PDA

View Full Version : Joy Buzzer for the Healers (Spell)

Umarth
2007-05-03, 08:09 AM
This spell should teach those clerics and druids not to interupt your killing.

This spell was created by a wizard who was frustrated by diving casters undoing his damage.

Name Lingering Lighting
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: 120 ft
Area: 120ft line
Duration: 1 round / 3 levels or discharged
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You release a powerful stroke of electrical energy that deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to each creature within its area. The bolt begins at your fingertips. Any creatures damaged by the lighting bolt become infused with a magical electric trap causing the next creature that touches them with a melee touch attack, including casting a beneficial spell, to take 1d6 damage per two caster levels (5d6 max).

The lightning bolt sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in its path. It can melt metals with a low melting point, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, or bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the bolt may continue beyond the barrier if the spell’s range permits; otherwise, it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

Material Component
A bit of fur and an amber, crystal, or glass rod.

jindra34
2007-05-03, 08:23 AM
Ohhh... i honestly would move it up a notch in spell level though... it's really powerful...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-03, 09:28 AM
Hmm.

I think the damage that the "trapped" creatures do should be based on how much damage they took.

henebry
2007-05-03, 10:12 AM
What, exactly, do you mean by "electrically trapped"? Just that no one can touch them without taking damage? Or are they unable to move? Make the wording less ambiguous.

Umarth
2007-05-03, 10:21 AM
Ohhh... i honestly would move it up a notch in spell level though... it's really powerful...

I based this off Cone of Cold which can do 15d6 damage. This seemed a bit weaker than that since it's very likely to only do 10d6 damage. What are other peoples feelings? Should it be 6th level?

Hmm.

I think the damage that the "trapped" creatures do should be based on how much damage they took.

I thought about this as well but it seemed like it would add more paperwork than fun.

What, exactly, do you mean by "electrically trapped"? Just that no one can touch them without taking damage? Or are they unable to move? Make the wording less ambiguous.

Changed trapped to charged and a bit of the wording. Hopefully it's clearer now.

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-03, 10:25 AM
You should have people who are aware of being electrically charged be able to ground themselves if they touch a conductive metal or other material that runs to ground.

Umarth
2007-05-03, 10:56 AM
You should have people who are aware of being electrically charged be able to ground themselves if they touch a conductive metal or other material that runs to ground.

That's no fun though. If I where to allow that to keep the spell balanced I'd probably want to raise the damage it does.

They can always discharge it by making a melee touch attack against themselves. Just a bit of a static charge when they do.

Demented
2007-05-03, 05:29 PM
But a normal melee attack roll doesn't discharge? Even with an unarmed (read: bare fist) attack?
How does that work?

brian c
2007-05-03, 05:36 PM
But a normal melee attack roll doesn't discharge? Even with an unarmed (read: bare fist) attack?
How does that work?

Yeah, it should be on any melee attack (not just touch attacks)

Umarth
2007-05-03, 05:55 PM
It's magic and thus spooky that way.

Let's just say the wizard that researched it had no desire to have his fighter companions electrocuted by this spell. Thus he designed it to only discharge on melee touch attacks. If you like you can say that it’s not really electricity but rather a magical trap that discharges electricity in the right condition.

If we want to look at how things work in "reality" then we've got problems from the get go when the wizard can shoot lighting in the first place.

Demented
2007-05-03, 06:22 PM
If it were made on all melee attacks, this spell should be called "Surprising Provoking the Meat Shield for Fun and Profit More Fun".

In any case, it's just the fluff that's confusing. Saying that a creature becomes "electrically charged", implies that the charge hasn't been magically programmed. Thus, logically, it should also work on melee attacks, which are more involved than touch attacks.

Perhaps specifying a little more on what touch attacks it effects (i.e. only touch spells), or adding some extra fluff on how the charge works, would mitigate the confusion?

Umarth
2007-05-03, 07:44 PM
Edited the flavor text for better clarity.

Lapak
2007-05-04, 08:09 AM
How does that work?If this is truly supposed to be an anti-healing spell, I'd reword it so that it only discharges when the touch attack carries a positive-energy charge with it, like the one that accompanies a healing spell.

Egneil
2007-05-04, 10:19 AM
I don't think this would deter healers very much, so why not make it desrupt all touch attack spells.

Umarth
2007-05-04, 11:55 AM
If this is truly supposed to be an anti-healing spell, I'd reword it so that it only discharges when the touch attack carries a positive-energy charge with it, like the one that accompanies a healing spell.

As it stands it already zaps you on healing and if you try any other buffs or touch spells on the target. Bit broader scope this way.

I don't think this would deter healers very much, so why not make it desrupt all touch attack spells.

Thematic concept is probably the biggest reason I didn't got this way. Also it seems odd that an evocation spell would have a counter spell effect.

