PDA

View Full Version : Training Clerics

anti-ninja
2015-07-24, 06:00 PM
So last session my cleric of wee jas brought a couple orphans under his wing ,providing food and shelter under the condition that they studied to become clerics of wee jas.so her is my question how long would it take for them to gain their first level and is there anyway to speed up the process .

Bad Wolf
2015-07-24, 06:06 PM
As long as the DM decides it takes. There's not really rules for this, so its up to him/her.

anti-ninja
2015-07-24, 06:18 PM
that's actually quite surprising I figure 3.5 would have addressed this somewhere

Ellowryn
2015-07-24, 06:24 PM
that's actually quite surprising I figure 3.5 would have addressed this somewhere

Generally in 3.5 PC's are considered to be adults when they start their careers (i.e. level 1), so it is to be expected that such PC's would have trained from an appropriate age to be able to begin adventuring as adults. Of course which class they train in also determines the exact starting age (as defined in the PHB under random starting ages).

So basically they will need to train until they are adults between the ages of 17 and 27 (assuming human, they start between 15 + 2d6 years old).

Elandris Kajar
2015-07-24, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately not.

Mwahahahahaha!!!!!

LordOfCain
2015-07-24, 06:28 PM
Maybe 1d3 + 1 years or so???

Malimar
2015-07-24, 06:28 PM
Well, the PHB gives starting age for a level 1 cleric as 15+2d6 years. There's your starting point. I don't know if there's anything other than that in the books.

EDIT: Swordsaged. What Ellowryn said.

DMVerdandi
2015-07-24, 06:59 PM
While the rules that somewhat exist for generating random starting ages, I find them a bit inane and not really a good litmus to find out how long it takes to "get to level 1"
Theoretically, you could always simply choose a rogue for the first level, and since experience is equal, always come out ahead of every other Tier 1 class.

Here is what I would say. EVERYONE starts off as a commoner. There is no such thing as level 0. Even a baby is commoner 1. To gain a PC class, You use a the retraining rules, with the class of choice taking [1 year - 1 Month/Per Intelligence score bonus]. Having a Tutor/Master reduces the time by half.
Perhaps create training manuals as well for self tutelage.

Anyhow, In this case, using this home-brew, Saying the two boys have an Int bonus of +1. It would take you roughly half a year to instruct them to become clerics.

Red Fel
2015-07-24, 07:02 PM
As others have said, there is no RAW way to handle this. Frankly, taking children on adventures with you is just asking for trouble (by which I mean child endangerment), but that's on you.

That said, there is a Mentor feat somewhere, that basically allows you to take on an NPC as an apprentice; he levels as you do, and when he hits a certain level he becomes a Cohort. You might consider asking about whether that can apply in this case.

anti-ninja
2015-07-24, 07:32 PM
As others have said, there is no RAW way to handle this. Frankly, taking children on adventures with you is just asking for trouble (by which I mean child endangerment), but that's on you.

That said, there is a Mentor feat somewhere, that basically allows you to take on an NPC as an apprentice; he levels as you do, and when he hits a certain level he becomes a Cohort. You might consider asking about whether that can apply in this case. oh I am not taking them on adventures with me ,where level 7 there is no way i could fight and protect them at the same time through the encounters we face. so I hired some fellow clerics to tutor and watch over them while i am away ,I while also train them in my down time.
That said, there is a Mentor feat somewhere, that basically allows you to take on an NPC as an apprentice; he levels as you do, and when he hits a certain level he becomes a Cohort. You might consider asking about whether that can apply in this case.
well since my DM posted here ill just ask , Hey Elandris can I use mentor to level up the orphans.

Elandris Kajar
2015-07-24, 07:41 PM
It seems reasonable, but I believe mentor is DMG II. If you show me it, it will probably work. If anyone wants to know race/age of cleric-ets then ask. I definitely don't outright agree with starting ages. ( bad rolls could end the campaign before any of them get a single level.)

Still not sure as of now what I will do.

anti-ninja
2015-07-24, 08:47 PM
I believe the races are 1 elf and a a handful of humans

Sagetim
2015-07-24, 10:08 PM
Well, if you really want to speed up their level progression, mind seed them. Oh wait, that's evil.

I'm not aware of any rules listed in the books anywhere for the training of npcs into being useful people instead of lazy commoners, but if you're in the dragonlance universe there IS a quick and easy path to leveling clerics: The disks of mishkala. Have any scrub learn this and they gain a level...but that level has to be a level of cleric of (insert god of light here). And it has to be their first cleric level. And they get a +1 wisdom bonus (I think it's inherent).

Since your DM is here, we can ask directly: Are you willing to have a magic item like that exist in your world? They take something like a week to read through and you have to read through them, start to finish, within a month of starting to read them, or you have to start over again. And since I doubt you're running dragonlance you would probabl have to compile a list of deities that the disks could apply for. Bear in mind, your players might want to start ordaining a lot of children as clerics so they can get a head start on their adventuring careers, which could have a profound and positive impact on your campaign world.

anti-ninja
2015-07-25, 07:30 AM
Well, if you really want to speed up their level progression, mind seed them. Oh wait, that's evil.

I'm not aware of any rules listed in the books anywhere for the training of npcs into being useful people instead of lazy commoners, but if you're in the dragonlance universe there IS a quick and easy path to leveling clerics: The disks of mishkala. Have any scrub learn this and they gain a level...but that level has to be a level of cleric of (insert god of light here). And it has to be their first cleric level. And they get a +1 wisdom bonus (I think it's inherent).

Since your DM is here, we can ask directly: Are you willing to have a magic item like that exist in your world? They take something like a week to read through and you have to read through them, start to finish, within a month of starting to read them, or you have to start over again. And since I doubt you're running dragonlance you would probabl have to compile a list of deities that the disks could apply for. Bear in mind, your players might want to start ordaining a lot of children as clerics so they can get a head start on their adventuring careers, which could have a profound and positive impact on your campaign world. he is not here right now ,but we are not in dragonlance .

Elandris Kajar
2015-07-25, 09:36 AM
I will think about such an item, but it will not be easy to find if it exists.