PDA

View Full Version : is it able to make obito?

Gambitspades
2015-07-27, 04:34 PM
how able is it to make obito (from naruto) in DND 3.5
i was thinking about thereal a lot...but then i figured that this forum is filled with people who are more creative about these things.
so please leave suggestions. I mainly want to focus on his ability to be unhittable

Unbodied
2015-07-27, 04:44 PM
how able is it to make obito (from naruto) in DND 3.5
i was thinking about thereal a lot...but then i figured that this forum is filled with people who are more creative about these things.
so please leave suggestions. I mainly want to focus on his ability to be unhittable

Please work on your grammar.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psion_Uncarnate

Not quite Obito but this should give you the intangible part at least.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 04:49 PM
Howdy, Gambit.

Generally I'd stay away from the spellcastery option, but I feel like pretty much everybody in Naruto was some form of a wizard or another... I'd probably poke around in the Illusion school when making Tobi.

For ease of reference, here is the Psion Uncarnate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm) class that Unbodied previously referenced. d20srd is a little more trustworthy than DandDWiki.

illyahr
2015-07-27, 04:50 PM
Please work on your grammar.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psion_Uncarnate

Not quite Obito but this should give you the intangible part at least.

Obito shifts between intangible and tangible at will as an immediate action, he can't maintain it indefinately. He also has his own personal demiplane that he can shift into and out of at will.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 04:54 PM
If memory serves, Obito can't do damage while he is unable to take damage. Which is probably fairly easy to replicate in D&D.

Obito shifts between intangible and tangible at will as an immediate action, he can't maintain it indefinately. He also has his own personal demiplane that he can shift into and out of at will.
I was just about to message you, I figured as "His Bardlyness" you'd have some good ideas for illusion magic.

illyahr
2015-07-27, 05:01 PM
If memory serves, Obito can't do damage while he is unable to take damage. Which is probably fairly easy to replicate in D&D.

I was just about to message you, I figured as "His Bardlyness" you'd have some good ideas for illusion magic.

Aww, I feel special. :smallbiggrin:

I don't think it's an illusionary effect, though. He is physically where he appears to be, he just can't interact with the physical world while in that state at all. It has something to do with being tied to his own personal demiplane. Only Kakashi can affect him while doing it an only because Kakashi has the same "key" to it that Obito uses (it's an ocular power and Kakashi has one of Obito's eyes).

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 05:12 PM
Aww, I feel special. :smallbiggrin:
:smallbiggrin:

I don't think it's an illusionary effect, though. He is physically where he appears to be, he just can't interact with the physical world while in that state at all. It has something to do with being tied to his own personal demiplane. Only Kakashi can affect him while doing it an only because Kakashi has the same "key" to it that Obito uses (it's an ocular power and Kakashi has one of Obito's eyes).
Hmmm. It's like being halfway into the ethereal plane. Planes are not my strong suit.

illyahr
2015-07-27, 05:26 PM
Hmmm. It's like being halfway into the ethereal plane. Planes are not my strong suit.

Got it, blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm) makes you incorporeal at random and ethereal jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm) does the planar teleportation. Obito is totally doable with a minimum spell-level manipulation.

Sorc9/Ftr1/Eldritch Knight 10. Gives you what you what you need, right there. Doesn't even need too much.

I win :smallbiggrin:

http://media.giphy.com/media/X87RFC0oNwAi4/giphy.gif

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-27, 05:30 PM
Go illyahr!
https://33.media.tumblr.com/c653f3c497a7cce2f0358b4417ded1f9/tumblr_nrzkx2lPcN1uohavpo1_500.gif

icefractal
2015-07-27, 06:03 PM
Simple solution - use normal Incorporeal status, assume that nobody in the show had a magic weapon, spells, or force effects.