Lapak
2007-05-04, 12:02 PM
As it stands it already zaps you on healing and if you try any other buffs or touch spells on the target. Bit broader scope this way.True, but the fact that it has to be a touch attack seems weird. A monk's unarmed attack, for example, wouldn't discharge it; nor would a lion's claw attack.

While a touch-attack with an inflict spell or similar would.

Umarth
2007-05-04, 02:53 PM
I guess I could have it go off if they voluntarily allow a touch attack to succeed. So harmful spells would probably not set it off but healing and buffs most likely would.

Then you might get into metagaming though where people make the healers roll the touch attacks (which would probably hit) to preform the healing.

If someone has a recommendation on wording to trigger it only on friendly spells I'd be happy to change it.

Lapak
2007-05-04, 03:45 PM
I guess I could have it go off if they voluntarily allow a touch attack to succeed. So harmful spells would probably not set it off but healing and buffs most likely would.

Then you might get into metagaming though where people make the healers roll the touch attacks (which would probably hit) to preform the healing.

If someone has a recommendation on wording to trigger it only on friendly spells I'd be happy to change it.I'd either change it to go off on any melee contact, change it to be sensitive to positive energy, or change it to be sensitive to any magically-charged attack.

The first means that the next person to touch them directly, for good or ill, gets a jolt.

The second would prevent healing spells but not other protections or buffs.

The third would prevent the enemy from following up with harmful touch spells. That seems to be the compromise I'd go with.

"...causes the next creature that touches them to discharge a spell to suffer X damage..."

Machete
2007-05-04, 09:35 PM
Trapped for how long? I think this secondary effect needs a short time limit, as in rounds. If only to simplify things and keep it from being abused.

jindra34
2007-05-04, 09:36 PM
Trapped for how long? I think this secondary effect needs a short time limit, as in rounds. If only to simplify things and keep it from being abused.

its one round per 3 levels.

tgva8889
2007-05-06, 02:56 AM
You could have it trigger off of "harmless" spells. Ever notice how the beneficial touch spells all have "harmless" next to their will save? Well, that's because they are harmless spells, so you could rule that they all fall under the category of "harmless spells" and then have this spell's "electrically charged" line trigger off of all "harmless spells".

ZeroNumerous
2007-05-06, 04:42 AM
Imagine a cleric casting Protection from Electricity, then having your wizard friend cast this spell on you. Immediately afterwards, you hit the nearest BBEG with Inflict Critical Wounds.

Magnor Criol
2007-05-06, 06:16 AM
This spell makes me very happy.
The concept of "Medic! Heal me, heal me!" ~ZzZap~ "Ow! No! Don't heal me! Don't heal me!" And other such confusion it would sow is a pleasant thought.
It'd be interesting to have this cast by a caster enemy on a PC, and not have the DM tell the party what's going on. All they know is that even though they beat the caster, now even when they go to heal they're hitting each other with electricity damage.

Umarth
2007-05-06, 02:41 PM
You could have it trigger off of "harmless" spells. Ever notice how the beneficial touch spells all have "harmless" next to their will save? Well, that's because they are harmless spells, so you could rule that they all fall under the category of "harmless spells" and then have this spell's "electrically charged" line trigger off of all "harmless spells".

Harmless line is a good call out.

How about this:
Name Lingering Lighting
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: 120 ft
Area: 120ft line
Duration: 1 round / 3 levels or discharged
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You release a powerful stroke of electrical energy that deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 10d6) to each creature within its area. The bolt begins at your fingertips. Any creatures damaged by the lighting bolt become infused with a magical electric trap causing the next creature that casts a range touch spell, with the (harmless) discriptor, on the trapped creature to take 1d6 damage per two caster levels (5d6 max).

The lightning bolt sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in its path. It can melt metals with a low melting point, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, or bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the bolt may continue beyond the barrier if the spell’s range permits; otherwise, it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

Material Component
A bit of fur and an amber, crystal, or glass rod.

Hazkali
2007-05-06, 04:52 PM
Interesting. I like this idea...quite nasty!

However, I was thinking, couldn't something like this come under the Bestow Curse spell? Perhaps:

Each time a character is healed using a Conjuration (Healing) spell, the recipient of the curse takes damage as if hit by an equal level inflict spell, but without additional damage for caster level. The subjects do not recieve a Will save. If the spell was delivered by touch, the caster of the spell takes the same damage also.
For example, Bradek the fighter is cursed this way and Coldar the 5th level cleric casts Cure Light Wounds on Bradek. Bradek heals d8+5 hit points, only to lose d8 hit points as if hit by Inflict Light Wounds. As Cure Light Wounds is a touch spell, Coldar also takes the same damage as Bradek.

I think this would come under the description of Bestow Curse. It's not as debilitating as having -6 to one stat, by any stretch, but makes life hell for an adventurer!