PDA

View Full Version : (IC) Mutant -Year Zero: Whispers of Eden

Hemnon
2015-07-25, 05:30 AM
It's been yet another day at the Ark. Of the 400 original People brought along to the Ark, only a little over 200 remain alive to this day.
It's been harsh to live in such an unforgiving world. The Dawnworld as it's refered to by many.

The Elder was the one who brought you all here, but none of you remember much else than a long trek through the Rot-infested deadlands of the Zone, and then finding the Ark. Most of your memories is growing up in the Ark itself, listening to the stories of old, told by the elder.
Stories about great mechanical birds that could transport mankind all over the world. Stories about great wars fought, legends of old, religion, etc.
But it all sounded all too fantastic to even half of it to be true. why would anyone that had such an ideal world to live in, end up destroying it all? it was absurd to most.

But that's not what's important anymore, it's all history. it's almost 15 years since that fateful day when the elder brought you all here to The Ark. It was time for the Day's assembly, but before anyone manages to stand up and make their ideas and thoughts announced out loud, the Representative of the Elder stands up (A fairly goodlooking lady by the name of Tanina, a Chronicler of course). "Before we begin the day's Assemply, i have some bad news, our food-supplies are running dangerously low. by our estimates, we don't have enough to feed the whole ark for more than 1 day. maybe 2 at most. It's not the fault of anyone in the Ark, we just don't have any more grub in the foodstores. We need to do something about this situation now. Riots have already broken out several places, rumors of required Cannibalism run rampant and NO ONE's private stores of food are safe right now." She said and then sat down.
It wasn't until she'd seated herself that the outroar broke out, accusations flying left and right, while ideas gets voted down one after the other. The Assemply is in chaos and it'll be a challenge to get everything under control and in a more ordered manner.

Space Lawyer
2015-07-25, 10:07 AM
Miri stands up, puts two fingers at the corners of her mouth, and gives a shrill, piercing whistle. "Listen up! Like Tanina said, we need food. We can't just sit around here anymore, getting grub out of the stores and catching what comes by. We need organized hunting parties to go out there and get something to eat. It won't be easy, but it'll keep us alive. Anyone who can shoot, or at least take a hit really well, get up and start organizing yourselves into groups of four or five. We'll send you out at staggered times and into different sectors so you have the best chance of catching something."

gremlin-pult
2015-07-25, 10:40 AM
Standing in back of the room near the door, Endel lets out a low derisive snort at the commotion. As Miri tries to get them organised, he simply stays where he is, not at all interested in being part of any group.
"Tch, as if this'll change anything..." He thinks as he watches all the people with no experience in the zone milling about.

Goin' out in groups'll just make these amateurs that much more of an obvious snack fer the things out there. I'll just keep up my usual routine. I might not carry as much when I'm alone, but at least I won't be a walking dinner like these bozos...
Endel thinks, as he turns to leave the room.
No reason to get involved in their mess. They know where to find me and what I find, anyway...

Ninjaman
2015-07-25, 02:49 PM
Trek leaps out of his seat and walks swiftly up to Endel, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Endel." He sighs as he searches for the words to use. "S***'s a mess, but just f***ing off won't help it one bit." He says quietly. Perhaps that wasn't the right tone to use. He thinks right after the words have left his mouth. "You're the best scavenger we have, if you aren't even going to give it a shot then all is truly hopeless."

gremlin-pult
2015-07-25, 03:54 PM
Glancing at Trek's hand on his shoulder, Endel simply stares quietly at him for a moment before answering.
"'Course I'm gonna try and find stuff for this place. I always pull my own weight. I just don't have high hopes for groups of people going out there, especially since most of them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Most of you know nothing about surviving out there, and most people aint good at listening to us who do..." He mutters testily.

He glares at Trek a bit longer without moving, before noticing the look in his eyes. Its the sorta determined look the big lug got when he would do just about anything to make things the way he thought was right. The sorta look he'd had when he busted open the door to Endel's den and carried him outside on his shoulder, because he had decided that Endel wasn't going to stay home during an assembly.
Letting out a sigh, Endel brushes Treks hand from his shoulder. "But, I suppose it could work out if the group was put together of people smart enough to listen to me when outside. If you can ensure that, I guess I could hunt with you guys instead of alone. Can you do that, Gigantor?" He asks, a ghost of a smile passing his lips as he uses his favorite nickname for the larger mutant.