To match the strength of the ability in-setting more:
1) Be Ethereal
2) Use Transdimensional Project Image to create the version of yourself that people see
3) Use other Transdimensional spells to attack with

Really hard to beat if the opposition isn't packing [Force] effects. It doesn't really do the weakness though, that'd have to be homebrew. I thought about simply "exists on the material plane while attacking", but that's overselling it - he can always choose to resume desolidification (cancelling the attack) rather than take the hit.

In HERO this'd be pretty easy. :smallwink:

illyahr
2015-07-27, 06:31 PM
That was just with core. Sorcerer/Swordsage/JPM would give you far more oomph.

ben-zayb
2015-07-27, 06:39 PM
I tried making this at epic level of gameplay before, and this is the rather tall requirement:

Arcane Mastery feat
Permanent Emanation feat, on Otiluke's Suppressing Field (transmutation) of caster level X
Persistent Ethereal Jaunt of caster level X
every other transmutation spell effect you have must be at caster level X+1

Basically, what you do is toggle the Suppressing field as a free action, on to be in the material world, and off to be in ethereal. By taking 10 in the CL check, only the Ethereal Jaunt will be affected by the Suppressing Field.

EDIT: If you are gestalted/theurged with psionic-classes, or are simply using StP Erudite's ability to add the above spells to your powers known, you may also want to look at the Ethereal Abduction power, which should be self explanatory in what it does…

Mato
2015-07-27, 08:04 PM
Monk 9 / divine crusader 1 / sacred fist 10
Would be a very truthful adaptation if you cannot use psionics.

Using invisible fist, a 9th level monk with 16 wisdom can perpetually remain under the effects of blink. Divine crusader grants you a single domain and up to 9th level spells (through sacred fist is not full progression), several ninjas in Naruto's world are said to have even a thousand jutsus but all they really do is spam their 1~3 favorites. I don't think Obito really used anything other teleporting weapons in, a single fire technique, and summoning the Gedo Mazda but I could be wrong.

DMVerdandi
2015-07-27, 11:49 PM
There needs to be more honestly.
Illyahir started in the right direction https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ae/0e/bf/ae0ebf327273572e32fe74eb05874776.jpg

My take would actually be:
Human Wizard (Spontaneous Divination and Eidetic Spellcaster.) 2/Human Paragon 3/War Weaver 5/Abjurant Champion 5/XX 5

Take two flaws "maybe murky eyed and vulnerable"
You are going to "need", are combat casting, and enlarge spell
Take Able Learner and Practiced spell caster at first level. Take Optical Spell with the bonus feat from human paragon. Also, purchase Fiery Blast and Dimensional Jaunt Reserve Feats.

The last five levels are open, so depending on how you would want to play him, you could take Unseen seer 5, Nightmare Spinner 5, or Shadowcraft Mage 5. Or simply pick up 5 more levels of wizard for bonus feats.

Spells to take:
Kamui Spells
Dimenstion step
Dimension hop
Dimension leap
Dimension door
Dimension Jumper
Greater Dimension Jumper
Familiar Refuge
Plane Shift
Teleport
Teleport Object
Greater Teleport
Ethereal Jaunt
Greater Blink
Shadow Cache

Hypnotic eye (Saimingan) Spells

Hypnotic Pattern
Phantasmal Killer
Phantasmal Injury
Phantasmal Strangler
Vertigo
Mislead
Phantasmal Wasting
Soliphism
Weird

Charm Person/Charm Monster
Sleep
Daze
Incite
Inhibit
Binding
Dominate Person/Monster
Geas [And lesser]
Hold Monster/Person [ And Mass]
Confusion/Insanity
Feeblemind
Suggestion
Evil Glare
Cause Fear
Scare
Aura of terror

Katon Spells

Fireball
Delayed Blast Fireball
Orb of fire[lesser]
Blast Of flame
Dragon Breath

Ninpo Spells

Accelerated movement
Haste
Animalistic Power
Mage armor[+greater]
Stone Body
Celerity [+lesser]
Expeditious Retreat[+Swift]
Heroics
Nerveskitter
Magic Weapon[+Greater]
Spider Climb
Surefooted stride

Divine Power {Researched spell}
Water Walk {Researched spell}

63 spells in total.
I would have included mokuton and Rin'negan spells, but for the most part all of the wood spells are with druid. I may do Rin'negan Spells tomorrow, but it's a bit late right now, and I hand-picked the spells already.

instead, one could also use a spell to power erudite as well, but take that with a grain of salt.
The build up there has some real power behind it.

