PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to build a psychic monk?

Totema
2015-07-24, 11:04 AM
Back when I played 3.5, my build of choice involved Monk 2, plus Tashalatora, into Psychic Warrior the rest of the way through. But now that I'm on a PF kick, I noticed that there's a few different ways to do it.

Since Tashalatora's no longer a thing in PF (and my GM is pretty picky with keeping everything PF-native), I'm not certain there's too many ways to advance monk features alongside other classes, and although Psychic Fist looks interesting, it also looks fairly unwieldy - particularly since I'd lose too many manifester levels for me to feel like I'd be getting my effort's worth. The Meditant PW archetype looks fairly promising, especially considering the fact that you don't lose manifester levels, but it doesn't seem to have the same kind of monk-ish crunch that I was hoping to preserve. Anyone have any advice on this?

Chimmon
2015-07-24, 11:49 AM
I had great fun with a Monk(Master of Many Styles) 2, Soulknife (Deadly Fist & Gifted) 3, Aegis 3, Metaforge X. The fluff was that his mind powered his body both directly via Deadly Fist, and indirectly via the Aegis' Astral Suit.

Can get Focused Offense for getting most everything from Wisdom (bonus to hit, damage, and AC). Gets a Flurry bladeskill, so you don't miss it from MoMS, and instead get to pick up to prerequisite free style feats.

Of course one could say he's more of an unarmed Metaforge than a monk. :)

IZ42
2015-07-24, 03:20 PM
Here you go:

Enlightened Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-options/monk/enlightened-monk)

Psyren
2015-07-24, 03:55 PM
Meditant gets Wis to AC, monk unarmed strike, and flurry. Everything else it can approximate through the powers of its mind.

I guess I'm having trouble trying to grasp what "monk-ish crunch" you feel it's missing?

Totema
2015-07-24, 05:31 PM
Mediant looks great, but it doesn't add a ki pool (which is a bit redundant with manifester powers, but it would still be nice to have the option) and unarmed strike damage doesn't progress as quickly. And enlightened monk looks like a good starting point, but again I'm not too happy about leaving those class abilities alone once I'd multiclass away from it.

I gotta say though, I'm actually pretty intrigued about the possibility of a soul knife monk. PF's soul knife looks a lot more viable than what I'm used to in 3.5, at least!

Forrestfire
2015-07-24, 05:55 PM
Doesn't soulknife even get a punching archetype? See if that works at the same time as gifted blade (or use the sidebar from the Augmented Soulknife playtests to get it) and you might get something that fits.

Secret Wizard
2015-07-24, 06:05 PM
If you don't mind using the Paizo kind of psychic, the Esoteric Magus from Occult Adventures can do this.

Totema
2015-07-24, 06:06 PM
Yup, Deadly Fist and Gifted Blade are indeed usable together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I take the Gifted Blade archetype, couldn't I qualify for the dark tempest (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/dark-tempest) PrC from soulknife alone? And then gain psychic strike bonus damage alongside advancing my gifted blade powers? Because that seems like a pretty sweet deal!

Psyren
2015-07-24, 06:40 PM
Yes, though that does depend on whether you consider +4d8 psychic strike to be worth losing 3 bladeskills and 3 BAB, so consider it carefully.