PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sorcerer Question: Mysteries and powers

Xuldarinar
2015-07-26, 03:02 PM
Given the nature of the sorcerer class, they can arguably learn spells from any list. As such, I have to wonder how far that can extend.

Could a sorcerer learn mysteries (the 3.5 shadowcaster class's equivalent of spells) or psionic powers?

IronicGentleman
2015-07-26, 03:15 PM
... or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.

Is this what you are referring to? I don't know, then, though I would not allow it as a DM.

Edit: Wait, of course: Sorcerers only cast Arcane spells. Therefore, even if they can learn them, they can't cast them.

Xuldarinar
2015-07-26, 03:44 PM
Is this what you are referring to? I don't know, then, though I would not allow it as a DM.

Edit: Wait, of course: Sorcerers only cast Arcane spells. Therefore, even if they can learn them, they can't cast them.

I see you are specifying Arcane spells, Well, lets address this a step at a time.

Sorcerers can know Sorcerer/Wizard spells, and spells bestowed to them by their bloodline.
Can they learn and cast Bard spells and other arcane spell lists? I'd say so and they'd cast them as any other spell on their list.
What about Cleric/Oracle spells and Druid spells? Any spell from these lists gained by bloodline is cast as arcane, so why not still cast them as arcane spells cast from Charisma?
When psychic spells come out, utilized by their classes, what about those?
If we go back to 3.5 but not leaving spell systems, what about celebrant spells?

Then we get to psionic powers and shadow mysteries. On one hand, they are not technically spells, but they do follow similar enough mechanics.
Now, personally if I were running things, I'd say yes but it should relate to their bloodline. But rule 0 can do anything just about.

AmberVael
2015-07-26, 04:04 PM
By RAW? No.

With permission, sorcerers and bards can also select the spells they gain from new and unusual spells that they have gained some understanding of.
While this is an incredibly vague line that in many ways has no DM-less, RAW interpretation, there is at least one part of it that is fixed. Namely, it says "unusual spells." Spells is a game term. Spells is something defined. Sorcerers learn spells, not anything else.

As mysteries and powers are not spells, they cannot learn them via this method. Now, with appropriate DM permission you could potentially create a spell that mimics a mystery or power and learn that, but that's not the same as learning a mystery or power.

If you're asking "would you as a DM allow this," then maybe. Depends on the sorcerer/mystery/power in question. But I'd be open to the idea.
Edit: Here's a good example of something I'd allow, for instance. Someone wants to make a time themed sorcerer! But uh... time spells are not exactly the most common. There are some time themed powers though! I'd be okay with conversion of things like time hop for such a character.

Psyren
2015-07-26, 05:45 PM
To me, "by study" means you invoke the spell research rules. Which, yeah all casters can do, but you shouldn't count on getting just anything that comes to mind approved; if it's not on the sorc list, I'd say it has to tie in pretty strongly with your concept as a reward for good roleplay, and even then you can expect adjustments to the spell itself for power or balance considerations.

Ultimate Magic has more detailed rules on spell creation, as well as the main guideline for the GM to follow:

The Golden Rule

Compare your spell to similar spells, and to other spells of its intended level.