Shadowscale
2015-07-28, 12:33 AM
But how minefield jutsu though?

DMVerdandi
2015-07-28, 12:42 AM
But how minefield jutsu though?

Explosive rune field

Xuldarinar
2015-07-28, 02:55 AM
While not necessarily the best class for this, is there not a ninja class or two?

Shadowscale
2015-07-28, 05:49 AM
I want to see someone make Madara at his most powerful with the rinnegan and complete susanoo now.

khadgar567
2015-07-28, 06:17 AM
I want to see someone make Madara at his most powerful with the rinnegan and complete susanoo now.
well susanoo is easy go synergist and grab large evolution twice the then use magic weapon

darksolitaire
2015-07-28, 07:17 AM
well susanoo is easy go synergist and grab large evolution twice the then use magic weapon

Sounds dangerously like Pathfinder. My suggestion would have been reskinned Wu Jen Giant Size.

khadgar567
2015-07-28, 07:34 AM
Sounds dangerously like Pathfinder. My suggestion would have been reskinned Wu Jen Giant Size.
well its path finder alright and you can do it even in unchained version

illyahr
2015-07-28, 07:48 AM
well its path finder alright and you can do it even in unchained version

I think the thread is trying to stick to 3.5.

@DMVerdandi: I don't think I agree with the Human Paragon levels. He wasn't really all that strong until Madara got his hands on him. The only reason he's was still alive was because he was using a life-support system designed by Madara (the white zetsu part of his body).

I get the War Weaver levels, that makes sense. I like where you're going with this. :smallsmile:

Bad Wolf
2015-07-28, 08:43 AM

Rinnegan might be a bit hard to duplicate.

illyahr
2015-07-28, 09:52 AM
Rinnegan might be a bit hard to duplicate.

I'd call it a graft with at-will spell-like or supernatural abilities. You can build one using the item creation rules. The only people to develop the rinnegan naturally were the Sage of Six Paths and his mother, and they had Divine Rank so they don't count.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-28, 09:55 AM
I'd call it a graft with at-will spell-like or supernatural abilities. You can build one using the item creation rules. The only people to develop the rinnegan naturally were the Sage of Six Paths and his mother, and they had Divine Rank so they don't count.
It'd be neat, if slightly underpowered, to use the rinnegan to split up your levels between multiple bodies. By level 20 you could have 4 level 5 characters that were all specialized to do something else. However you'd be really crippled by it... neat idea, horrible in practice.

illyahr
2015-07-28, 10:00 AM
It'd be neat, if slightly underpowered, to use the rinnegan to split up your levels between multiple bodies. By level 20 you could have 4 level 5 characters that were all specialized to do something else. However you'd be really crippled by it... neat idea, horrible in practice.

I don't think it would split your levels, I think it would allow you to make avatars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm) as the Divine Salient Ability. The graft itself seems to be a combination of celestial and infernal bloodlines, so it would make sense after a fashion. It would allow the user to communicate with his avatars and the avatars would gain a few of the users DSA's.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-28, 10:07 AM
I don't think it would split your levels, I think it would allow you to make avatars (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm) as the Divine Salient Ability. The graft itself seems to be a combination of celestial and infernal bloodlines, so it would make sense after a fashion. It would allow the user to communicate with his avatars and the avatars would gain a few of the users DSA's.
That would work. It's a shame though, since you need a divine rank.

Funny story, my DM said if I could kill Lolth (we're playing Expedition to the Demon Web Pits) he would grant me her Divine Rank.

illyahr
2015-07-28, 10:12 AM
That would work. It's a shame though, since you need a divine rank.

Not if the graft itself results in a pseudo-divine rank. Rinnegan is a combination of Yin Release (light style) and Yang Release (dark style). The Sharingan is an extreme form of visual Yang Release because the Uchiha are descended from the Sage of Six Paths' eldest son. The Wood Release is an extreme Yin Release since the Senju are descended from the Sage's youngest son. Tsunade's Mitotic Regeneration is a branch of the Senju's Yin Release, as is the ability to activate Sage Mode.

The Caster Level requirement to get a Rinnegan graft to function would have to be near epic or epic leveled. The goal of decades...like the amount of time Madara spent trying to get it to work before entrusting the graft to Obito.

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-28, 10:39 AM
Not if the graft itself results in a pseudo-divine rank.
Wow. Illyahr the science bard. I've never been good with grafts in D&D, but this all sounds reasonable.

illyahr
2015-07-28, 11:00 AM
Divine Salient Abilities are extremely fluffable, so we just make a graft that provides a pseudo-divine rank and some DSA's that match the Rinnegan abilities. Obito and Nagato used the Avatar DSA to control six bodies and make them avatars and granted each of them one or two of the DSA's of the Rinnegan.

I'm on a roll! Next question!

https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1388369056ra/7812313.gif

LoyalPaladin
2015-07-28, 11:09 AM
*announcer voice* Illyahr, you've just solved the mystery of the Rinnegan. What are you gonna do next?

Shadowscale
2015-07-28, 11:15 AM
Divine Salient Abilities are extremely fluffable, so we just make a graft that provides a pseudo-divine rank and some DSA's that match the Rinnegan abilities. Obito and Nagato used the Avatar DSA to control six bodies and make them avatars and granted each of them one or two of the DSA's of the Rinnegan.

Excuse my fogginess on it, but didn't Madara naturally get his Rinnegann from shipping himself with wood boy?

illyahr
2015-07-28, 11:43 AM
*announcer voice* Illyahr, you've just solved the mystery of the Rinnegan. What are you gonna do next?

I'm taking my eladrin band and heading to Infernal Riffs!

Excuse my fogginess on it, but didn't Madara naturally get his Rinnegann from shipping himself with wood boy?

Madara grafted some of Hashirama's cells into his body and performed forbidden jutsu in order to fuse their genetic structures. It worked, but it took almost 100 or so years and he had to put himself on magical life support before the process finally produced the Rinnegan. Even then, he was no longer in any condition to make use of it, hence tasking Obito to put things in motion to have him resurrected.

Basically, he chimera'd himself.

Shadowscale
2015-07-28, 11:46 AM
I'm taking my eladrin band and heading to Infernal Riffs!

Madara grafted some of Hashirama's cells into his body and performed forbidden jutsu in order to fuse their genetic structures. It worked, but it took almost 100 or so years and he had to put himself on magical life support before the process finally produced the Rinnegan. Even then, he was no longer in any condition to make use of it, hence tasking Obito to put things in motion to have him resurrected.

Basically, he chimera'd himself.

I like how it took him all that time, but it was basically candy to sasuke to get.
Anyhow that makes sense, I was just curious since he was such a powerful character with so many abilities literally all of them with the Rinnegan if he was even possible to be made.

illyahr
2015-07-28, 11:54 AM
I like how it took him all that time, but it was basically candy to sasuke to get.
Anyhow that makes sense, I was just curious since he was such a powerful character with so many abilities literally all of them with the Rinnegan if he was even possible to be made.

Sasuke is the spiritual reincarnation of the Sage's elder son. The Sage, who now exists outside of time, gave him his Yin chakra. Since he now has both Yin and Yang chakra naturally, rather than unnaturally like Madara, he awakened the Rinnegan and the Rinnegan's raw power. Naruto, the spiritual reincarnation of the Sage's youngest, was given his Yang chakra. With both Yin and Yang chakra, he developed the Six Paths techniques and was able to become host for all of the tailed beasts.

Mato
2015-07-28, 01:25 PM
Rinnegan might be a bit hard to duplicate.Spell to power erudite.

