PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Resting safely.

Starkeeper
2015-07-27, 11:35 AM
Long story short, we've lost a DMPC and a PC in the past two sessions, permadeath campaign, but that's not how things usually go and we seem to have gotten pretty unlucky. A bear mauled the DMPC while we were sleeping, it was a Paladin so his AC was crap without his armour, the PC we lost was also due to a night-time ambush, this time by assassins (Rogues) with Anklets of Translocation. They snuck up on him when he was on guard with our Cleric, two on each, the sneak attack damage rolled extremely high and he went down before he could even react.

I'm the Wizard of the party and we're currently level 5, we do a lot travelling through the wilderness and that's when we end up having ambushes at night. We don't use Rope Trick because stuff happens when we bring extra-dimensional storage inside, like Handy Haversacks, usually we keep 1-2 people up with nothing but a single Alarm spell around, it's obviously not enough.

So... yeah, I'm looking for ways to stay safe when we rest and avoid getting ambushed, core and supplements, no setting-specific(might be able to ask for some spells or items I guess) and no dragon magazine.

Yukitsu
2015-07-27, 11:50 AM
Handy haversacks can go into any extra dimensional space without risk. The issue are portable holes mixed with bags of holding both which can technically enter a rope trick.

Since it's a common misconception or deliberate house rule that any extra dimensional storage does cause any other extra dimensional storage to explode, you can also use the alarm spell which helps a little. Also, the anklet of translocation only has a 10 foot range, so spotting them shouldn't have been too hard if you cleared a perimeter since it makes it so they're automatically spotted as they close.

Geddy2112
2015-07-27, 11:55 AM
I don't see why you don't want to use rope trick. It does not damage your handy haversack, it just prevents you from accessing the contents while in the rope trick. Since you are sleeping there, take out the few things you need and keep them on you, then rest normally. Eventually you will get mages magical mansion, and then you are safe.

If you still don't want to use rope trick, you might want to start setting up some more mundane traps or alarms.Rope with cans on them, pit traps, etc. The bear was an unfortunate accident, but the assassins mean you are being hunted. Do good to cover your tracks with spells like pass without trace and the like. Keep things like food in bear bags, or simply sleep in the trees/whatever.

Also,the PC's are getting rolls to see/hear these threats, correct? Could really have just been bad luck.

The ultimate answer is to simply stop resting. Ring of sustenence is dirt cheap and only requires 2 hours of sleep per night. If the entire party has these, its only 2 hours in the rope trick, or 4 hours resting(half the party watches the first half, then you switch). Spells like keep watch and various alchemical things can also prevent you from sleeping.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 12:02 PM
When my party is resting in dangerous places my Paladin will take Restoration, Lesser and Warning Shout for moments just like this... You don't have to sleep, so you can always be on watch and an immediate action "Wake up and fight, you fools!" is handy as all get out.

Flickerdart
2015-07-27, 12:03 PM
The rules don't actually require you to sleep.

rockdeworld
2015-07-27, 12:03 PM
we seem to have gotten pretty unlucky. A bear mauled the DMPC while we were sleeping
That sounds lucky. Do you guys like the DMPC? It sounds like the DM was trying to rectify his mistake of introducing one in the first place.

We don't use Rope Trick because stuff happens when we bring extra-dimensional storage inside, like Handy Haversacks,
Handy Haversack doesn't interact with Rope Trick. Your DM is screwing you with no basis in RAW.

usually we keep 1-2 people up with nothing but a single Alarm spell around, it's obviously not enough.
Anklet of Translocation doesn't allow rogues to get close enough to act without triggering Alarm, unless you're standing 10' away from the middle of it, which you should not be. Assuming that's not the case though, your DM is screwing you with no basis in RAW. Again.

So... yeah, I'm looking for ways to stay safe when we rest and avoid getting ambushed, core and supplements, no setting-specific(might be able to ask for some spells or items I guess) and no dragon magazine.
Alarm, Rope Trick, talk to your DM. It sounds like you're playing a 1e campaign, but your DM isn't letting you use the tools the game gives you to deal with that, and you're not interested in re-rolling characters every so often. That discrepancy is worth talking about.

