to Irene. "Death is probably not what we want right now."

Estralita
2015-08-10, 09:45 PM
Irene drew her sword. "Right. Yell if you need help, or just a big distraction."

Cilvyn
2015-08-11, 04:08 AM
http://oi61.tinypic.com/16c6xz4.jpg
[OOC= this is the closest thing I could finally find. All the red dots are zombies.]

The cemetary is almost like a city plan. There are some main 'roads' with small mausuleums and graves alongside. Sometimes there is even a small chapel. Everything else besides the paths is brushes and overgrown tombs and graves. The church main entrance is not too far away, but still you would have to make your way through quite some walking dead. Around the entire grounds is a high strong metal fence, where aparently the dead cannot climb over. it is also pretty high for a normal human to climb over, although it would be possible if really need be.

I hope this still makes the plan viable, otherwise feel free Ridai to adjust it with this visual map, now available

Ridai
2015-08-11, 04:33 AM
Raluca nods to Irene. She rounds the corner and gets an overview of the lay of the land. Two main roads leading from north to south. Good, this makes things easier. She briefly heads back to the group, telling them that she will lure the undead towards the southeastern corner. Then, she heads back to where she came from, looking down the western north-to-south road. Raluca takes a deep breath and shouts, to make it carry as far as it can, making more noise by clanging her blade against the fence. If the zombies war down the road also come towards her, that's her sign that her plan is working. Having the fence between her and the undead lets her direct them from relative safety, visible to them as she waves her arms, trying to draw them first down to the southern fence, then slowly towards the southeast, to draw in as many stray undead as she can.