PDA

View Full Version : Does using a shortbow as an arcane focus for Witchbolt count as dry fire?

MonkeySage
2015-07-26, 12:29 PM
My character's magic weapon is a short bow prepared from the wood of a tree struck by lightning. He uses it both to fire arrows, and to cast witchbolt, his favorite spell.

When he casts witchbolt, he pulls back the string as if to nock an arrow made entirely of lightning, and then he releases.

I thought it sounded cool at first, but wasn't really thinking when I flavored it in that manner(and my dm apparently hadn't thought of it either). I'm wondering if this counts as dry fire, and whether or not a short bow could handle this treatment over time.

The bow is magical, specifically made to store the spell in question. But I'm not using the charges unless I need them, instead casting the spell from my own list of prepared spells.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-26, 12:39 PM
I'm wondering if this counts as dry fire, and whether or not a short bow could handle this treatment over time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dry fire", but I am sure that you've answered your own question with:

The bow is magical, specifically made to store the spell in question.

Magic weapons are basically indestructible, especially when they're doing what they're made to do. QED.

CyberThread
2015-07-26, 12:40 PM
My character's magic weapon is a short bow prepared from the wood of a tree struck by lightning. He uses it both to fire arrows, and to cast witchbolt, his favorite spell.

When he casts witchbolt, he pulls back the string as if to nock an arrow made entirely of lightning, and then he releases.

I thought it sounded cool at first, but wasn't really thinking when I flavored it in that manner(and my dm apparently hadn't thought of it either). I'm wondering if this counts as dry fire, and whether or not a short bow could handle this treatment over time.

The bow is magical, specifically made to store the spell in question. But I'm not using the charges unless I need them, instead casting the spell from my own list of prepared spells.

oh jeesh...do we really need to go this deep lol?

Okay so here it is. Magical object shoots magical thing. The only fair question would be could you hold said object your are firing, if you are worried about it hurting the bow also.

Go on some little quest to find some mystic mumbo jumbo to lacour the wood of your bow immune against this sort of damage , boom done.

Drackolus
2015-07-27, 02:22 PM
It's magic, you don't gotta explain nothin'.

Raphite1
2015-07-27, 02:43 PM
Remember to calculate how quickly your shoes and clothes will wear out and need to be replaced. Don't adventure without your shaving kit and maintenance equipment, if you don't see your character as having beard/hairy legs/hairy armpits. If you travel with a cart, be sure to roll every time it hits a small bump to see how much damage the wheels or other components take.

:smallwink::smallwink::smallwink:

CyberThread
2015-07-27, 02:45 PM
Remember to calculate how quickly your shoes and clothes will wear out and need to be replaced. Don't adventure without your shaving kit and maintenance equipment, if you don't see your character as having beard/hairy legs/hairy armpits. If you travel with a cart, be sure to roll every time it hits a small bump to see how much damage the wheels or other components take.

Don't forget to roll for initiative. Pretty sure a gravel road would be a battle encounter for the wagon.

1Forge
2015-07-27, 03:14 PM

Guys i think he gets the point, but some campaigns are just more realistic than others. The point is your bow should be fine as long as you take proper care of it, but if it really bothers you say that you fire an arrow with it that is consumed in the flames.

p.s. It's never a bad idea to have a shaving kit, its free alchohol (for fire) and a razor that could be used as a weapon.