Spells/items only that would help survival:
-(Greater) Mage Armor
-caltrops (all around your campsite) - no RAW effect but maybe your DM will have them scream in pain
-spell traps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#spellTrapCost) - free if you cast them yourself. I rather like the idea of Glitterdust that activates when your Alarm does.

Useful items in general:
-Here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) of useful items in general.
-Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)
-Ring of Sustenance (as mentioned) is just barely within your means at this level.
-Rod of Extend Metamagic (for Mage Armor, etc)
-Wand of Lesser Vigor (for healing)
-Dust of Tracelessness would work (1/2 the time at this level) if you were being tracked, but the fact that rogues (and not rangers) found you in the wildnerness suggest your DM is ignoring those rules.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 12:04 PM
The rules don't actually require you to sleep.
True, but most DMs do.

My group got lucky and ended up with two clerics. Even better, one cleric worships Bahamut and the other worships Jergal. That means we have a cleric that prays for spells at dusk and one who prays in the morning.

Our group also generally will put another player on watch with my paladin.

Starkeeper
2015-07-27, 12:15 PM
DM rules that stuff happens if we pull a Haversack into a Rope Trick, we don't want to take the risk with that so it's still usable if we dump everything in and leave the bags out but the party doesn't want to deal with that hassle.

The bear was an unfortunate accident, but the assassins mean you are being hunted. Do good to cover your tracks with spells like pass without trace and the like. Keep things like food in bear bags, or simply sleep in the trees/whatever.

Also,the PC's are getting rolls to see/hear these threats, correct? Could really have just been bad luck.

The ultimate answer is to simply stop resting. Ring of sustenence is dirt cheap and only requires 2 hours of sleep per night. If the entire party has these, its only 2 hours in the rope trick, or 4 hours resting(half the party watches the first half, then you switch). Spells like keep watch and various alchemical things can also prevent you from sleeping.

The assassins are new, we've no idea why they're after us and successfully managed to capture one alive, we're getting our Cleric to use Speak with Dead on them too to find out what's going on. And yeah, the Spot checks failed to beat the enemy's Hide checks, which is why I'm trying to find a more reliable way to keep us all safe. Our deceased Rogue had a Ring of Sustenance, which our Barbarian is probably going to inherit, I'll have to re-check with our DM to see how much rest my Wizard actually needs for spell recovery.

That sounds lucky. Do you guys like the DMPC? It sounds like the DM was trying to rectify his mistake of introducing one in the first place.

Handy Haversack doesn't interact with Rope Trick. Your DM is screwing you with no basis in RAW.

Anklet of Translocation doesn't allow rogues to get close enough to act without triggering Alarm, unless you're standing 10' away from the middle of it, which you should not be. Assuming that's not the case though, your DM is screwing you with no basis in RAW. Again.

Alarm, Rope Trick, talk to your DM. It sounds like you're playing a 1e campaign, but your DM isn't letting you use the tools the game gives you to deal with that, and you're not interested in re-rolling characters every so often. That discrepancy is worth talking about.

Spells/items only that would help survival:
-(Greater) Mage Armor
-caltrops (all around your campsite) - no RAW effect but maybe your DM will have them scream in pain
-spell traps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#spellTrapCost) - free if you cast them yourself. I rather like the idea of Glitterdust that activates when your Alarm does.

Useful items in general:
-Here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) of useful items in general.
-Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)

We liked the DMPC, he was mostly acting as a meatshield and providing fun roleplaying interactions, the Alarm was centered on the tent we were in and the people that were on guard were a bit further away from it and the assassins popped in from that area, which did trigger the Alarm by the way, just a bit too late.

I'm going to look up about spell traps, completely forgot about them, they could be exactly what I need, thanks.

Edit: And now I remember why, they're way too easy to abuse, not sure I want to go down that slope, things would get messy.

