PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Imperial Orcs and Half-Orcs

SovelsAtaask
2015-07-24, 03:38 PM
Lately I've been working on a homebrew setting (who isn't? :tongue: ) and I've decided to craft my own race of Imperial Orcs, because the orcs have an empire and I don't think a race with -2's in every mental state could manage something like that very well. I also wanted to make something attractive to players. And where there's orcs, there's half-orcs, so I gave those poor underpowered misfits a boost too. This is my first attempt at homebrewing in 3.5 so I'd appreciate any advice on both the fluff and crunch, besides improving my writing skills.

Imperial Orcs

Personality and Alignment: Imperial orcs are a stubborn, courageous people who value strength above all else and see those who shy away from combat as cravens and weaklings. They are proud and have a strong sense of honor; if you slight one you can expect a violent grudge to follow, but an imperial orc's word is generally as good as gold. Imperial orcs also have a strong sense of community, imperial orcs belonging to the same tribe see each other as family even if they have never met before and most will do what they can to help their tribe. Imperial orcs do not care much about the concepts of good and evil, but most are lawful. Overly chaotic imperial orcs are looked at with disdain for going against the god Daruu's teachings and blessings.

Physical Description: Imperial orcs look much like their wild cousins, only slightly smaller. They have dark hair, sharp eyes that can vary between yellow, red, black, and a few other colors, and grayish skin in a range shades and tints not unlike those of humans. They also possess rather prominent tusks, not unlike those of a boar. Imperial orcs wear loose, flowing robes in light colors to deal with the climate of their native jungles, but simple vests with loose pants made of cloth are also common. Many imperial orcs wear bandanas bearing insignias of their tribes to hold back their hair.

Religion: Imperial orcs mostly revere the god Daruu, who they claim taught Grivt the Great Uniter how to band together the scattered tribes, control their savagery, and form cities for his people. Daruu blesses his followers by giving them strength in combat, wisdom, and protection for their cities and tribes. They are aware that Gruumsh created orcs and most temples carry a small shrine to the savage god because of this, but few imperial orcs truly worship him.

Imperial Orc Racial Traits
Imperial orcs are humanoids with the orc subtype.
+2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Imperial orcs are built powerfully and possess strong instincts and senses, but other races see them as blunt and stupid like their wild cousins.
Medium size
Base land speed of 30 feet
Darkvision: Imperial orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and imperial orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
Weapon Proficiency: Imperial orcs receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the greataxe, trident, and scimitar as bonus feats.
Courageous: +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear
Military Expertise: When flanking, imperial orcs receive a +3 flanking bonus to attack rolls instead of a +2.
Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, an imperial orc is considered an orc.
Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, and Goblin
Favored Class: Fighter
Level Adjustment: +1

Imperial Half-Orc
Imperial half-orcs are humanoids with the orc and human subtypes
+2 Strength, -2 Charisma. Half-orcs are just as strong as their imperial orc parents, but lack their keen instincts.
Darkvision: Imperial half-orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and imperial half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
Bonus Skills: 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
Courageous: Imperial half-orcs receive a +2 morale bonus to saves against fear effects.
Mixed Blood: For all effects related to race, an imperial half-orc is considered an orc AND a human.
Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages)
Favored Class: Fighter

SovelsAtaask
2015-07-24, 03:39 PM
Post reserved for possible paragon classes and feats

anti-ninja
2015-07-24, 06:21 PM
Do you mind if I use these in my game?

SovelsAtaask
2015-07-24, 11:07 PM
You're free to do so, but please toss some credit my way. I'd also appreciate it if you let me know how you and your players like it in game :smallbiggrin:

anti-ninja
2015-07-25, 09:10 AM
will do thanks

Network
2015-07-25, 09:39 AM
If you did gave them a favored class, what would it be by the way? I agree it's a dumb mechanic but what if the game master uses an house rule that gives a bonus with the classes instead of penalizing multiclassing?

Also, straight orc is still strictly better than half-orc, imperial or not. I like to think of orcs as nocturnal creatures, so giving light sensitivity to normal orcs could do some thematical sense. Also, orcs having higher mental ability scores than half-orcs is a bit curious to say the least, since half-orcs are supposedly the great thinkers of orcish society.

SovelsAtaask
2015-07-25, 12:20 PM
If you did gave them a favored class, what would it be by the way? I agree it's a dumb mechanic but what if the game master uses an house rule that gives a bonus with the classes instead of penalizing multiclassing?

Also, straight orc is still strictly better than half-orc, imperial or not. I like to think of orcs as nocturnal creatures, so giving light sensitivity to normal orcs could do some thematical sense. Also, orcs having higher mental ability scores than half-orcs is a bit curious to say the least, since half-orcs are supposedly the great thinkers of orcish society.

I'd probably just give them both fighter because there's a lot of focus on military in their society, but it's much more structured than barbarian tribes.

And I'm aware that the straight orc is still better, but I'm not going to give them light sensitivity. They don't live in holes in my setting, and light sensitivity can be dealt with with a simple 10 gp item anyways so I don't see much point giving it to anything. Also, I see wisdom as representing instinct, senses, and common sense, along with empathy. Sure, half-orcs don't get the mental bonus, but they do get extra skill points. However, I don't feel like that's enough but I'm not sure what to add to the half-orcs.

EDIT: I'm considering letting Half-Orcs have a choice between Weapon Proficiency, Courageous, and Military Expertise. How's that sound?

SovelsAtaask
2015-09-13, 07:50 PM
A few small tweaks made. Changed what Military Expertise does, and gave the half-orcs the bonus against fear. Also made the full orcs +1 LA, although I'm not entirely sure if they should be.

Solaris
2015-09-13, 11:16 PM
Comparing the imperial orc to humans and dwarves, they're not remotely worth a level adjustment. Look at everything humans and dwarves get, and compare that to what the imperial orc gets.