PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to provoke as many AoO as possible in one turn

Jowgen
2015-07-24, 08:22 PM
Just to be clear, I don't want to MAKE as many attacks of opportunity per round as possible, I want to PROVOKE them.

Just how much stuff can I do in a single round using my move, standard, swift and free actions to get one or more creatures (with combat reflexes obviously) to make as many AoO on me? :smallbiggrin:

noob
2015-07-24, 08:28 PM
1: Increase your size category to the maximum
2: There is a magical spear giving a 6 meters reach(it explicitly give 20 feet reach) give tons of those to the smallest opponents possible(who are flying) and make them surround you and try to maximize their number per square and make them invade your space.
3: then there is the question you truly asked which is what actions give the most opportunity attacks in fact I believe that moving is the best way just maximize your speed and get tons of people on your way ready to make opportunity attacks.

Darrin
2015-07-24, 09:12 PM
How good is your tumble check? If you can consistently hit a DC 35:

1) Drop prone as a free action.
2) Tumble check DC 35 to stand up from prone as a free action, which provokes.
3) Rinse and repeat.

Jowgen
2015-07-24, 09:26 PM

3) Rinse and repeat.

That is hilarious. And brings this to mind. :smallbiggrin:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBrzWKamtBLIm4mNglAeJZc7zT732Oe ik7gk_0wFtGDna6PgXS

WhamBamSam
2015-07-24, 10:04 PM
Another means of provoking arbitrarily many...

Step 1: DCFS those you intend to provoke, so they have the Supernatural Instincts feat (FCII).
Step 2: Use some manner of at-will, free action activation (Su) ability (the Blink Dog's Blink and Cerebrex's Telepathic Immunity are two such, off the top of my head).

Hrugner
2015-07-24, 10:09 PM
what level, race and other things are available? across many targets, or from one target?

Khedrac
2015-07-25, 01:01 AM
More seriously:

Standard actions (Choose one)
1. Use a ranged attack
2. Attempt to cast a spell without defensive casting
3. Make an unarmed attack without proficiency
4. Cast a spell that then grants a ranged attack (two AoOs if you can make the first concentration check)

Movement (combine up to your total movement)
1. Leave a threatened square by non 5' step movement - if they don't have reach then move up to them then try moving around them. Only applies once, no matter how many squares.
2. Attempt to enter a square occupied by your opponent

Move actions (unless you can get these swift, movement is better)
1. Stand up from prone

That's off the top of my head, but there's an easy 4 from casting a ranged attack spell then moving round the opponent before trying to enter their square...

Taelas
2015-07-25, 01:38 AM
Each action can only provoke once per character. So you cannot get an infinite loop.

At most, I'd say about 3 per opponent.

Hrugner
2015-07-25, 01:40 AM
I suppose standing next to someone while doing a quickdraw throwing shield chaingun would be the easiest way to do it without rolling any dice. infinite attacks a round, provoking attacks of opportunity from the ranged attacks, it would work out to only slightly better then the fellow doing jumping jacks next to his opponent as it doesn't require rolling. I guess you could do them both at the same time, but racking up infinities seems a little bit weird.

WhamBamSam
2015-07-25, 12:46 PM
Each action can only provoke once per character. So you cannot get an infinite loop.

At most, I'd say about 3 per opponent.Here are the actual rules for that.
If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.Emphasis mine. So if you can provoke as a free action and continue to make the free action over and over (as is the case in both Darrin's suggestion and mine), the only limitation you face is the number of free actions you can make per turn. More to the point, movement out of multiple threatened squares is the only action that actually has rules keeping it from provoking multiple AoOs at once. Similarly, something like full attacking with an unarmed strike without IUS, disarm attempts without improved disarm, or what have you, would absolutely provoke once for each attack.

Even if that limitation were backed up by the rules, it's easy enough to get swift action movement and not too hard to get extra actions, so clearing three provokes per opponent is trivial enough.

Elandris Kajar
2015-07-25, 02:28 PM
I have a strange curiosity over why this is relevant. Please elaborate:smallbiggrin:

WhamBamSam
2015-07-25, 02:52 PM
I have a strange curiosity over why this is relevant. Please elaborate:smallbiggrin:My first guess would be that he's trying to feed 5ft steps to an ally that has Evasive Reflexes.

It's also possible that, since this is a DM Help thread, that one of his PCs has an AoO build and an itchy trigger finger and he wants to tank said PC's Combat Reflexes to get some mundanes through said PC's threatened area unimpeded. Or that he's trying to bait one or more of his PCs into taking inadvisable swings for some other reason. This seems less likely to me, as any means of overly obvious provoking will set off red flags.

Venger
2015-07-25, 03:57 PM

3) Rinse and repeat.

or just take a level of thief-acrobat and obviate the check.

My first guess would be that he's trying to feed 5ft steps to an ally that has Evasive Reflexes.

It's also possible that, since this is a DM Help thread, that one of his PCs has an AoO build and an itchy trigger finger and he wants to tank said PC's Combat Reflexes to get some mundanes through said PC's threatened area unimpeded. Or that he's trying to bait one or more of his PCs into taking inadvisable swings for some other reason. This seems less likely to me, as any means of overly obvious provoking will set off red flags.

he might be looking to do some kind of karmic strike build or similar.

emeraldstreak
2015-07-25, 08:24 PM
he might be looking to do some kind of karmic strike build or similar.

Enemies arent required to take provoked attacks.

marphod
2015-07-25, 11:29 PM
Using Pounce, make a hasted, full-attack Charge using unarmed strikes (without IUS) against someone with Rolibar's Gambit, Karmic Strike, Double Hit, The ability that gives allies an AoO if you miss an attack, and wielding a Reach Weapon with a spiked gauntlet or Armor Spikes. Make sure to charge through several squares containing Tiny or Diminutive opponents and that are threatened by as many creatures with Reach as possible.