PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Eberron Artificer Reborn

Thealtruistorc
2015-07-26, 06:06 PM
As crazy as it was, I loved the Eberron Artificer. It defined 3.5 for me in a lot of ways and was very open to a lot of creative ideas (I could play that class nonstop through 50 campaigns and never get tired of it), and while I have seen several adaptations I have yet to find one that has really converted what made it so fun in my mind to Pathfinder. Straight-up updates strike me as boring, and the revised versions ended up taking away much of what I enjoyed in the first place (infusions, metamagic spell trigger, etc.). So, in light of all of this, I decided to cook up a revised artificer that I think keeps much of what made it so great in Eberron while still adding a bunch of new abilities that make players and DMs look at it in a whole new way in Pathfinder. Some of the extreme abilities (namely metamagic spell completion) have been toned down a bit, but are still capable of much of what you expect. The class features have been replaced with a system of discoveries used by the rogue and alchemist, and item creation feats are more flexible this time around.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nI2yMTUyToShU2iPruKPit0UFL-1WJ-I0iZkhMJ0G_0/edit?usp=sharing

Anyhow, there it is. Enjoy and be sure to comment!

Thealtruistorc
2015-07-30, 09:20 PM
Nothing to say, I suppose.

Xzoltar
2015-08-01, 06:29 AM
I guess class post on the board directly get more attention.

This look more like an Archetype of the Alchemist with a different list of Discovery and Item Creation feat instead of Bomb.

Advanced Engine : This seem like a little too powerful for a normal discovery and look more like a Grand Discovery.

Can you have both Arcane Mimic and Divine Mimic, do they function as both Arcane or Divine or you need to choose when you cast or rpepare your extracts ?

Armored Construct : Seem a little powerful too, but not worth a Grand Discovery so guess its fine

Bomber : This is a big feature of the Alchemist, so I guess trading only 1 Discovery for a whole Class feature is a very good trade off. That ability is not usually that powerful, but it is still worth more than 1 discovery maybe use your bomb at your level -4

Bypass Resilience : Ignoring Spell Resistance is quite potent, as im not that familiar with Extracts I can'T say how powerful this could be for an Artificer/Alchemist, but from my memory most are buff anyway so probably not a problem and this allow the buff to work on a Golem that he my craft and normally immune to extracts.

Metamagic Spell Completion : That's a very potent ability, but guess the 1/4 level is right (lvl 4/8/12/16: Extend/Empower/Maximize/Quicken) Can you stack more than one Metamagic feat as long as you dont go over that bonus, like at level 16 use [Concussive] and [Empower] on the same Spell Completion ?

Overall seem like a solid class I would love to play.

Thealtruistorc
2015-08-04, 10:05 AM
I guess class post on the board directly get more attention.

This look more like an Archetype of the Alchemist with a different list of Discovery and Item Creation feat instead of Bomb.

Advanced Engine : This seem like a little too powerful for a normal discovery and look more like a Grand Discovery.

Can you have both Arcane Mimic and Divine Mimic, do they function as both Arcane or Divine or you need to choose when you cast or rpepare your extracts ?

Armored Construct : Seem a little powerful too, but not worth a Grand Discovery so guess its fine

Bomber : This is a big feature of the Alchemist, so I guess trading only 1 Discovery for a whole Class feature is a very good trade off. That ability is not usually that powerful, but it is still worth more than 1 discovery maybe use your bomb at your level -4

Bypass Resilience : Ignoring Spell Resistance is quite potent, as im not that familiar with Extracts I can'T say how powerful this could be for an Artificer/Alchemist, but from my memory most are buff anyway so probably not a problem and this allow the buff to work on a Golem that he my craft and normally immune to extracts.

Metamagic Spell Completion : That's a very potent ability, but guess the 1/4 level is right (lvl 4/8/12/16: Extend/Empower/Maximize/Quicken) Can you stack more than one Metamagic feat as long as you dont go over that bonus, like at level 16 use [Concussive] and [Empower] on the same Spell Completion ?

Overall seem like a solid class I would love to play.

Thanks for your support.

Altered Bomber and Advanced Engines to coincide with your suggestions. Also added text to divine mimic to clarify it better.

I'm not really using the extracts list as much as I am the 3.5 Infusion list (which I will update with pathfinder spells at some point). Aside from a few damaging spells that only work on constructs and items (inflict damage and disable construct lines) it is almost completely support, so I don't see much issue with being able to ignore SR.

The Revised Metamagic Spell Completion is taken from the Unbound Scroll Prestige Class (in fact, many abilities are cribbed from classic 3.5 PrCs, you may recognize). The original version allowed for far more potent effects if you could pump UMD high enough. Also, you are allowed to apply multiple metamagic effects once you reach sufficient level.

I considered making this an alchemist alternate class (like the ninja or antipaladin) or hybrid class (alchemist plus gunslinger), but there was just too much fresh material (plus the infusions) for me to justify such action in my mind.

More stuff to come.