PDA

View Full Version : Roy's falling sword

RobbyPants
2007-05-03, 11:21 AM
Okay, I don't think I saw this anywhere else...

Something I just thought about while rereading #443 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html), how did roy beat his sword to the ground? Shouldn't it have fallen faster than him, being much more aerodynamic?

I'm assuming this is nothing more than a small oversight.

KeithRK
2007-05-03, 11:29 AM
Not an oversight at all. In a comic, the laws of comedy overrule the laws of physics.

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-03, 11:35 AM
Magic is radiated from the Earth so all magical objects fall slower as their "field" of magic is resisted by the escaping magic, much in the same way physical objects have resistance from the air.

*may have been made up as I went along

One Skunk Todd
2007-05-03, 11:36 AM
This has been discussed but that's ok. :) For threads about real world physics being applicable to webcomics you can usually just search on "catgirl".

See http://www.errantstory.com/wiki/index.php/Catgirl

Wrecan
2007-05-03, 11:39 AM
Look at the penultimate panel of 442. When Roy gets hit by the meteor strike, he drops his sword. If the meteor strike then propels Roy's body downward faster than the sword accelerates towards terminal velocity, the sword will land after Roy.

It wouldn't have to be propelled very far. Just enough to account for the lower wind resistance of a thin blade vis-a-vis Roy's comparatively pudgy stick figure.

tanonev
2007-05-03, 11:42 AM
DIE CATGIRL DIE!

Anyhow, though I'm guessing this doesn't actually apply to D&D, the fact that meteor swarm can deal bludgeoning damage would imply that Roy got blasted downwards (even if it's not enough to change the number of rounds he has to fall, it should be enough for aesthetic effects) at the start of the fall, whereas the sword simply started to fall after Roy let go of it.

EDIT: Ninja'd ><

Stack-o-Lee
2007-05-03, 11:43 AM
Shouldn't Roy's corpse be surrounded by lots of little dead animals?

--
SoL

tanonev
2007-05-03, 11:44 AM
Summoned animals disappear when they reach 0HP. Or something like that.

Snake-Aes
2007-05-03, 11:45 AM
Shouldn't they have SIMILAR terminal velocities,given they don't have depth?

tanonev
2007-05-03, 11:46 AM
You mean Paper-Mario-style fluttering down? :P

Snake-Aes
2007-05-03, 11:47 AM
they don't have depth and are both going full speed downwards.Almost a free fall

orange
2007-05-03, 11:54 AM
It's because the sword rolled a higher initiative, duh !

Snake-Aes
2007-05-03, 12:02 PM
errr, Roy?

RobbyPants
2007-05-04, 09:09 AM
Shouldn't they have SIMILAR terminal velocities,given they don't have depth?
Although, I guess at that rate, they wouldn't have mass, and then wouldn't fall. :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, I was probably putting more thought into this than I should have...:smallconfused:

Snake-Aes
2007-05-04, 09:11 AM
It's too late, the catgirls are already tied to the surgical tables with chainsaws

Gygaxphobia
2007-05-04, 06:07 PM
It's because the sword rolled a higher initiative, duh !

lmao, that's a great response!
In RL you wouldn't notice any difference if those objects fell from the same height at the same time of course.

Albion
2007-05-05, 04:36 AM
Nothing really says the sword can't land after Roy with those premises and possibilities. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that it didn't penetrate his dead chest when landing. SCHLORTHUNK! Ultimate drama :smallcool:

Even more so if he wouldn't have been quite dead yet! Roy Greenhilt, the bane of the Greenhilt Sword he so loved & valued! Not even Eugene wanted it to be quite that grim, though he might have prophetized & feared it!