When my party is resting in dangerous places my Paladin will take Restoration, Lesser and Warning Shout for moments just like this... You don't have to sleep, so you can always be on watch and an immediate action "Wake up and fight, you fools!" is handy as all get out.

We do have a Cleric and a Wand of Restoration, Lesser, having someone constantly awake could help a lot.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 12:31 PM
We do have a Cleric and a Wand of Restoration, Lesser, having someone constantly awake could help a lot.
Too bad Clerics can't cast Warning Shout. That spell is so handy in a campaign where nighttime ambushes are common.

Gale
2015-07-27, 12:52 PM
If you're looking for mundane solutions I would recommend sleeping in shifts. Preferably, two people stay up for a certain duration while everyone else sleeps. Make sure they are keeping watch back to back to prevent anyone from sneaking up behind them and keep the area well-lit with torches. Assuming everyone sleeps close together and there aren't near any obvious hiding spots or cover this should generally prevent anyone from sneaking up on the party. Any wannabe assassin would be forced to walk into line-of-sight of the people on watch. Even if their spot is terrible it should be enough to avoid surprise attacks. Unfortunately, this strategy most likely won't impede any ranged assassins or magic users. But really, if the DM wants the party to survive he'll probably let something like this work rather than look for clever ways around it.

Or if you would prefer not to draw any attention by sitting out in the open with lit-torches you could simply try finding a place to hide. Again, not a sure-fire solution but assuming you're not being explicitly followed at all times it could help mitigate the problem. Plus if you can find a cave or something it'll be easier to guard since there is likely only one point of entry. Now that I'm thinking about something as simple as keeping the party under one tent could help tremendously in this situation for this same reason.

There also isn't anything saying you must sleep during the night. Become nocturnal and at least then the party won't have to deal with the darkness of night providing additional cover for assassins.

One last thing; owls have a +14 listen check and a +14 spot (in areas of shadowy illumination.) There aren't given a price in the PHB but they shouldn't be much more expensive than a guard dog (25 gp.) Buy one, teach it to guard, keep it asleep during the day, and have it keep watch at night.

Segev
2015-07-27, 12:57 PM
Place multiple alarms in a ring? It expands the reach of it, at least.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 01:11 PM
The issue with Alarm:

Alarm: Alarm sounds a mental or audible alarm each time a creature of Tiny or larger size enters the warded area or touches it.
Emphasis mine. Our DM has gotten us with that tiny detail on more than one occasion. There are a lot of tiny creatures out there.

Starkeeper
2015-07-27, 01:12 PM
Too bad Clerics can't cast Warning Shout. That spell is so handy in a campaign where nighttime ambushes are common.

A real shame, truly, that spell is great.

If you're looking for mundane solutions I would recommend sleeping in shifts. Preferably, two people stay up for a certain duration while everyone else sleeps. Make sure they are keeping watch back to back to prevent anyone from sneaking up behind them and keep the area well-lit with torches. Assuming everyone sleeps close together and there aren't near any obvious hiding spots or cover this should generally prevent anyone from sneaking up on the party. Any wannabe assassin would be forced to walk into line-of-sight of the people on watch. Even if their spot is terrible it should be enough to avoid surprise attacks. Unfortunately, this strategy most likely won't impede any ranged assassins or magic users. But really, if the DM wants the party to survive he'll probably let something like this work rather than look for clever ways around it.

Or if you would prefer not to draw any attention by sitting out in the open with lit-torches you could simply try finding a place to hide. Again, not a sure-fire solution but assuming you're not being explicitly followed at all times it could help mitigate the problem. Plus if you can find a cave or something it'll be easier to guard since there is likely only one point of entry. Now that I'm thinking about something as simple as keeping the party under one tent could help tremendously in this situation for this same reason.

There also isn't anything saying you must sleep during the night. Become nocturnal and at least then the party won't have to deal with the darkness of night providing additional cover for assassins.

Definitely going to clear up the area we're going to camp at now and make it easier to spot people/defend, we've mostly dealt with wild animals and random critters so far so we hadn't put much effort into this yet.

Yeah I was planning to do that, going to setup at least a decently-sized perimeter especially now that we've got unknown assassins going after us.