You can even use tashalatora for kung fu.

illyahr
2015-07-28, 01:31 PM
Spell to power erudite.

You can even use tashalatora for kung fu.

I think that's more a power of the Sharingan than Rinnegan. Granted, Sharingan is a sub-branch, but anyone with a Sharingan is shown to possess this ability.

DMVerdandi
2015-08-05, 07:48 PM
I do like Illyahr's ideas, but lets see if we can do it with spells.
If anything, making the Rin'negan graft would just allow use of SLA's anyway. So...

Rin'negan Spells

Deva Realm
Telekinesis
Reverse Gravity
Forcewave
Repelling shield
Repulsion
Telekinesis
Farhand

Animal Realm

Summon Monster 1-7
Gate
Regroup

Human Realm

Whelm
Overwhelm
Mindburn
Probe Thoughts
Withering Palm

Hungry Ghost Realm

Absorbtion
Antimagic Field
Break enchantments
Dispelling Touch
Energy Absorbtion
Dispel Magic (+Greater)
Freedom
Mystic Shield
Protection from Spells
Superior Resistance
Mordenkainen's Disjunction
Magic Convalescence
Astral Hospice

Asura Realm

Body of war
Fist of stone
Girallon's Blessing
Greater Mighty Whallop
Magic Missile
Chain Missile
Force Missiles
Bigby's Striking fist
Disintegrate

Hell Realm

Last Judgement
Blood of the Martyr
Revivify
Regenerate
Revive Undead

Outer Realm
Share Talents
Binding Chain of Fate
Animate Dread Warrior
Status[+Greater/ Researched]
Tactical Precision[Researched]
Rary's Interplanar Telepathic Bond
Linked Perception
Undead Lieutenant
Dragoneye Rune

The Way to create the six paths is to create 6 dread warriors, Permanently create a telepathic bond with them, also have dragon eye rune cast on them.
Undead Lieutenant is to be cast on the tendou realm path of pain.
Linked perception, tactical precision and share talents is to be cast through status from the Main caster (Gedou).

Each of the six paths would be a spell caster (unearthed arcana)

I think the thread is trying to stick to 3.5.

@DMVerdandi: I don't think I agree with the Human Paragon levels. He wasn't really all that strong until Madara got his hands on him. The only reason he's was still alive was because he was using a life-support system designed by Madara (the white zetsu part of his body).

I get the War Weaver levels, that makes sense. I like where you're going with this. :smallsmile:
That is not the Paragon template[Which is RIDICULOUSLY STRONG...]

The human paragon racial class is in the srd. It is a 3 level class, gives 10 skills as class skills, one martial weapon proficiency, a bonus feat, and +2 to any ability. It's super balanced.

On why Obito would have the Human Paragon class? Kekkei Genkai. He is a natural genius, just as everyone else in the Uchiha clan is, so it makes sense that they represent the best of humanity (as they are being kekkei genkai wielders.)

https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1388369056ra/7812313.gif

You COULD do that, but if you are going that far, you might as well just home-brew some stuff.

It could be easier to simply make templates out of the Uchiha Bloodline.

Personally, I would make a template that gives sorcerer casting and slots equal to character HD.
The spell list would be the spells I listed.

The template would also give versatile spell caster, Rapid Metamagic,And Ocular Spell for free.
Spells cast off the Sharingan list are automatically modified with still spell, silent spell, and eschew materials without changing the spell level or time.

To duplicate the ability to learn any taijutsu, the template would give the Heroics spell at will as a spell like ability.

It would also give the ability to spontaneously cast any spell it identifies with a spell craft check, or deciphers from a magical item or spellbook. Any spell cast spontaneously can be fueled with either the sharingan spell slots, or spell slots gained from another class.

