PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a corrupted weapon

Typewriter
2015-07-27, 11:27 AM
So, long story short: In my campaign a player has a weapon that is called "Apollos Bow" and it fires orbs of light and has other various fun effects. The player who has it is a rogue and does not enjoy the lack of subtlety that the weapon employs. In Greek mythology Cupid made Apollo fall in love with the Oracle Daphne, but fired an arrow at Daphne to make Apollo repellant to her. Daphne became a laurel tree to escape Apollos affection.

My player fired an arrow from the bow (which was crafted with divine intervention) at the laurel tree that was once Daphne, AKA, the love of Apollo. So all of it's prior benefits are gone, but there's still power there, it's just that the power is corrupted. What would be a good, thematically appropriate, corruption for this weapon?

So far I have a penalty associated with it: Withered arrows - Any arrow fired from this bow that comes into contact with sunlight withers away to dust before it's able to deal damage to its target.

Ralanr
2015-07-27, 11:32 AM
This is to harm the player yes?

How about giving disadvantage on all charisma checks?

Typewriter
2015-07-27, 11:56 AM
This is to harm the player yes?

Not exclusively. I want the weapon to have some penalties associated with its use, but I think there should still be something to make the weapon usable/decent. Not better than it was or anything, just primarily different and something that is 'opposite' to Apollo. I was thinking something like untouched by light - the arrows are hard to see, granting bonuses to firing from cover or something along those lines.