The issue with Alarm:

Emphasis mine. Our DM has gotten us with that tiny detail on more than one occasion. There are a lot of tiny creatures out there.

Yep, we've had that happen, a tiny snake snuck in and triggered the Alarm once.

Thanks to everyone who posted by the way, all these ideas will help keep our party safer.

Bronk
2015-07-27, 01:22 PM
First of all, I'll agree with everyone else... Your 'rope trick' spell should work just fine, and it still seems as if the 'alarm' spell should have worked better than it did, so I suggest looking into further into that. Maybe put up more than one alarm spell around the edges of the first?

I'd suggest looking into switching over to at least the 'tiny hut' spell, then when you hit level 6, see if you can't get 'familiar concentration' from LEoF, cover the whole area with one of the illusion spells and let your familiar keep it going all night (until you get 'permanent image'). It would help if you could also swing a construct familiar, or even an elemental familiar, so they won't need to sleep.

Finally, I'd check to see if the Paladin did anything to torque off your DM, then avoid doing that. Maybe buy a pizza? Good luck with that one!

Edit: For the alarm spell, that 'tiny or larger' means that tiny still triggers the spell... only fine and diminutive creatures would trip it. Unfortunately that includes most swarms...

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 01:26 PM
Yep, we've had that happen, a tiny snake snuck in and triggered the Alarm once.
Still a great spell though! It's saved me before!

Finally, I'd check to see if the Paladin did anything to torque off your DM, then avoid doing that. Maybe buy a pizza? Good luck with that one!
I could be wrong, but I thought the Paladin was a DMPC? Maybe he just got tired of playing him.

Bronk
2015-07-27, 01:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought the Paladin was a DMPC? Maybe he just got tired of playing him.

I think the DMPC was mauled by a bear. Definitely a rough game!

marphod
2015-07-27, 02:05 PM
First of all, I'll agree with everyone else... Your 'rope trick' spell should work just fine, and it still seems as if the 'alarm' spell should have worked better than it did, so I suggest looking into further into that. Maybe put up more than one alarm spell around the edges of the first?

If your DM is messing with you by adding extra dimensional space rules, ask the DM as to why. Unless you are in the habit of attacking sleeping NPCs, this is a screw-the-PCs action, pretty much without cause.

Even so, do the rope trick and tie the haversack to the end of the rope. Pull all but the end of the rope with the haversack into the rope trick and alarm on the haversack.

Dude. DMPC. In pretty much every other post.

Edit: For the alarm spell, that 'tiny or larger' means that tiny still triggers the spell... only fine and diminutive creatures would trip it. Unfortunately that includes most swarms...

The issue is false positives, not false negatives. Alarms going off every time a squirrel wanders through the camp can be quite annoying.

Look into Skullwatch (SpC 191; Sor/Wiz/Cleric 3). Permanent, transportable alarm items. Make 8 of them, and lay them out in an overlapping manner. Use Hide to camouflage the skulls or some illusion effects. Not so good when you're trying to hide, but really good at being alarms.

Skullwatch lets you specify creatures to ignore for purposes of the alarm. So, the PCs, and create a long list of harmless tiny ignorable creatures. Store the skulls in an extradimensional space during the day. Since you're not going to be able to close the door to your rope trick due to the haversack stupidity, make sure you insulate the doorway so you don't get deafened.

marphod
2015-07-27, 02:07 PM

Exit, Stage left. PursuedMauled by a bear.

Flickerdart
2015-07-27, 02:07 PM
Do the skulls need LoE or can you bury them after deploying?

Segev
2015-07-27, 02:18 PM
Technically, a Tiny snake would trigger alarm. It is triggered by "Tiny or larger," not "larger than Tiny." Diminiutive and Fine are the only things that can bypass it without the password.

Red Fel
2015-07-27, 02:21 PM
If your DM is using house rules to prevent the usual method of safe camping (Rope Trick), and he's having your camp attacked by bears/assassins/whomever during the night, and he's having small animals set off your defenses...

