PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bad-luck Bob

ILM
2015-07-26, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to make a cohort for a character of mine. The primary role I want him to fill is this: mostly passive debuffs to enemy saves. Like, just standing next to him makes you likely to fail. In practical terms, this means he'll have high initiative, and be able to debuff a single enemy in at most one standard action.

So far, I'm thinking the usual Hexblade 4/ Paladin of Tyranny 3 base, with Tome of Magic feats to bind Focalor. -6 to saves just by being there.

I have 8 other levels to play with. I'm thinking Rogue 3 (or sneak attack Fighter) to gain enough sneak attack to combo Terrifying Strike, Sickening Strike, Aleval School and Staggering Strike, for another (up to) -6 assuming no immunities.

Then we'll have the Insane Defiance feat (might be off on the name - that feat from EE that lets you redirect mind-affecting spells with an additional penalty).

If I can find a way for him to cast Prayer, that's another -1. Then I considered using a Life-drinker as a weapon to drain 2 levels per hit, but I need to get undeath from somewhere. That takes me to a maximum -19 to will saves.

This leaves me with 5 levels to play with, but I'm out of inspiration. Any ideas to improve on the build, fill those 5 levels, and add more debuffing goodness?

Red Fel
2015-07-26, 10:50 AM
Are you familiar with the Unseelie Fey template? It gives you flight, DR, and a vision upgrade, and some ability modifiers (although it penalizes you when using iron). But the big plug here is a choice of seasonal power. And here's the big one - the Winter Chill power. It gives all living non-Fey within 5 feet of you a morale penalty to saves equal to your Cha bonus. No save, no tricks - if they're next to you, automatic penalty to saves.

ILM
2015-07-26, 11:06 AM
Yeah but it's been houseruled way the hell out ;).

J-H
2015-07-26, 01:01 PM
There's a feat in CW or PHB2 - I think it's called Sickening Strike. Once per round, do 10 or more damage with a bludgeoning weapon, and whoever you hit has to save vs. DC 10+damage dealt or be Sickened for one round.

The re-roll forcing classes (CS? Fatespinner I think) would also fit.

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-26, 01:01 PM
If you can find a way to cast lightning bolt as a divine spell, 3.0's hexer is perfect for you.

Venger
2015-07-26, 01:41 PM
check out races of the wild's luckstealer. combine it with luck feats and bracers of fortune to continually recharge your luck pool by using your curse of the fatespurned ability. check out fatespinner and fatemaker for more luck-related things.

I made a character in iron chef a few years ago using basically every luck-themed thing in the game, feel free to mine him for ideas. here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12366061&postcount=244)

Twurps
2015-07-29, 06:09 PM
Add 1 level of bard, and the feat: Doomspeak. (Champions of Ruin)
It uses bardic music for a -10 to a number of things, including saves.