PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Necromancy spells

ImSAMazing
2015-07-27, 01:07 PM
I have a question/thing to think about: Spells like Animate Dead, Create Undead and Finger of Death create Undead. At higher levels, it may be useful to equip them with armor and weapons. But which proficiencies will you give Undead created by spells?

Daishain
2015-07-27, 01:17 PM
I have a question/thing to think about: Spells like Animate Dead, Create Undead and Finger of Death create Undead. At higher levels, it may be useful to equip them with armor and weapons. But which proficiencies will you give Undead created by spells?
It is assumed that if a particular creature in the MM has a weapon/armor on, they're proficient in that gear. Anything more than that is up to the DM.

Most undead are not intelligent, so you can't teach them anything new. (and the intelligent ones tend to resent being controlled) There is however precedent for them to retain skills they had in life. As a result, I'd say that it depends on what soul the body belonged to prior to them departing for the outer planes.

Millface
2015-07-27, 01:17 PM

Proficiencies that they had in life. As the DM I would randomize it. This one was proficient in Greatsword/Longbow. This one was not proficient in anything. This one was proficient in heavy armor, etc.

If you watch a level 2 fighter go down and you zombify him that makes it simpler.

This is all for weapon/armor proficiencies though, they don't get skill proficiencies if my memory serves me.

Inevitability
2015-07-28, 04:38 AM
Zombies are described as being able to use weapons in the MM, so I'd give them Simple weapons. Maybe those who used to be warriors or guards in life have Martial. No armor, though.

Wights use Studded Leather and Martial weapons, so they'd have at least Light (perhaps Medium) armor and all weapons.

Skeletons use Martial weapons. I don't count 'armor scraps' as armor proficiency, though.

Mummies get no proficiencies. Maybe if they were warriors in life, but even then I'm not too sure.