... maybe he just doesn't want the PCs to enjoy a safe, good night's sleep.

It sounds like a joke, but that really might be it. Look back over the times you've made camp, and consider how many of them haven't been interrupted by one thing or another. And if you're honestly getting messed with almost every night, it's time for a new strategy.

I'd suggest rarely straying more than a half day's march from town, so that you can come home and sleep in an inn every night. If he has people break into your rooms there to attack you, call the constabulary and have them deal with it.

I'm just saying that, were I an adventurer, I'd value a good night's sleep. And if I were consistently deprived of that precious slumber, I'd get the message that the universe does not want me doing whatever it is I'm doing. And I'd go home.

But that's me.

Alternatively, isn't there some kind of bedroll that gives you a full night's sleep in a couple of hours? Can't you use that?

Psyren
2015-07-27, 02:41 PM
I'm the Wizard of the party and we're currently level 5, we do a lot travelling through the wilderness and that's when we end up having ambushes at night. We don't use Rope Trick because stuff happens when we bring extra-dimensional storage inside, like Handy Haversacks, usually we keep 1-2 people up with nothing but a single Alarm spell around, it's obviously not enough.

1) What about Tiny Hut? It's not perfect but total concealment for everyone sleeping is worth something.

2) Does your DM know that WotC recommends not enforcing that rule?

Segev
2015-07-27, 02:42 PM
Something else just occurred to me: there is a fine tradition that mostly pre-dates 3e of having a bevvy of hirelings working for adventurers. Hirelings often included NPC warriors to serve as guards, because the small camp of followers often guarded the loot wagon outside dungeons while the adventurers delved.

Hire some guards. Have them keep watch in moderate numbers at night. (I'm thinking at least 6 on shift at a time. That'd be 18 sp/day for 6 mercenary hirelings, and you could let them sleep in a wagon during the day or something.)

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 02:42 PM
Yep:

A bear mauled the DMPC while we were sleeping, it was a Paladin so his AC was crap without his armour,
Either the DMPC was a paladin, or that was one LG bear.

Darrin
2015-07-27, 02:44 PM
First, it sounds like the root of your problem is just the DM getting bent out of shape over the typical "15-Minute Adventuring Day" shenanigans and being a d-bag about it. Thus, any advice we give you here is probably going to be useless: anything we could possibly suggest will be negated by the DM because "a snake sets off the alarm spell" or whatever he wants to pull out of his tuchus.

Your best solution here is to talk to the DM and ask him why he insists on attacking the party with their pants down, and keeps deliberately sandbagging the party when they try to take reasonable steps to prevent this. If all of the players tell him point-blank, "That's not the type of game we want", then he may be likely to listen. Or you can work out a type of Gentleperson's Agreement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267097) where the DM is still allowed to surprise the party with an asymmetric challenge but does so without being deliberately unfair to the players.

I like the skull watch idea, but I have a feeling the DM is going to circumvent it just to be a jerk.

Some other ideas... get everyone a Heward's Magic Bedroll (3000 GP, Complete Mage). One hour of rest = 8 hours of rest. You have to wait 48 hours before you can use it again, but there aren't really any immediate disadvantages to not sleeping for 48 hours. If there's a druid/ranger in the party... give your extradimensional items to the treehugger and have him cast tree shape while the rest of the party hangs out in the rope trick.

If your DM gets twitchy about only 1 hour of sleep every 48 hours... maybe try a Folding Boat + Stone of Alarm. Cloak of Shelter (12080 GP, A&EG p. 131) is nice, but probably out of your price range for awhile. Leomund's secure shelter is available at 7th, and there's a Sanctified version available called celestial fortress, although it's from a FR-specific source (Champions of Valor).

Red Fel
2015-07-27, 02:45 PM
Either the DMPC was a paladin, or that was one LG bear.

Speak thee of Sir Bearington, First Knight of the Sacred Oath of Raargh? Truly, he was a warrior like no other.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 02:48 PM
Speak thee of Sir Bearington, First Knight of the Sacred Oath of Raargh? Truly, he was a warrior like no other.
Aye. Back when I was a wee lad, I watched Sir Bearington fight off an entire band of thieves with his bear arms.