Mangekyou would make it so that you can cast metamagic for without changing level or time, but each casting would give a spot penalty equal to the level that the spell would be modified by, and cause an equal amount of non-lethal damage .
It would also give these metamagic feats for free (Usable only with spells from the sharingan list)
Mangekyou Metamagic
Heighten spell
Fiery spell
Enervate spell
Blistering spell
Corrupt spell
Empower spell
Maximize spell
Enlarge spell
Extend spell
Fortify spell
Guided spell
Heighten spell
Persistent spell
quicken spell
Rapid spell
Sculpting spell
Transdimensional spell
Umbral spell

Eternal Mangekyou and Rin'negan instead of requiring their canon pre-requisites would simply come automatically at specific levels.
Eternal mangekyou would take away the spot penalty (But would still keep the non-lethal damage)

Rin'negan would switch the spell list from the sharingan list to the rin'negan list, and then at 20 hd, would allow you to cast from both of the lists at the same time.

illyahr
2015-08-06, 10:52 AM
I understand about the human paragon levels, but I just don't think Obito qualified. He wasn't a genius fighter like Kakashi was, he was actually kind of a crybaby. He may have had potential, but he was never able to tap into it fully like Naruto was. In fact, he was pretty much a one-trick pony. All he did was his phasing ability, his teleportation, and some fire jutsu. The only reason he held up in a fight was because he couldn't be hit without serious planning.

As for the Rinne abilities, it's simpler to use DSA's, fluffed a little.

Deva - Divine Shield
Animal - Call Creature
Human - Hand of Death, Power of Truth or Know Secret
Hungry Ghost - Sunder and Disjoin
Asura - Irresistable Blows, Divine Blast
Hell - Gift of Life
Outer - Mass Life and Death, Posess Mortal, Avatar, each of the other Path's abilities

Anyway, I agree that the Kekkei Genkais would need templates based off of what they do. The Sharingan is fueled by hatred and despair. The negative emotions build up in the brain as chakra and channel themselves along the optic nerve. That's why the Uchiha's eyes change. Each Mangekyou Sharingan functions differently so you really can't make a list of their abilities. Each Mangekyou, besides the enhanced vision, only provides a couple effects based off of what the user is good at.

For example, only Itachi and Sasuke could use Amaterasu. No one else was stated to be able to use it, and Itachi couldn't even control it like Sasuke could. Both of them could use Tsukuyomi, but it is explicitly stated that Sasuke didn't have much skill with it. Shisui had the Mangekyou, but he couldn't use either and instead used an extremely powerful ocular genjutsu that put Itachi's to shame. Madara didn't display either the Amaterasu or the Tsukuyomi, but could still use the Susano'o with more power than Itachi or Sasuke could.

MatrixStone93
2015-08-06, 11:17 AM
I'm actually tempted to play an Obito in a campaign now. And I never even liked Obito!

(I prefer Shikamaru, Hinata, and Gaara. Would asking how to make them playable derail the thread? Or is this becoming theNaruto Characters in Dnd thread? )

icefractal
2015-08-06, 03:46 PM
IIRC, there was a thread a while back, on the WotC board but maybe other places as well, where people were building the Naruto characters using Psionics.

DMVerdandi
2015-08-07, 12:14 AM
I understand about the human paragon levels, but I just don't think Obito qualified. He wasn't a genius fighter like Kakashi was, he was actually kind of a crybaby. He may have had potential, but he was never able to tap into it fully like Naruto was. In fact, he was pretty much a one-trick pony. All he did was his phasing ability, his teleportation, and some fire jutsu. The only reason he held up in a fight was because he couldn't be hit without serious planning.

It's less about your abilities, and more about your bloodline. Kekkei Genkai users are the paragon of humanity.
They are simply the best by nature, and even with all of their character flaws, they are still better because they have that quadratic quality of being able to do everything that normal people can and more.

As for the Rinne abilities, it's simpler to use DSA's, fluffed a little.

Deva - Divine Shield
Animal - Call Creature
Human - Hand of Death, Power of Truth or Know Secret
Hungry Ghost - Sunder and Disjoin
Asura - Irresistable Blows, Divine Blast
Hell - Gift of Life
Outer - Mass Life and Death, Posess Mortal, Avatar, each of the other Path's abilities
Granted, but it's just easier to do it with spells.

