PDA

View Full Version : Wow, i just realised, Belkar must REALLY hate miko because...

theinsulabot
2007-05-03, 09:13 AM
i just thought about it, i dunno if this has been brought up before but belkar was clearly expecting a raise dead spell when he attempted to sucker miko into falling, but (and while i fully admit to not being very knowledgeable about the DnD inner workings) doesn't that cause you to lose a level if you do? so belkar was actually ready and willing, hell, to go out of his way to drop a level just to get his revenge against Miko. that goes a little deeper then just the standard hatred he has toward everyone that isn't him

Silverlocke980
2007-05-03, 09:16 AM
Yes, it causes an XP drop.

And a very interesting theory! He does hate Miko specifically- the fact that she is always trying to Smite Evil towards him probably has an effect. :)

Ariko
2007-05-03, 09:27 AM
You mean detect evil? I dont recall her ever actually attempting smite evil on him. Feel free to correct me with a link if I'm mistaken though, cause I'm curious now.

kpenguin
2007-05-03, 09:29 AM
Nope, it was always just detect evil. One smite evil and Belkar would have been chowing down in the Abyss (or whatever Chaotic Evil afterlife there is in OOTSverse).

jindra34
2007-05-03, 09:30 AM
Nope, it was always just detect evil. One smite evil and Belkar would have been chowing down in the Abyss (or whatever Chaotic Evil afterlife there is in OOTSverse).

She did almost smite him once but never suceeded...

Kesnit
2007-05-03, 09:41 AM

Smite Evil only adds the Paladin's CHA bonus, +1 HP/level to the damage. Belkar is a 13th level character, with 12d8 + 1d12 HP, not counting his CON bonus.

Even though she's a Pally, Miko seems to have used CHA as a dump stat. So, at best, maybe she has a +2 bonus. (My vote is that her CHA bonus is negative, but that's just me! :smallbiggrin: ) Assuming Miko is LVL 15 (since people think she is higher level than OotS), that would mean her Smites do +17 damage.

Unless Miko Smited Belkar when he was already badly wounded, it wouldn't come close to killing him.

Rai Thunder
2007-05-03, 09:42 AM
I remember her trying to cut him down, but Hinjo blocked it.

Wait a second. Remember when Miko defeated the entire OOTS party in order to transport them to Azure City? Why didn't she use Detect Evil on Belkar then?

Lizard Lord
2007-05-03, 09:49 AM
I remember her trying to cut him down, but Hinjo blocked it.

Wait a second. Remember when Miko defeated the entire OOTS party in order to transport them to Azure City? Why didn't she use Detect Evil on Belkar then?

The law said she couldn't. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0228.html

Also, Belkar isn't exactly known for his foresight. I wouldn't put it past him to forget that he would have lost a level.

Tokiko Mima
2007-05-03, 12:04 PM
i just thought about it, i dunno if this has been brought up before but belkar was clearly expecting a raise dead spell when he attempted to sucker miko into falling, but (and while i fully admit to not being very knowledgeable about the DnD inner workings) doesn't that cause you to lose a level if you do? so belkar was actually ready and willing, hell, to go out of his way to drop a level just to get his revenge against Miko. that goes a little deeper then just the standard hatred he has toward everyone that isn't him

I don't buy it. Belkar likes having Miko around to fight him. It's a bit of sadism mixed with a little validation of his evil. After all, if his archfoe is the greatest Paladin in Azure City then that elevates Belkar just from having her as an enemy.

Remember, if Belkar ever wanted to kill Miko he's had an opportunity:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0281.html

In a strange way, I think thatstrip makes it clear that Belkar considers Miko a friend. Sure he torments her, just like he does V, but that's part and parcel of being Belkar's buddy.

Fawkes
2007-05-03, 02:00 PM
I always thought he was just too stupid too realize the consequences, considering he didn't take it into account that Durkon didn't have a diamond. [^] (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0286.html)

Poppatomus
2007-05-03, 02:04 PM

In a strange way, I think thatstrip makes it clear that Belkar considers Miko a friend. Sure he torments her, just like he does V, but that's part and parcel of being Belkar's buddy.

That's what I thought about that strip as well, until I realized its placement. The problem with that interpretation is that his plan at that point is not to kill Miko, but to cause her to illegally kill him in a fit of rage and thus become a fallen paladin. I believe the strip where he explains that plan is either the next one or the one directly after that. If she's dead she's just dead, he doesn't get the satisfaction of causing her to fall.

He's got running competitions and squabbles with just about everyone in tOOTS, but he's never gone after them like that. Miko's in a catagory of her own.

tanonev
2007-05-03, 02:14 PM
Even though she's a Pally, Miko seems to have used CHA as a dump stat. So, at best, maybe she has a +2 bonus. (My vote is that her CHA bonus is negative, but that's just me! :smallbiggrin: ) Assuming Miko is LVL 15 (since people think she is higher level than OotS), that would mean her Smites do +17 damage.