Starkeeper
2015-07-27, 02:59 PM
The Tiny Hut is interesting, the concealment would definitely come in handy.

Skull Watch is very interesting, it's seriously unclear though, does it trigger regardless of any sort of invisibility, etherealness, illusion, etc.? Seems overwhelming if there are no limitations other than getting into the monitored area.

And yeah, our poor DMPC Paladin got mauled by a bear, poor guy, we were quite fond of him.

In hindsight, the Rope Trick ruling might've been because rest-time encounters have been a staple of the game since probably the beginning(I joined up recently). One important house-rule I should've mentioned is that uninterrupted rest isn't necessary for recovering spells, so night-time encounters aren't as crippling as they usually are. I can just sleep off the rest after we're done. Also, most of the time, nothing happens during our rests, but we're in wild areas with few towns so stuff pops up and it isn't safe, we've never been attacked or had any issues while in town though.

I'm aware of Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, but it's once per three days and at 3k apiece, it's not that accessible for a level 5, money's rather tight right now.

I'm going to re-state that the night-time encounters are not common and, honestly, not surprising since we're like a week away from any civilization and I really don't think the DM is out to screw us over, though I'd give the benefit of doubt about the Rope Trick issue being a kneejerk reaction.

Flickerdart
2015-07-27, 03:26 PM
Skull Watch is very interesting, it's seriously unclear though, does it trigger regardless of any sort of invisibility, etherealness, illusion, etc.? Seems overwhelming if there are no limitations other than getting into the monitored area.
The spell makes no exceptions for creatures using magic to hide themselves. It can, however, be explicitly defeated by any opaque barrier such as a wall.

ShaneMRoth
2015-07-27, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for ways to stay safe when we rest and avoid getting ambushed, core and supplements.

The DM will not allow you to be safe.

Because your DM is a mendacious butt-ass.

Show him this post.

(You. Yeah, you. You're a mendacious butt-ass, butt-ass.)

We have a term for this nonsense in my gaming circles.

Random Wandering Hit Point Damage.

If you use a Secure Shelter, you will be set upon by incorporeal or ethereal creatures in your sleep.

Same thing if you use an Instant Fortress.

If you somehow survive long enough to be able to cast Magnificent Mansion, and have the gall to actually cast that spell? Oh, Katie-Bar-The-[BLEEP]ing-Door. Astral Ninjas will pop out from behind the mansion walls and murder you in your sleep.

Just minimize the risk and establish the best sleep schedules you can, and reconcile yourself to the fact that there is nothing that can keep you safe from a Butt-Ass DM and his Random Wandering [BLEEP] Moves.

Bronk
2015-07-27, 07:46 PM
The Tiny Hut is interesting, the concealment would definitely come in handy.

And yeah, our poor DMPC Paladin got mauled by a bear, poor guy, we were quite fond of him.

In hindsight, the Rope Trick ruling might've been because rest-time encounters have been a staple of the game since probably the beginning(I joined up recently). One important house-rule I should've mentioned is that uninterrupted rest isn't necessary for recovering spells, so night-time encounters aren't as crippling as they usually are. I can just sleep off the rest after we're done. Also, most of the time, nothing happens during our rests, but we're in wild areas with few towns so stuff pops up and it isn't safe, we've never been attacked or had any issues while in town though.

I'm aware of Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, but it's once per three days and at 3k apiece, it's not that accessible for a level 5, money's rather tight right now.

I'm going to re-state that the night-time encounters are not common and, honestly, not surprising since we're like a week away from any civilization and I really don't think the DM is out to screw us over, though I'd give the benefit of doubt about the Rope Trick issue being a kneejerk reaction.

Sorry I got the Bear/Paladin/double-assassin-gank all mixed up. Just out of curiosity though, what are the other PCs? You're the wizard, you mentioned a cleric... Is there something that they could do to help out? A rogue to set up traps maybe?

Starkeeper
2015-07-27, 08:19 PM
Sorry I got the Bear/Paladin/double-assassin-gank all mixed up. Just out of curiosity though, what are the other PCs? You're the wizard, you mentioned a cleric... Is there something that they could do to help out? A rogue to set up traps maybe?

We've also got a Barbarian and a Ranger, the Rogue is the PC that died, the player's going to go for a Warblade this time though.

Bronk
2015-07-27, 09:16 PM
We've also got a Barbarian and a Ranger, the Rogue is the PC that died, the player's going to go for a Warblade this time though.

With three front-line warrior types, and considering it sounds like your DM makes sure you take off your armor when you sleep, I'd also suggest three 'restful crystals' , that straight up let you sleep in your armor. They're 500g each from the MIC, and require an armor of at least +1 to attach to.

Jack_Simth
2015-07-27, 09:47 PM
As to the OP:
Summon Monster III. Celestial Dire Badger (party Cleric can do it, too, unless you're playing South of Neutral). Leaves behind a usable tunnel, 5 feet in diameter. It's Celestial, so it has an intelligence score of three. No language is defined for the critter, so it goes back to the definition of intelligence where it specifies that it understands common. Summoned critter, so does what you tell it in a language it can understand.

Dig yourself a tunnel a little ways underground, set a few branches. Now, there's still going to be ways you can be caught by surprise (there are other burrowing critters out there), but that's always a possibility when the DM WANTS to catch you sleeping, but it will cut things down such that most creatures will be forced to come through the path you've defined. Stick your watchman such that he'll see anyone coming into the hole, and make sure that anyone approaching the watchman is in prime position to be flanked by the people the watchman wakes up. When you make the terrain, you control whether or not cover and concealment are options. Light it up, and no hide check is possible in your tunnel without Invisibility or some such.

Edit: Combines well with Skull Watch, incidentally.

Handy haversacks can go into any extra dimensional space without risk. The issue are portable holes mixed with bags of holding both which can technically enter a rope trick.Sort of. The description of Rope Trick explicitly calls it out as being "hazardous" to do such things, while giving no specific interaction. The Portable Hole / Bag of Holding and Bag of Holding / Portable Hole is the only specifically defined interaction. DMG page 6, right hand column, second full paragraph starts off with "Often a situation will arise that isn't explicitly covered by the rules", and one of the first suggestions on how to deal with them? "Look to any similar situation that is covered in a rulebook."

So when Rope Trick says it's hazardous, and the only defined interaction between such things is the Bag of Holding / Portable Hole one... the first suggestion the DMG has for you is to go to the Portable Hole / Bag of Holding result. While not everyone will come to that conclusion, and it's not the only conclusion, it's very much a valid one.

marphod
2015-07-28, 10:03 PM
Do the skulls need LoE or can you bury them after deploying?

The Skulls need line of effect. (and they explicitly float 5' off the ground, so burying them would be impressive. =) ) Hence wanting to make them invisible or otherwise disguised.

While it is under-specified as to how it detects things, it uses very similar language to Alarm, so use that as a guideline.

marphod
2015-07-28, 10:05 PM
They're 500g each from the MIC, and require an armor of at least +1 to attach to.

Where's that from? They are priced as Least Crystals, which means you should just need masterwork.

Elkad
2015-07-28, 11:24 PM
I start screwing with sleeping players when they start using a 15-minute adventuring day.

Rogues will disable their Alarm spells and sneak into their camp. Creatures will burrow under. Someone will spot their rope trick (or track the players) and set an ambush around it, or build a giant fire under it, or fill the room it's in with water, or dispel it and dump them on their heads. Wake up the casters a lot and interrupt their rest. Make them track food & water. Add time-critical quests. And whatever else I feel is necessary to keep them from going nova on every encounter.

Either that, or every encounter turns into CR+4 to challenge them, but with 10% xp so they don't level every day.

If my players are willing to push on when they are hurt, or down on spells, I'll back off when they actually need to rest. Sure, I'll throw in an easy encounter occasionally to keep them honest, but generally they are safe.