PDA

View Full Version : Converting Pathfinder's Warder to DnD 3.5?

CoffeeIncluded
2015-07-26, 05:06 PM
Hey guys, I have a question for all of you. I'm DMing a game in a few weeks in 3.5 DnD, the system I know the best. I know a little bit of pathfinder as well, and 4E and 5E to a much lesser extent. One of my players wants to play a Warder from Pathfinder very badly. I agree that it's a cool class, but the problem is that I'm playing 3.5. I suggested she play a crusader, but that class doesn't fit her fluff (she's a very character-oriented player, as am I) and she wants to play a character whose prime mental stat is intelligence, not charisma.

How could I convert the Warder to 3.5? I was thinking that I should change the disciplines to Crusader disciplines, but do you guys have any other advice or help in mind?

Oh, and in case you're wondering why I'm not just running Pathfinder, I'll be in vet school and I'm running off modified modules--I'll be starting with the Sunlesss Citadel and going all the way up to Red Hand of Doom. This is why I can't run it in Pathfinder; I really really don't want to convert everything to Pathfinder and I don't think I'll have the time either. I'll be modifying encounters as it is!

Pluto!
2015-07-26, 05:27 PM
Warder's sweet and its blend of abilities isn't replicated in 3.5. Power level isn't too different from the original ToB. I'd steal it in a heartbeat.

Morcleon
2015-07-26, 06:55 PM
I'd just convert the skills over and use the PoW disciplines. No real change is needed beyond that.

Vhaidara
2015-07-26, 06:59 PM
Yeah, my recommendation would be to keep the PoW disciplines. ToB didn't really support alternative combat styles as much as we would wish.Iron Tortoise legitimately makes sword and board good, and Golden Lion is White Raven with an editing team (and generally more fun).

137beth
2015-07-26, 11:44 PM
The closest thing to a warder in 3.5 is the warblade, not the crusader.

My group (which runs 3.5) decided to use the path of war disiplines and maneuvers, but not classes. We said that the warblade gets warder manuevers, the swordsage gets stalker maneuvers, and the crusader gets warlord maneuvers.

Vhaidara
2015-07-27, 05:56 AM
The closest thing to a warder in 3.5 is the warblade, not the crusader.

My group (which runs 3.5) decided to use the path of war disiplines and maneuvers, but not classes. We said that the warblade gets warder manuevers, the swordsage gets stalker maneuvers, and the crusader gets warlord maneuvers.

If you read the fluff (and the native discipline access), Warblade is MUCH closer to warlord and Crusader is closer to Warder (just give Warder native Silver Crane and you pretty much have the crusader)

CoffeeIncluded
2015-07-27, 09:59 AM
So you're basically saying to port the entire class to 3.5 with only minor case-by-case modifications?

Morcleon
2015-07-27, 10:14 AM
So you're basically saying to port the entire class to 3.5 with only minor case-by-case modifications?

Yep. These will mostly be in regards to prereqs, skills and CMD/CMB.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-27, 10:20 AM
Acrobatics is made up from Balance, Jump and Tumble, Diplomacy should also be broken down into Diplomacy and Gather Information, though in all honestly I might bump their skills per level to 6+int (though as houserule I tend to bump all classes sp/level by 2 points).

The other problem might be the bonus feats at 3, 8, 13 & 18 since there are no [combat] or [teamwork] feats in 3.5. Combat are basically [Fighter] feats already so you should let Warders pick from them.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-07-28, 08:50 AM
Thank you so much, guys! I think that's what I'll do.