I'd say Miko's CHA is pretty high. It just so happens that all of it is physical. :smallwink:

Xiander
2007-05-03, 02:34 PM
Miko has tried to smite Belkar, probably more than once, but only once onscreen, she did not succeed, but here is the link:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0270.html

theinsulabot
2007-05-03, 02:54 PM
I don't buy it. Belkar likes having Miko around to fight him. It's a bit of sadism mixed with a little validation of his evil. After all, if his archfoe is the greatest Paladin in Azure City then that elevates Belkar just from having her as an enemy.

thats the point, he WASNT trying to kill her, he wanted to cause her to fall by striking down an unarmed opponent in anger, then he could have been rezzed and reveled in her anguish at betraying her core principles, but if he had been rezzed, he would of lost a level of xp in payment, though other people have noted that he simply may not of thought far enough ahead to consider the level cost, which is entirely possible

Thorin
2007-05-03, 03:07 PM
xp can be easily gained; most of fallen paladins, stays that way

Belkar, my friends, is an evil genius (ironicly his intelligence shouldn´t be above 10 i think)

king korath
2007-05-03, 03:08 PM
Belkar doesn't want to kill Some people, He just torments them psycologically. I mean if Miko fell because of him Belkar would get the raise and then taut Miko more. I mean if she losed he paladin power and all he lost was a level. To be able to torment miko forever is worth a level to Belkar.

PirateMonk
2007-05-03, 03:15 PM

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I was wondering how much Belkar really likes Elan.

Tussy the Druid
2007-05-03, 03:17 PM
I seriously doubt belkar actually remebered he would lose xp if he can't remember you need diamonds for a rez spell.

Tokiko Mima
2007-05-03, 06:14 PM
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I was wondering how much Belkar really likes Elan.

He doesn't have to treat his friends the same way. Belkar's an attention and thrill seeker, and that's what he gets by annoying V, Miko and sometimes Roy. His plan to make Miko lose her Paladinhood had no consequences for him (he thought: no chance Durkon might not have the diamond needed, no thought for losing XP) so he was going to do it just to provoke her to take the next step in absolute fury.

Firestar27
2007-05-03, 06:24 PM
Smite Evil only adds the Paladin's CHA bonus, +1 HP/level to the damage. Belkar is a 13th level character, with 12d8 + 1d12 HP, not counting his CON bonus.

Even though she's a Pally, Miko seems to have used CHA as a dump stat. So, at best, maybe she has a +2 bonus. (My vote is that her CHA bonus is negative, but that's just me! ) Assuming Miko is LVL 15 (since people think she is higher level than OotS), that would mean her Smites do +17 damage.
Your a little wrong there. You get your charisma bonus as a bonus to damage. You get your Paladin level as a bonus to your attack roll. There is a difference. Still, easy mistake to make. The Inevitables who correct mistakes have stopped pursuing you.

EvilElitest
2007-05-03, 06:32 PM
xp can be easily gained; most of fallen paladins, stays that way

Belkar, my friends, is an evil genius (ironicly his intelligence shouldn´t be above 10 i think)

low wisdom, but he has pretty high int
from,
EE

Helios Sunshard
2007-05-03, 06:50 PM
Miko smited belkar...thrice... when the Oots fought against her (after the inn's explosion). The giant posted how he imagined the fight here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=291639&postcount=489) , Miko has the wisdom to track people, i dont think she would just say "Clearly, due to the fact that i havent been able to detect evil on the blood thirsty halfing which carries a lead sheet and hires lawyers to avoid being detected, i must assume he is not evil".

But she killed Shojo... maybe :mitd: can drain wisdom thought melee atacks?

jindra34
2007-05-03, 06:53 PM
Miko smited belkar...thrice... when the Oots fought against her (after the inn's explosion). The giant posted how he imagined the fight here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=291639&postcount=489) , Miko has the wisdom to track people, i dont think she would just say "Clearly, due to the fact that i havent been able to detect evil on the blood thirsty halfing which carries a lead sheet and hires lawyers to avoid being detected, i must assume he is not evil".

But she killed Shojo... maybe :mitd: can drain wisdom thought melee atacks?

No its that she got banged up really bad in her solo with belkar...

Demented
2007-05-03, 07:16 PM
She clearly took wisdom drain after being told by Roy that "I wouldn't touch your skinny uptight ass with a standard-issue 10 ft. pole, you overbearing self-righteous bitch."

Seriously.

mikeejimbo
2007-05-03, 07:19 PM
Hate, secretly madly love, who's to say?

piestandsalone
2007-05-03, 07:36 PM

You can tell he is his favorite OOTS member because of evidence in the druids forest:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html

Also includes "Roy has boobies"