PDA

View Full Version : Question about Monk Unarmed Strike

ssandulak
2015-07-25, 08:03 PM
My DM and I have been arguing back and forth about whether bonus action unarmed strikes by monks (either just the one, or two if you flurry of blows) should include the +dex bonus to damage.

He insists they're counted as the second weapon in two weapon fighting, I suggest it's a completely different rule specific to monks and that it should be included.

I was considering tweeting the lead designer and seeing what he says since I couldn't find a definitive answer by him so far. I would appreciate input on whether I should or not as I'm sure he's absolutely slammed with tweets and questions every day :)

Thanks for your kind and concise answers good sirs and ladies!

Dizlag
2015-07-25, 08:29 PM
I've always been treating it as another attack allowing my players to add their Dex/Str bonus to the attack. I assume if the designers didn't want the ability bonus added it would be in the description.

Dizlag

Edit: This also seems to be a specific vs general rule as well. TWF says no bonus as a general rule for offhand attacks but the monks unarmed fighting is a different more specific rule.

MeeposFire
2015-07-25, 09:24 PM
Two weapon fighting is THE exception to the rule. All bonus action attacks get atribute to damage as per normal rules for attacks. The off hand in two weapon fighting is the exception because it is the only time where they say specifically it does not.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-25, 09:35 PM
The monk at my table gets to add his Dex to his Flurry.

ImperiousLeader
2015-07-25, 09:54 PM
If the bonus attacks from Flurry of Blows or Martial Arts were to not get the DEX mod to damage, then they'd be identified as off-hand attacks. But they're not, they're simply attacks. You should be getting the DEX mod to damage for those attacks. Even if you used a Monk weapon in your primary attack, the Unarmed bonus attacks should get the mod to damage.

Dizlag
2015-07-25, 10:04 PM
Two weapon fighting is THE exception to the rule. All bonus action attacks get atribute to damage as per normal rules for attacks. The off hand in two weapon fighting is the exception because it is the only time where they say specifically it does not.

You're right. I think I've got my specific rule mixed up with the general rule. =)

Dizlag

CNagy
2015-07-25, 10:13 PM
Just to add a bit more: two weapon fighting specifically mentions wielding two light melee weapons. Unarmed strikes are considered melee weapon attacks, but per the errata they are not themselves weapons. So two weapon fighting cannot be referring to or used with unarmed strikes. Even if you wanted to, you couldn't TWF with sword and fist, fist and sword, fist and fist, etc. Only two light weapons trigger TWF rules (short of using the Dual Wielder feat.)

ssandulak
2015-07-25, 10:44 PM
Thanks all, you've managed to help me convince my DM!

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-26, 06:00 AM
My DM and I have been arguing back and forth about whether bonus action unarmed strikes by monks (either just the one, or two if you flurry of blows) should include the +dex bonus to damage.

He insists they're counted as the second weapon in two weapon fighting, I suggest it's a completely different rule specific to monks and that it should be included.

I was considering tweeting the lead designer and seeing what he says since I couldn't find a definitive answer by him so far. I would appreciate input on whether I should or not as I'm sure he's absolutely slammed with tweets and questions every day :)

Thanks for your kind and concise answers good sirs and ladies!

You can add it, easy peasy answer, it isn't two weapon fighting because you otherwise would go for 2 times shortsword instead your fist(s).