PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Houserule [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2015-07-24, 08:57 PM
I'm introducing a new rule into my campaign tonight, and I was wondering if it's balanced. The point of this rule is to allow the players to do cool things, that they would not normally be able to do.

I got the idea while watching Titan's Grave, Will Wheaton's current campaign on Geek & Sundry.

Stunts:
When Initiative is rolled every player will roll a special set of d6. This set of d6 will consist of 2d6 of the same color, and a differently colored third d6, called the Stunt Die. If on a roll of the dice, the number is 10 or higher and you have doubles, you gain an amount of "stunt points" equal to the number on the Stunt Die. You have these stunt points until the end of the encounter, and you can spend them all at once, one at a time, or an amount equal to the amount of points necessary to pull off your desired stunt. In combat, you may use your action to roll these dice again.

Stunt Points:
1: You gain Advantage
2: You deal an extra amount of damage equal to your damage modifier
3: You automatically score a Critical Hit, on the first attack of your turn.
4: You double the targets of your attack, or the radius of your spell.
5: You can take your desired action twice.
6: If you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll, you can deal an amount of damage equal to your hit point maximum.

PotatoGolem
2015-07-25, 09:50 AM
So, just to clarify, you roll 2d6 and if you roll double 5's or double 6's, then you roll the stunt die?

ZenBear
2015-07-25, 11:08 AM
So, just to clarify, you roll 2d6 and if you roll double 5's or double 6's, then you roll the stunt die?

You roll all three at once and if you get doubles you gain stunt points equal to the number on the stunt die. The "10 or more" part is new, but I'm guessing it's total of all 3 dice.

DracoKnight
2015-07-25, 12:10 PM
You roll all three at once and if you get doubles you gain stunt points equal to the number on the stunt die. The "10 or more" part is new, but I'm guessing it's total of all 3 dice.

You roll all 3 dice. If the total of the three dice is 10 or greater, and you have doubles on any two of the three dice, you gain a number of Stunt Points equal to the number on your Stunt die. The 10 part is in there, because as I was testing it, I kept getting things like two 1s and a 6, with the 6 being on the Stunt die. Since players are rolling these every combat, I didn't want it to be too easy, however I didn't want it to be ridiculously hard either.

The_Doctor
2015-07-25, 12:35 PM
What if you get TRIPLES?:smallconfused:

Inchoroi
2015-07-25, 12:57 PM
Seems needlessly complicated to me...

For stunting, I just make my players aware that its cool to do awesome stuff, and I award both advantage and inspiration for doing so. They just ran with it.

DracoKnight
2015-07-25, 01:02 PM
What if you get TRIPLES?:smallconfused:

There is currently no rule for triples, however, I might add one. In Titan's Grave, Will Wheaton has a rule about triples, but it only comes up on a triple 6, and it allows the player to make an action/attack so badass that it goes down in the legends of history.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-27, 07:06 AM
Didn't ebberon have something similar. . . Action points I want to say. I do like yours though.