PDA

View Full Version : The most evil trap... EVER!

AkumaWolf
2007-05-03, 04:01 PM
This is like a urban legend amongst DM's down here in SA... and *apparently* happened to a friend of mine's friend... (or something)

He fell victim to the most evil trap... ever...

DM's... feel free to use this on your players but just a word of warning... you might be looking at an ass-whooping at the end of the day...

Okay... so the DM's explains to the PC's that they enter a normal square stone room through a door from the south.... in front of them is another door out of the room to the north... the only other things in the room is a level on the wall... with something that looks like a counter above it that reads "00"...

As they proceed into the room, someone steps on a pressure plate and both doors seals firmly shut!

Then suddenly... the counter jumps to '99' and starts counting down with each second that passes...

'What will happen if the counter reaches 0' everybody thought... 'Will the room flood?... will the walls start moving in...? And what does the level do...?'

Every second that passes, the tension rises... 'should we pull the lever... will it save us.... will it make the trap worst?!'

When there was about 10 seconds left on the counter... the party made a majority vote.... to pull the lever...

They pulled the lever with little time to spare... and to their relief, found out that it resets the counter back to '99' again...
With the counter counting back now from 99 again, they at least found a way to stall it until they can find a way out...

So then began the search for the exit... with one party member as the designated 'lever puller'

They tried EVERYTHING at their disposal... but nothing could help them find a solution to the trap... They kept on trying and trying.... they had struggled so hard to build up their characters... this wouldn't be their end....

Then.... after about struggling for 6 hours out of character trying to figure a way out.... they gave up... the trap can just kill them then and there.... they didn't care anymore...

The players looked nervously on as the counter counted down it's final time... counting down from 10... 9... 8... 7... 6...

*click*
*CREEEK*

Both doors in the room opened... and there was silence...

And then the players got up and kicked the crap outta the DM, before leaving and vowing to never play his campaigns again... :P

And that the end of my story :)
(true story apparently)

Ranis
2007-05-03, 04:19 PM
Seen it before.

X15lm204
2007-05-03, 04:39 PM
Heh. I remember the thread that's from. Didn't think anyone would be evil enough to actually use it.

Hypothetical
2007-05-03, 04:39 PM
Oh, god no. That's almost as bad as the build-up in the Online Comic "Once upon a Table" where the guy led us through something like 4 months of a dungeon crawl trying to get to one particular room in this dungeon that the PCs had been set after, only to find out that that particular room was empty.

Demented
2007-05-03, 04:51 PM
I think the trap was mentioned in a Wizard's article somewhere, and was linked to in a previous thread about traps.

Wonton
2007-05-03, 04:56 PM
Ah, it was pretty obvious.
I saw it coming.
Sorry, :P.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-05-03, 05:07 PM
Ahahahahahaha!
I'm using this.
I'm CRAZY using this.

Demented
2007-05-03, 05:17 PM
Oh, the original story, as I first read it, had the DM putting a stopwatch on the desk. The timer was 10 seconds. The players had to reset the stopwatch themelves.

EVIL.

GunMage
2007-05-03, 05:19 PM
If you really want to be evil, you could always have them fight Tucker's Kobolds to get to the room, with the room beyond it holding the head of Vecna.

Man, I just have to use this...

Jade_Tarem
2007-05-03, 05:24 PM
It actually doesn't sound as bad as the "you step in to the room, and you are teleported out of the room, and your possessions (ALL of your possessions, including clothing) are teleported to the demilich's chamber."

There's also the fake bomb from Slave Ship.

Tokiko Mima
2007-05-03, 05:24 PM
Ah! The D&D equivalent of the Chinese finger trap.

silentknight
2007-05-03, 05:36 PM
One of my friends was DMing and he pulled this trick on us. It was really annoying, because there was no reason for it. The room we walked into had only the one door and there was nothing in the room. It was a pointless waste of time.

Demented
2007-05-03, 06:28 PM
Actually, the dead end makes more sense as a trap. It occupies intruders for at least several seconds, perhaps hours, without doing any harm to someone who accidentally walks into it.

Otherwise it's nothing but a logic puzzle that a trickster might use to entertain his guests.