Elbeyon
2015-07-25, 04:50 PM
It was obvious to anyone that thought about their grub that food was running low. Once they started rationing it was clear as day. She joined her family in the murmured whispers before Miri gathered her and some others attention. She listened carefully, nodding along in agreement.

She stands after Miri is finished, locks eyes with her, and hopes that'd Miri would be with her on this. In a monument, she adds, "Those that will not, or can not hunt still have work to do. Anyone that can walk can help. Hunters will need tools, worked areas, and structures to be able to carry out their work.

The same can be said for the pins we'll be filling with caught animals. Some beasts are less dangerous than others. The crazy zoners that lived and stole a beast's baby away from their mother could tell you that. If we could find some beasts that aren't too dangerous, not shoot them all, and bring them back here we might be able to raise them for grub."

She waits for Miri to say something. If there's no significant protest, she'll start gathering/organizing the people to help her. Asking for people that know the zone or have seen such beasts in particular, but settling for anyone with a strong back.

Hemnon
2015-07-25, 06:02 PM
Tanina sighed and raised to her feet once more. "I clearly wasn't detailed enough on this. We need food NOW. actual food. not grub that takes days to prepare. We need it pronto, aka. now. Either we do the unthinkable and sacrifice some of the People as food for everyone else, order every spare grub storages, private or otherwise, emptied and equally given out to all, or we sent an expedition out. There are old legends and rumors of places still holding all kinds of food, and the cooks of The Ark can cook out the rot of almost anything edible. I'd personally not go into cannibalism, the thought makes me sick.... but what do the rest of you say?"

There's a clear outroar once more, many say that if worst comes to pass, Cannibalism might be the only way out, but a majority agrees that an expedition is clearly needed, while many also thinks that an even-steven sharing of grub to satiate everyone for now might also work, except that those that have collected and been smart in their rationing might not like the idea of loosing their stores of emergency-grub... but it does seem that it lies in YOUR hands on what to do, which to do and why to do them. no one says only one is the right thing to do, after all.

Space Lawyer
2015-07-25, 08:03 PM
It seemed like people were getting moving at least. Tanina's reference to cannibalism - it gave Miri the shivers. It was almost like the other chronicler wanted to keep that thought on everyone's minds, get them thinking of each other as potential food. Miri wasn't about to let that happen. The moment they turned on each other like that was the moment the People would end.

She turns to her friend Eco. "I'm going to get started finding some decent rocks for slings. I've got enough of an eye to do that at least. If you get started on those pens, I think we can make quick work of this. With so many people out in the hunting parties, it shouldn't be too long before they start bringing things back."

lilpuppy91
2015-07-26, 03:32 AM
Lucky stood in the very back or of the room, leaning against a wall with her arms crossed in front of her. Bunny didn't like to be surrounded by people very much, and neither did she, so during these meetings, she let the others fill up the front most spots and took the least crowded area in the back. Usually she didn't say much during these meetings, because as much as she hated to admit it, she had a terrible case of stage fright.

She absolutely hated speaking in front of more than a small group of people. However, around the time that folks nearer the back began eyeballing Bunny and muttering about unnecessary mouths to feed, and how dog meat might taste, Lucky pushed herself off of the wall and began pushing her way through the crowd, Bunny slinking close at her heels, looking increasingly unhappy as they moved closer to the front.

She spoke up loud, she had to, not just to be heard over the murmuring, but also because her voice was muffled by her mask. She also enunciated clearly, so that she didn't have to repeat herself. Having to repeat herself would mean standing in front of people for longer. "There's something you all might be forgetting. While cannibalism might be adding to our food supply, while also decreasing the amount of mouths to feed, it's also trading one resource for another. Right now, we have an abundance of man power, but not enough food. But if we trade man power in exchange for food, we're making an uneven trade. Food will only feed us for one day, but someone alive could feed us for years if they hunt or gather.

Therefore, the only options we should be hearing are the other two. I know it's hard to give up your hard earned food stores, but is it's just food. Our friends mean more than that. But first, why don't we give a hunting party a chance? Me and Bunny would be glad to lend a hand with hunting up some grub. If we can't bring it back in time, then we can start sharing food, but we have some of the world's best hunters in our group, I just know we'll succeed if we just work together." Having said her piece, she now felt like everyone was staring at her.

Thankfully, 98% of her skin was covered, or the crowd may have witnessed a fierce blush overtaking her. "Yeah... I'll just go get ready to hunt..." she mumbled, the muffling effect making it near inaudible before she began frantically making a beeline for her den, Bunny close behind.

Elbeyon
2015-07-26, 06:49 PM
Eco nods to Miri then turns her attention back to Lucky, the room, and to Tanina. "You were clear, Tanina. I just didn't agree with you.

The short game is part of the long game. Hunting and pins need to be in the works now. To make it there, we should pool our resources. I know the idea of giving away rations may be upsetting to a lot of People, but we're a family. I'd share my grub with my family if they're were starving in front of me. I don't think asking the same of others is too much. We should try to look at this as a chance to bring everyone closer together. Those more fortunate sharing with those that have been slightly less lucky. Recognize, the people that shared. We can hold out that way, balance it out as much food gathering around the ark as we can, while we set up permanent stations to feed us."

Ninjaman
2015-07-26, 11:51 PM
"Looks like it Scowls." Trek replies right back at him and nods towards the doghandler. "That makes us three competent people right there." He says with a smile on his face. "Should we stop him before he get's away?"

gremlin-pult
2015-07-27, 05:34 AM
"Sure, you can go stop her." Endel answers casually, with a dismissive wave of his hand. "She'd be useful enough out there. Able to contribute. But only if she actually wants to go." He says, a hint of a warning in his voice. "We don't bring anyone who isn't clear on how its gonna work, and who might not be doing it completely willingly. If our group ain't committed, we'll die. And I ain't dying for this crap." Endel finishes, matter-of-factly.

Ninjaman
2015-07-27, 08:32 AM
Trek runs towards Lucky as Endel finishes his last sentence. He lays a hand on her coat-clad shoulder. "Excuse me." He says and lifts his hand from her shoulder. "I heard you wanted to help look for grub, and me and my friend.." He says and nods towards Endel. "..were planning on going out to look for food. Are you in on it?" He asks pretty forwardly.

lilpuppy91
2015-07-27, 07:24 PM
Lucky turned around in surprise as the big man put his hand on her shoulder. Even though he took it off pretty quickly, Bunny still turned around and began growling low in his throat, moving towards Trek. He was already on edge by being surrounded by so many people, and it was easy to categorize the big man as a threat. While Lucky was temporarily surprised, she quickly recollected her wits, and quickly issued a muffled "Bunny, sit." to the dog. Bunny sat immediately and stopped growling, but he never took his malevolent eyes off of Trek. Lucky looked past Trek to Endel, and then back to him again, and nodded her head slowly.

"Sure yeah, cool. I'm glad you invited me, I don't think I could have found a good group in time, but I've seen you guys around, you look like you know what you're doing. My name's Lucky, in case you didn't catch it before, and this is my best friend Bunny." she said, reaching down and rubbing behind the dog's ears. While Bunny still didn't take his eyes off of Trek, he laid his head against her leg happily. "Maybe if one of you guys announces our trio, more people will join us. I think the three of us would make a pretty solid team, but more guys means more eyes looking for the prize." she said, her mask concealing her facial expression enough that it was anybody's guess whether she was intentionally rhyming or not.

"Whether we get any guys or not, I'm sure we can get going in an hour or two, it doesn't take me long to pack. Maybe we can even come back before they've started eating each other." that last part, though it sounded like it would be a joke, was spoken in a hopeful and honest tone. She really had no faith that people would wait for them to come back if they were hungry enough.

Ninjaman
2015-07-28, 12:18 AM
"Great to meet you Lucky." Trek replies and listening to her voice makes him realize she is probably a girl. "That was the plan" Trek says with a cheeky smile on his face. He walks into the middle of the assembly, interrupting whoever is speaking. "I'm glad you guys are figuring out all this s*** by talking, but I am looking for two more guys or girls to go on an expedition to find food. Any takers?"

Hemnon
2015-07-28, 04:37 AM
A low mumble runs through the crowd of Assemply-Members, many agree that continued talking would just be a loss of time, while others sneer and think it wrong to hasten out without a fully-drawn plan.

However, after a short whispering talk, the right-hand man of Johammed, Jonats, rise and says: "Sure, I'll come along. But i claim the rights of any Artifacts that i personally discover, and 1/3rd of the food we bring back goes to the Great Johammed." He said, his intimidating presence and words clearly told that you really shouldn't start arguing with him.

Two more called out that they would go as well. One of them is Tanina The Chronicler herself, while the other might be one of the Enforcers of Boss Marlotte, however no one is all that sure, since the Person's name doesn't really ring a bell to anyone.

It's clear that any expedition send out will contain at least 1 of the bosses' Henchmen, in order to claim a good portion of the prize itself.

