PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Hegde Magician/Spark of Creation. Is it worth it?

Unbodied
2015-07-27, 10:59 AM
What are people's opinion on these two traits? Is the 5% discount a decent choice for a dedicated crafter or is it to small to matter?

Kurald Galain
2015-07-27, 01:42 PM
What are people's opinion on these two traits? Is the 5% discount a decent choice for a dedicated crafter or is it to small to matter?

In my opinion, they're pretty weak traits. Now I realize that about 90% of all traits are pretty weak, but the remaining 10% are what you should be competing against.

Unbodied
2015-07-27, 03:45 PM
In my opinion, they're pretty weak traits. Now I realize that about 90% of all traits are pretty weak, but the remaining 10% are what you should be competing against.
Yeah but you've already said your piece. :P

I was hoping we could get more people chiming in if its a thread of its own.

Saidoro
2015-07-27, 08:15 PM
Well, you're crafting for the whole party, so even if you're getting a large chunk of your WBL from received items you can still reasonably expect to get an extra 5-10% of your WBL in profits. It won't be upgrading any of your main +numbers items, but it can buy you a nice supply of scrolls or minor utility things.

And if you're playing a game with a bunch of downtime it gets you money way, way faster than mundane craft skills will if you make and sell magic items. (Though not nearly as fast as the big guns like fabricate. Or blood moneyed masterwork transformation if your GM just doesn't care anymore.)

I'd generally say it's one of the more powerful traits if you intend on taking a bunch of crafting feats already, though not quite as good a few build-specific powerhouses like the metamagic reducers.

Milo v3
2015-07-27, 11:28 PM
It was minorly useful with my crafting character, making all the parties gear at only 45% the price is fine for a trait I think.

Unbodied
2015-07-28, 03:08 AM
Well, you're crafting for the whole party, so even if you're getting a large chunk of your WBL from received items you can still reasonably expect to get an extra 5-10% of your WBL in profits. It won't be upgrading any of your main +numbers items, but it can buy you a nice supply of scrolls or minor utility things.

And if you're playing a game with a bunch of downtime it gets you money way, way faster than mundane craft skills will if you make and sell magic items. (Though not nearly as fast as the big guns like fabricate. Or blood moneyed masterwork transformation if your GM just doesn't care anymore.)

I'd generally say it's one of the more powerful traits if you intend on taking a bunch of crafting feats already, though not quite as good a few build-specific powerhouses like the metamagic reducers.
I'm playing as a Ascendant Psion so I don't get these metamagic reducers(?) and I don't think there's a psionic equivalent, at least not for this archetype.

I assume Major Modify Matter is a Fabricate equivalent?

The GM is planning to set the campaign in a big custom made city and to give us a permanent base we can work from and were backup characters can stay or go on offscreen adventures that earn us money based on die rolls to represent their succeess. So I think we should have quite a bit of downtime.