PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How far can Intimidation/bluff go?

Extramask
2015-07-24, 10:06 PM
I am currently playing a 9/warlock with +25 to Intimidate and bluff, and I was wondering what shenanigans can I do with it? :smallbiggrin:

ShaneMRoth
2015-07-24, 10:35 PM
I am currently playing a 9/warlock with +25 to Intimidate and bluff, and I was wondering what shenanigans can I do with it? :smallbiggrin:

It should be enough to get your warlock to the final table at the World Series of Poker.

IronicGentleman
2015-07-24, 10:46 PM

Do you really want to know? :smallannoyed:

Intimidate basically functions as Diplomancy, but is somewhat less effective. Usually makes for cooler roleplay in my opinion, though.

In other words, depending on your check, you can instantly end encounters or terrify them into giving you fantastic deals (instead of the Haggling use of Diplomancy) if you make a low-DC Diplo check as a follow-up to make them helpful.

You can change another’s behavior with a successful check. Your Intimidate check is opposed by the target’s modified level check (1d20 + character level or Hit Dice + target’s Wisdom bonus [if any] + target’s modifiers on saves against fear). If you beat your target’s check result, you may treat the target as friendly, but only for the purpose of actions taken while it remains intimidated. (That is, the target retains its normal attitude, but will chat, advise, offer limited help, or advocate on your behalf while intimidated. See the Diplomacy skill, above, for additional details.) The effect lasts as long as the target remains in your presence, and for 1d6×10 minutes afterward. After this time, the target’s default attitude toward you shifts to unfriendly (or, if normally unfriendly, to hostile).

You can also use it to demoralise.

You can also use Intimidate to weaken an opponent’s resolve in combat. To do so, make an Intimidate check opposed by the target’s modified level check (see above). If you win, the target becomes shaken for 1 round. A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. You can intimidate only an opponent that you threaten in melee combat and that can see you.

Bluff is weaker than Diplomacy and Intimidate simply because it is an opposed skill check. It is still absolutely broken, however, and - with a very high check - can be used, for example, to convince an army of Kobolds that you, the elvish Wizard, are their long-lost leader. (Hint: Potions of Glibness are quite cheap ...) This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen it used for. The guy succeeded, too. :smallbiggrin: (Glibness helped.)

Also, Bluff is the most versatile of the social skills, what with its ability to feint in combat, lie, create diversions and send secret messages. Plus other uses in splatbooks I don't feel like digging through.

Firstly, the most basic use. The lie.

A Bluff check is opposed by the target’s Sense Motive check. See the accompanying table for examples of different kinds of bluffs and the modifier to the target’s Sense Motive check for each one.

The modifiers go from -5 all the way up to +20, depending on how believable the lie is.

Secondly, the feint. This just denies them Dex to AC and allows them BAB to the check along with everything else. Useful, but not that great.

Thirdly, the diversion. See normal Bluff, but this gives you a chance to hide without being spotted.

Finally, secret messages. This is a set DC depending on the message, but it is still opposed by the witness' Sense Motive, as per normal Bluff.

If I recall correctly, there are other significant uses, but I don't feel like digging through splatbooks for half an hour.

In other words, you can do just about anything you want. Make sure you have Glibness before trying the aforementioned trick, though. :smallbiggrin:

BUYER BEWARE: You will get books thrown at you for use of any of the above skills in an interesting way. :smallbiggrin:

Edit:

It should be enough to get your warlock to the final table at the World Series of Poker.
Nah, more like bet the whole world at the aforesaid final table, and win the game. :smallbiggrin:

Extramask
2015-07-24, 11:30 PM
BUYER BEWARE: You will get books thrown at you for use of any of the above skills in an interesting way. :smallbiggrin:

Time to buy a helmet then :smallbiggrin:

Extramask
2015-07-24, 11:31 PM

Hmmm... Time to put some points into profession

IronicGentleman
2015-07-25, 08:15 AM

Time to buy a helmet then :smallbiggrin:

Make it a Helm of Glibness. :smallbiggrin: