PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Libran

RazDelacroix
2015-07-25, 09:39 AM
Libran

They had raised her well, even if their child did bring up somewhat... interesting questions.
"Mama, the voices in my head are giving me advice on how to handle the bullies at school. Should I listen to them?"
Mama Warlock, the Maiden (well once-maiden) of Hellfire sighed. "And what is the dark infernal voice telling you?"
"That I should raze all they hold dear and broil them alive before their peers as I exult in my dominance over the fools who perceived themselves to be the masters of my domain."
"As much as I would love to agree, these bullies are also children my Sweet. And are thus beneath your attentions most vile in vengeance. You should listen to that voice that is clear and celestial."
"Okay Mama!" Mama Warlock smiled to herself as her daughter skipped through the house. She was proud of herself, in her youth she would have had no qualms with petty murder. Happily she went back to making her favorite cak-
"PAPA! I NEED TO BORROW YOUR HOLY AVENGER!"
Mama Warlock groaned. For a moment, she forgot how violent the heavens could be in their childishness.

A tiefling's lot in life is filled with distrust and suspicion. An aasimar's lot in life is filled with expectations and alienation. Both benefit and suffer from their respective inheritance of planar bloodlines. Usually when the two meet there is enough tension created from bias bred to make elves and dwarves seemingly chummy. However, rarely something of a romance may blossom and bear fruit. Though usually a child of such unions is either fully an aasimar or tiefling, an uncommon possibility arises as the libran.

Concordant Heritage

Physically the libran appears similar to a human in build, though a particular set of traits from their ancestry may merge and proclaim to the world at large what they are. Usually this creates an appearance of conforming dichotomies. If the libran is pale of skin they would have dark hair, and vice-verse. It is far from unusual for a libran's eyes to be mismatched in colors as well, or for their iris to be composed of two colors.

Any features derived from their tiefling parent would be accented with traits from the aasimar's own. Thick tails can have a light plumage running down to the tip, horns can be bright in hue, etcetera. Skin tones range anywhere from dark red to normal human hues and even through pale blues and greens. Libran physiology lends itself to a generally pleasing symmetric aesthetic.

Opposing Thoughts

The mind of a libran is forged from the very direct conflicts of good against evil, and growing up a libran child often assigns names and personalities to these as a learning measure. A libran finds pleasure in a well-thought argument and derides self-deluding hypocrisies in others. Humor often comes from playing devil's advocate or pointing out rather obvious (if monstrous) solutions to a problem. When speaking with those unfamiliar to them, a libran will often refer to themselves as 'We' while reserving the personal 'I' for friends and family. For a libran, good and evil are black and white. It is the question of which is right or wrong that is intriguing.

Libran Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2.

Age. Librans mature at the same rate as humans and usually live for a few years longer on average.

Alignment. Libran's do not have an inborn tendency to neutrality, but after suffering through lectures on morality and ethics they usually throw their hands up in the air and say 'Fine whatever!'. Possessed of a natural inclination to think of both sides of an issue, libran's generally gravitate to some form of neutrality. However, if given proper reasoning a libran can be extreme in their outlook on life as well.

Size. Librans are the same build and size as humans. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. Thanks to your planar heritage you share the Darvision trait possessed by tieflings (PHB pg. 43)

Psychic Resistance. A libran's mind is fortified with the very irate at being interrupted personality complex that grants resistance against psychic damage do you mind I am trying to have a civil conversation with myself about the pro's and con's of whether or not to spare your miserable life!.

Concordant Legacy. You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast dissonant whispers once per day as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach you reach 5th level, you can cast calm emotions once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestia, and Infernal. You might quite often mix up Celestial and Infernal in the same sentence.

DracoKnight
2015-07-25, 12:05 PM
Libran

They had raised her well, even if their child did bring up somewhat... interesting questions.
"Mama, the voices in my head are giving me advice on how to handle the bullies at school. Should I listen to them?"
Mama Warlock, the Maiden (well once-maiden) of Hellfire sighed. "And what is the dark infernal voice telling you?"
"That I should raze all they hold dear and broil them alive before their peers as I exult in my dominance over the fools who perceived themselves to be the masters of my domain."
"As much as I would love to agree, these bullies are also children my Sweet. And are thus beneath your attentions most vile in vengeance. You should listen to that voice that is clear and celestial."
"Okay Mama!" Mama Warlock smiled to herself as her daughter skipped through the house. She was proud of herself, in her youth she would have had no qualms with petty murder. Happily she went back to making her favorite cak-
"PAPA! I NEED TO BORROW YOUR HOLY AVENGER!"
Mama Warlock groaned. For a moment, she forgot how violent the heavens could be in their childishness.

A tiefling's lot in life is filled with distrust and suspicion. An aasimar's lot in life is filled with expectations and alienation. Both benefit and suffer from their respective inheritance of planar bloodlines. Usually when the two meet there is enough tension created from bias bred to make elves and dwarves seemingly chummy. However, rarely something of a romance may blossom and bear fruit. Though usually a child of such unions is either fully an aasimar or tiefling, an uncommon possibility arises as the libran.

Concordant Heritage

Physically the libran appears similar to a human in build, though a particular set of traits from their ancestry may merge and proclaim to the world at large what they are. Usually this creates an appearance of conforming dichotomies. If the libran is pale of skin they would have dark hair, and vice-verse. It is far from unusual for a libran's eyes to be mismatched in colors as well, or for their iris to be composed of two colors.

Any features derived from their tiefling parent would be accented with traits from the aasimar's own. Thick tails can have a light plumage running down to the tip, horns can be bright in hue, etcetera. Skin tones range anywhere from dark red to normal human hues and even through pale blues and greens. Libran physiology lends itself to a generally pleasing symmetric aesthetic.

Opposing Thoughts

The mind of a libran is forged from the very direct conflicts of good against evil, and growing up a libran child often assigns names and personalities to these as a learning measure. A libran finds pleasure in a well-thought argument and derides self-deluding hypocrisies in others. Humor often comes from playing devil's advocate or pointing out rather obvious (if monstrous) solutions to a problem. When speaking with those unfamiliar to them, a libran will often refer to themselves as 'We' while reserving the personal 'I' for friends and family. For a libran, good and evil are black and white. It is the question of which is right or wrong that is intriguing.

Libran Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2.

Age. Librans mature at the same rate as humans and usually live for a few years longer on average.

Alignment. Libran's do not have an inborn tendency to neutrality, but after suffering through lectures on morality and ethics they usually throw their hands up in the air and say 'Fine whatever!'. Possessed of a natural inclination to think of both sides of an issue, libran's generally gravitate to some form of neutrality. However, if given proper reasoning a libran can be extreme in their outlook on life as well.

Size. Librans are the same build and size as humans. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. Thanks to your planar heritage you share the Darvision trait possessed by tieflings (PHB pg. 43)

Psychic Resistance. A libran's mind is fortified with the very irate at being interrupted personality complex that grants resistance against psychic damage do you mind I am trying to have a civil conversation with myself about the pro's and con's of whether or not to spare your miserable life!.

Concordant Legacy. You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast dissonant whispers once per day as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach you reach 5th level, you can cast calm emotions once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestia, and Infernal. You might quite often mix up Celestial and Infernal in the same sentence.

Awesome! This race is very well balanced, and I honestly like that while it is the child of an Aasimar and a Tiefling, it has its own flavor. Also: you remembered to add in alignment this time. Yay!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-25, 02:45 PM
Yeah, the fact that this follows the mechanical template of the tiefling & aasimar means that it's guaranteed to be balanced.

Personally I've always felt that a tiefling x aasimar hybrid would be a human, the same way as someone with less than 50% orc or elf heritage is just a normal human. But... Your setting, your rules. This race looks like it would be fun to play.

bunnynoah
2017-07-28, 06:32 PM
Wow! I've been looking for something like this for a great while now. I really like the stats/abilities and the fluff. Awesome job!