PDA

View Full Version : needed: a cerebral adventure

Doc_Outlands
2007-05-03, 01:12 PM
Kinda an odd request here. I'm wondering if there are more "cerebral" adventures out there that have little in the way of combat encounters but instead have the PCs deal with traps, puzzles, and so on as the majority of the adventure. Level isn't important, as we have a rather wide variety of pre-existing characters to choose from.

Any suggestions?

EvilElitest
2007-05-03, 07:38 PM
Do urban champains count?
from,
EE

martyboy74
2007-05-03, 07:53 PM
If you're willing to hand out free rezzes (save a few for yourself...), Tomb of Horrors is always good for a few laughs for the DM.

Oh, and it's fairly cerebral too.

TheThan
2007-05-03, 08:07 PM
Get a hold of puzzles book, and a riddles book. Then go to town with designing a dungeon with lots of puzzles and riddles that need to be solved in order to progress to the next section of town.

henebry
2007-05-03, 08:12 PM
I second the Tomb of Horrors vote. Wasn't it updated for 3.5 over on the Wizards.com site recently? A free download, I think.

Yep. here it is, in all its glory:
Tomb o' Horrors (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a)

Matthew
2007-05-04, 07:44 PM
Hmmn. Mystery Adventures are often good for this sort of thing. The Free Downloadable Adventure Manifesting a Tale (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20010330a) might be worth a look.

UserClone
2007-05-05, 01:06 AM
How about the Dungeon of Doom from Grimtooth's WURST Book of Traps? Sword and Sorcery, yes, but fun AND funny.

Dant
2007-05-05, 08:19 AM
Thirding Tomb of Horrors. There's only a few combat encounters in the entire thing, the rest is puzzles and traps. Nasty, devious ones.

SpiderBrigade
2007-05-05, 09:08 AM
How about the Dungeon of Doom from Grimtooth's WURST Book of Traps? Sword and Sorcery, yes, but fun AND funny.Is that a collection of traps made entirely from sausages?

Tomb of Horrors might not be exactly what you're looking for. It is very heavy on the traps, with very little combat. So if that's all you need, go for it. On the other hand from what I remember the traps tend to be of the "unless you already know how this works you will be screwed" variety. There's not a lot of chances for the characters to use hidden clues to figure out which options are safe.

martyboy74
2007-05-05, 09:41 AM
Is that a collection of traps made entirely from sausages?

Tomb of Horrors might not be exactly what you're looking for. It is very heavy on the traps, with very little combat. So if that's all you need, go for it. On the other hand from what I remember the traps tend to be of the "unless you already know how this works you will be screwed" variety. There's not a lot of chances for the characters to use hidden clues to figure out which options are safe.

You pulled the levers for the 100' pit the wrong way, didn't you?

EDIT: But does it have explosion caused by excess cerebral fluid? That's good cerebral fun. :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-05, 09:45 AM
Hyperconscious by Bruce R. Cordell. Full of puzzles. Its also psionic-heavy,so its cerebral in all meanings of the word :smallwink: