PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [Pathfinder] Magus idea: Is it viable?

AmbientRaven
2015-07-24, 11:29 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm a new player to Pathfinder; and currently playing a game as an Alchemist.
The DM asked us to have a back up character ready in case of player death (no resurrecting in the game setting). The game needs front liners. The party is Synthist Summoner, Skill Rogue (no combat options taken), a Knowledge Alchemist (no combat stuff), a Druid (no shapeshifting, she went the ranger style druid) and a Archer inquisitor. So I have been looking at classes that can damage and take a hit (like my beastmorph Alchemist) and decided on a magus. So I was looking at archetypes and builds and was wondering how viable this build idea is.

The plan is basically
Winter Witch (1) taking the Frozen Caress Hex. Then going Hexcrafter Magus for the rest of the levels.
Take the Rime feat.

If I understand correctly, this lets me Shocking grasp as a cold attack doing an additional 1D4 damage then triggering Rime and entangling the target?

This allows me more flexibility in touch attacks as they would all deal cold damage.

Thanks for your input

Geddy2112
2015-07-24, 11:35 PM
Yes, this will work. Keep in mind that any arcane spells you get from that dip in witch are subject to spell failure when in armor, so keep them to out of combat utility spells.

AmbientRaven
2015-07-25, 12:38 AM
Yes, this will work. Keep in mind that any arcane spells you get from that dip in witch are subject to spell failure when in armor, so keep them to out of combat utility spells.

Ah didn't realise that, to used to 5th. Will be sure to keep to out of combat utility spells

Is going thatw ay worthwhile?

The other thing I have considered is a White-Haired Witch Half-orc. Natural Bite, Natural hair whip, Nails

So i can Attack with sword, 1x Bite, 1x Nails, 1x Hair

Trying to build a semi optimised (not number crunched perfect) character as we need the damage if my alchemist dies he is our main damage at the moment)

Psyren
2015-07-25, 03:08 AM
Your "Knowledge Alchemist" should probably be an Investigator instead.
Check to make sure your rogue is using Unchained.

As far as your Witch... White Haired Witch is not very good, yes you get Int to CMB and damage but you don't get it to attack, and that plus your 1/2 BAB, d6 hd and weak fort doesn't really cut it for a front-liner. I would suggest transmuter wizard or druid instead, focusing on shapeshifting yourself and in particular growing in size to be a truly terror-inspiring tank.

AmbientRaven
2015-07-25, 03:12 AM
Your "Knowledge Alchemist" should probably be an Investigator instead.
Check to make sure your rogue is using Unchained.

As far as your Witch... White Haired Witch is not very good, yes you get Int to CMB and damage but you don't get it to attack, and that plus your 1/2 BAB, d6 hd and weak fort doesn't really cut it for a front-liner. I would suggest transmuter wizard or druid instead, focusing on shapeshifting yourself and in particular growing in size to be a truly terror-inspiring tank.

Sorry, should have clarieifed.

a dip into white haired witch for added natural attacks on a magus frame

Kurald Galain
2015-07-25, 12:56 PM
Winter Witch (1) taking the Frozen Caress Hex. Then going Hexcrafter Magus for the rest of the levels.
Take the Rime feat.

Hm, that's an interesting trick. I'll add that to my Magus handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus) :smallcool: