PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Nicest DM in the world: Helping my player build.

Nibbens
2015-07-24, 03:39 PM
Hey playground, I'm running a PF game for a group of "new to D&D players." This particular player has been playing her character from levels 1 to 10, thus far and is a Halfling sorcerer of the Air Elemental Bloodline.

Plainly said, she loves doing damage and she wants to do more - I've helped her by pointing out some of the higher output spells and metamagic feats.

So far, she's taken quickened spell and empower spell, and soon she should be taking maximize spell (if she hasn't already). She's also going down the spell focus (evocation) line to pump up her DC's.

I, however, am not that fluent in the ways of OP building. Are there any dips she can take to pump up the damage output of her spells, or is there any Prestige classes that she could shift into easily to get more damage, or feats etc.

No 3rd party stuff and no sacred geometry please. Just no. lol.

PsyBomb
2015-07-24, 04:30 PM
Hey playground, I'm running a PF game for a group of "new to D&D players." This particular player has been playing her character from levels 1 to 10, thus far and is a Halfling sorcerer of the Air Elemental Bloodline.

Plainly said, she loves doing damage and she wants to do more - I've helped her by pointing out some of the higher output spells and metamagic feats.

So far, she's taken quickened spell and empower spell, and soon she should be taking maximize spell (if she hasn't already).

I, however, am not that fluent in the ways of OP building. Are there any dips she can take to pump up the damage output of her spells, or is there any Prestige classes that she could shift into easily to get more damage, or feats etc.

No 3rd party stuff and no sacred geometry please. Just no. lol.

Alright, Quicken and Empower are generally all you'd need. Maximize won't return as much bang as you're expecting, and Empowered spells are quite capable of striking harder for less adjustment. Grab Intensify if you rule that it works with that spell (doesn't quite do it by RAW, but some allow it).

I assume you mean Elemental (Air)? Good one for damage, that. Empowered Scorching Ray is going to be your bread and butter for damage, but you'll want to grab a couple of solid SR: No entries to deal with that kind of threat if it arises. Back yourself up with utility and defense.

Nibbens
2015-07-24, 05:54 PM
Alright, Quicken and Empower are generally all you'd need. Maximize won't return as much bang as you're expecting, and Empowered spells are quite capable of striking harder for less adjustment. Grab Intensify if you rule that it works with that spell (doesn't quite do it by RAW, but some allow it).

I assume you mean Elemental (Air)? Good one for damage, that. Empowered Scorching Ray is going to be your bread and butter for damage, but you'll want to grab a couple of solid SR: No entries to deal with that kind of threat if it arises. Back yourself up with utility and defense.

Why wouldn't intensify and empowered work together by raw? I'm looking at them and I'm not seeing it. lol.

Yeah, I mean Elemental (Air). Sorry about that.

Any suggestions for some "SR No" spells?

Sacrieur
2015-07-24, 06:20 PM
I'm also not seeing where Intensify and Empower don't stack.

The way I'm reading it works is:

Increase number of dice used. → Maximize the result. → Multiply result by 1.5.

IZ42
2015-07-24, 06:23 PM
Why wouldn't intensify and empowered work together by raw? I'm looking at them and I'm not seeing it. lol.

He meant that Intensify wouldn't work with Scorching Ray.

PsyBomb
2015-07-24, 06:26 PM

I meant Intensify with Scorching Ray. It works JUST fine with Empower, which is something quite a few Magus builds love.

For good damage spells that don't allow SR, Snowball can be nice when properly metamagicked. Unfortunately, it starts to fall off right where you are. PF is really light on SR: No options, though, I need to do some research to find other solid ones.

marphod
2015-07-25, 07:02 AM
There aren't a lot of good SR No Spells.

(Manually going through things with http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/tools/advanced-spell-search ; this list may not be comprehensive)

You have 0 to 3 spells per level that deal damage directly (as opposed to Magic Weapon) and have SR No in PF Core. Half of them are Area of Effect targets, too.

4th-6th
Acid Fog (6th)
Black Tentacles (4th)
Cloudkill (5th; Con damage)
Transmute Rock to Mud (5th; limited use)

At 3rd:
Ice Spears
Sleet Storm

At 2nd:
Acid Arrow
Flurry of Snowballs
Pyrotechnics (Smoke cloud, used on a fire creature. we're not talking a lot of damage here.)

At 1st:
Snowball

At 0th:
Acid Splash