The possbile Henchman of Boss Marlotte does turn to challenge Jonats. "Oh is that so? well, i disagree. that is WAY too much food to give to you lot. As for the Artifacts, wouldn't they belong to the Chronicler who is coming with us? I'll not have YOU come along if you want to stake such claims already, but feel free to go out on your own or have Johammed sent other goons with you. that way you can all claim whatever you wish, but i do have to say this: Don't even try ****ing with me or this expedition." He said and it was clear that Jonats went rather white in the skintone and just coughed a little before sitting back down to talk with Johammed.
The unnamed guy also sits back down.... and the Assemply is just QUIET.

Finally Tanina makes her presence known with a light cough before she looked over the Assemply. "Yes, well i guess that's that. before we finish this Assemply, I'd like to know once more to surity: Who is to this expedition? and who will stay and, among other things, help with redestributing all spare food amongst everyone equally, so we have a day or 2 more before we truely run dry of grub?" She said and looked around, raising her own hand to denote that she will go out with the Expedition as the Chronicler and scribe.
The still-unnamed guy also raises his hand, and so does Jonats, but before anyone else can do so, he adds: Boss Johammed have agreed to lower to food 'request' down to one-fifth instead of one-third. this is a fair deal, and in exchange he will help out dealing with the foodshortage from his followers' supply of food. this is a promise from him. however, the assemply WILL owe him one for doing so." He said, with Johammed having a smug smile on his ugly face.
Tanina nods at Jonats, finding the 'request'... acceptable, and then looks around for anyone else who wishes to go out into the zone, or call out interest in helping with keeping everything afloat until the Expedition returns, as well as dealing with any projects that is wished to be built.

Ninjaman
2015-07-28, 05:00 AM
Trek failed to get a word in as the others discussed. "Great." He says when they are done. "Six will be a fine number." He adds. "Let's leave immediately." He heads for the exit before anyone has a chance to respond.

Space Lawyer
2015-07-28, 06:56 AM
"This assembly will owe exactly nothing to Boss Johammed. This expedition will benefit him and his followers just as much as it does everyone else. And if he wants to hoard food, that is his prerogative. We'll just all keep that in mind later. As for keeping 1/5 of the food we find, fine. His followers get nothing then, and they all go to him for their food. We all know who they are. Now, I've got better things to do than listen to you all act like there is some future to fight over when we're about two days from starvation. Now, whoever wants to help out without the hunting parties, organize over here in front of me so I can write down your names and send you out. Whoever wants to help build the pens, talk to Eco."

lilpuppy91
2015-07-28, 08:53 PM
Lucky raised her hand quickly and waved it. "Hi, I'm Lucky... uh, from five seconds ago, I was up there, and I said some stuff.. " she cleared her throat nervously and shifted her weight from side to side. "Uh... anyway, I'm definitely going on the expedition. So... yeah, I wanted everyone to know that... that's pretty much all I wanted to say. Thanks." Her body blushed fiercely again, but thankfully her coverings were once again her saving grace. She turned to scuttle away, then paused to turn back around and wave a shy hello at Doc Miri, then Eco accompanied by a shy smile that was completely lost on anyone that didn't have x-ray vision, then scurried off to prepare, Bunny close behind.

Ninjaman
2015-07-29, 01:31 AM
"Great. Expedition team gathers at the entrence in thirty minutes." Trek says as Lucky leaves the assembly.

Hemnon
2015-07-29, 02:03 AM
Prior to everyone leaving, Tanina gives some short info on where they are all head off to for this and then follows out Lucky, the dog and Trek.
So did Jonats and that still-unnamed person.

The Spare-arbitor for the Assemply rises, one of Tanina's fellow Chroniclers (by the name of Roosh), and takes over the discussion for what Projects to begin on, as well as how to coordinate the grub-share event and how to make sure everyone actually pays up their grub.
Johammed's got plenty of bruteforce ideas that almost everyone else present is HIGHLY against.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-30, 10:07 AM
"Ugh..." Endel snorts as he watches his new hunting companions leave the room. "A bunch of amateurs. half of them have no experience with the Zone whatsoever..." He mutters to himself. "And the other half probably won't listen to a word I say as soon as they see something shiny. Someone'll probably die on this expedition. And the Stalker'll get the blame...as usual..."
Continuing his pessimistic muttering, Endel follows the others out of the assembly hall, and quickly moves to his den, to gather what little he needs for a trip into the Zone.
"Meh. Life is so much simpler when they just leave me to wander out there alone. Not like I don't bring food back. But nooo, they think they know better. That they know the zone. Idiots..."