PDA

View Full Version : Help with a character

koboldwins
2015-07-26, 02:54 PM
I am playing in an epic level game currently around level 30. I have played in this game for a long time to get this level and don't want to lose the character, but I have a slight issue I need help with. I started as a human and at around level 22 became evil by selling my soul to tiamat... (for a cursed cloak because the party died on the positive energy plane and got reformed without any of are stuff and we were going to get into a fight with an epic creature.) Now after I became evil I watched a were dire tiger cut its way out of the epic monster we had to fight and asked it to turn me into a were dire tiger it said no but sent me to become a normal weretiger. My DM says that were tigers are always (any) neutral so I went from LE to CN. Now I bonded with a dragon from a dragonlance book and became a rider for one of the orders (I don't remember which one but they are LE) so now my soul is bound to this dragon making me LE but my were tiger makes me neutral. And as this constant alignment shifting continues my DM said I would have to savce vs insanity.
Is there a way to become immune to insanity or a item that will make either my new dragon or my weretiger form switch to the same alignment? The dragon would have to go from LE to any neutral or my tiger form would have to be evil.

On a side note: I play a gunslinger from pathfinder level 21 and have 1 level of ninja (complete adventurer) and 9 levels of ninja of the cresant moon order (sword and fist)

My DM has been playing d&d for 20+ years and he doesn't know what he is going to do for this situation. Please help

Thank you in advance

ExLibrisMortis
2015-07-26, 03:05 PM
Well, the DM made up that save vs. insanity, and in addition to that, there is no reason you should be switching alignment like that.

First of all, the Alignment header of the Lycanthrope template tells you that lycanthropes can be of any alignment. The shift from LE to CN is completely uncalled for.
Secondly, selling your soul to Tiamat is an evil act (and a chaotic act), but does not neccessarily make you CE right away. You could've been your old (starting) alignment, just a shift further towards the big C & E.
Thirdly, bonding with the dragon is likely a matter of diplomacy (not mind control), though I haven't read the rules on this. Most likely, a LE dragon should never have accepted a bond from a CN creature. If it did, that'd constitute a LE act, but again, that doesn't mean you immediately change alignments.

I don't know your starting alignment, but you should probably be NE, having sold your soul to a CE deity, and bonded with a LE dragon. No save versus insanity needed.

As for actual immunity to insanity, that's a bit hard, as there is no condition called that (outside optional rules). There is the insanity spell, and wisdom damage is often flavoured as insanity. You can become immune to both by becoming undead, for example, or by using any other way to beat ability damage, ability drain and mind-affecting effects.

koboldwins
2015-07-26, 03:36 PM
My starting alignment was just N and the soul wasn't my first evil act I bought slaves from a mindflayer and a few murders as a mercinary . I will give my DM the info about lycanthrope being any alignment thought that should end all my issues and for being evil my DM will only allow LE and I play LE with all the deals I make that I get out of by finding loopholes and things so LE is what fits how my character acts most of the time. Also my character made the deal with tiamat to become a lawful evil demon/devil whichever is LE when he dies and can't be res'd

Draconium
2015-07-27, 12:13 AM
Hang on for a second - I've got the Draconomicon pulled up here, and it lists Tiamat as a Lawful Evil deity, not a Chaotic Evil one. So binding yourself to her is a LE act, which makes the bonding to the LE dragon right in line with that. So there shouldn't even be an issue of what evil alignment you are - it seems as though all the actions have been LE anyways. Unless a different source changed Tiamat's alignment? :smallconfused:

Also, devils are the LE fiends, so that's probably what you'd become.

Crake
2015-07-27, 12:32 AM
First of all, the Alignment header of the Lycanthrope template tells you that lycanthropes can be of any alignment. The shift from LE to CN is completely uncalled for.

I think you'll find:

Any voluntary change to animal or hybrid form immediately and permanently changes the character’s alignment to that of the appropriate lycanthrope.

As for

Secondly, selling your soul to Tiamat is an evil act (and a chaotic act), but does not neccessarily make you CE right away. You could've been your old (starting) alignment, just a shift further towards the big C & E.

Selling your soul can indeed be quite capable of changing your alignment. For example agreeing to a faustian pact for example immediately causes the pactmaker to become LE, I can see that easily extending to someone selling their soul to Tiamat. A god owns your soul.

Currently your Lycanthropy will be reverting you back to CN every time you transform, so you should point that out to your DM, and he might just have you permanently CN instead of shifting around, saying that your Lycanthropy is keeping you there, as it is consistently keeping you CN, as opposed to all the other effects merely changing your alignment once (one could potentially argue the case that Tiamat owning your soul would have a similar effect though).

As for insanity vs continuous alignment change, I can kinda understand that, since your psyche would only be able to handle so much of that before it begins to fray. If he's treating it as the insanity spell, then immunity to mind affecting (which you should really have already) will help. There's items and spells for that, or gaining a type that grants it, such as plant or undead. Note though, that those types may also lose you the lycanthrope template, depending on your DM (since lycanthropy is an affliction that can only affect humanoids and giants).

ExLibrisMortis
2015-07-27, 07:21 AM
@Draconium: You're right, I'm sorry. I was just thinking "Bahamut is LG, so Tiamat must be the opposite".

@Crake: In that case, he'd still be N, not CN (were-tigers are N, not 'any neutral'). Also note: "This is a reflection of how these animals are perceived, not any innate quality of the animal itself, so the Dungeon Master can arbitrarily assign the alignment of the animal form." Personally I'd put tigers at NG, but whatever. Point is, the DM is making this way more of a problem than needed, and you should probably let the player continue RPing their character as usual, as the text basically admits it's all in the mind (slash cultural background) anyway. Clearly this LE character thinks tigers are awesome, so to my mind that means they think of tigers as 'the ideal alignment', whatever that may be (possibly - probably - LE).

As for selling your soul: Yes, it can (and will, eventually) change your alignment, but there's no need to flash someone straight to LE. In the OP's first post, it sounded like a Pact Insidious borne of desparation, not a Pact Certain: "for a cursed cloak because the party died on the positive energy plane and got reformed without any of are stuff and we were going to get into a fight with an epic creature". Nothing about devotion to Tiamat, just an ill-advised trade (and one you can get out of, especially at epic levels). Though in the OPs second post it appears to be more like a Pact Certain, given the whole 'become a devil' deal, which would put you pretty firmly at LE. In any case, I misremembered Tiamat's alignment, so I didn't think about it in these terms. My bad.

In short: I think this character should just be a regular ol' LE dude with an LE dragon and an LE god, and the whole insanity business is just the DM being annoying.

Ruethgar
2015-07-27, 07:42 AM
There are rules for insanity in Ravenloft, a few books of which are officially licensed WotC. Of course that is painfully easy to remedy with the Hypnotism skill from the same book considering how easy it is to boost skills in 3.5.

koboldwins
2015-07-28, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the help. I am going to talk to my DM about this today so I will have all of this sorted out.