Anyway, I agree that the Kekkei Genkais would need templates based off of what they do. The Sharingan is fueled by hatred and despair. The negative emotions build up in the brain as chakra and channel themselves along the optic nerve. That's why the Uchiha's eyes change. Each Mangekyou Sharingan functions differently so you really can't make a list of their abilities. Each Mangekyou, besides the enhanced vision, only provides a couple effects based off of what the user is good at.
They all function the same as a doujutsu.
The douryouku they have are different.
[That is to say, they all get the same slots, but different spells]

For example, only Itachi and Sasuke could use Amaterasu. No one else was stated to be able to use it, and Itachi couldn't even control it like Sasuke could. Both of them could use Tsukuyomi, but it is explicitly stated that Sasuke didn't have much skill with it. Shisui had the Mangekyou, but he couldn't use either and instead used an extremely powerful ocular genjutsu that put Itachi's to shame. Madara didn't display either the Amaterasu or the Tsukuyomi, but could still use the Susano'o with more power than Itachi or Sasuke could.
Yet everyone was capable of using susano'o? Not exactly buying it.
Here is my take on it. The Mangekyou was actually able to learn all mangekyou jutsu, but you have to put in effort.(Remember, before sasuke used Susano'o, he was theory crafting/Experimenting on the way to the cage summit)

-Sasuke Never Used Tsukuyomi. Why?[Well technically he did after gaining the Rin'ne sharingan]

-Itachi never used Enton, but why? He simply didn't know that he could.

-Obito only used kamui. Does that mean that was all his eyes were capable of? No. Because Kakashi used Susano'o with HIS eyes.

-Shisui used Kotoamatsukami, and Susano'o

The worse offender was Madara who only ever used Izanagi[once] and Susano'o.
And when he had a full Rin'negan, hardly used any of the paths.

My assumption is not that each one only has a few jutsu, BUT that there is no set guide to how the douryouku are used, thus each time an uchiha wants to learn how to use their powers they essentially have to re-invent the wheel.

The TRUE power of the Mangekyou is not the douryouku themselves. That is the expression of the power.
The true power of the Mangekyou is the ability to:

A. Mix Yin Element into Ninjutsu.

Yin+Yang = Susano'o.
Yin+Katon= Enton/Amaterasu
Yin+Space/time=Kamui
Yin+Space/time=Tsukuyomi
Yin˛=Genjutsu:Sharingan[Mangekyou]

B.Mold Ninjutsu without the use of hand seals.

Yin element is the quality of ideas (In the platonic sense). If Katon is the change of chakra into fire, Enton is the change of chakra into the IDEA of fire. That is why Amaterasu cannot be extinguished by normal means. Because it is imaginary hellfire. Yin is capturing and controlling the conceptual space of a thing and transforming it.

Tsukuyomi is not just a really strong genjutsu, it teleports the mind of the victim into a completely different space, where the caster is in complete control of all laws and boundaries. That is why time doesn't matter. Because the mind isn't even on the same plane of existence anymore. It's actually "there".
It's astral projection+teleportation.
In 3.5 the closest thing you could do to replicate it is forcing someone into a genesis that has qualities of the astral realm.

As for the second thing, as we all know, the sharingan's main powers are insight, analysis, and hypnosis. It has the ability to use genjutsu without hand seals. But the mangekyou is the only thing capable of producing Ninjutsu without hand seals. They don't re-create normal ninjutsu (Which isn't to say it's impossible, Kishi Just didn't do it), but every non-genjutsu was ninjutsu by definition.

So, in creating something similar to the mangekyou, having an arbitrary rule against similar powers would be false, as the real power of the mangekyou was not what each individual received, but the greater ability to use and add yin element to create new ninjutsu, as well as not needing hand seals to cast such ninjutsu.

As for Rin'negan, It just added all elements to what could be used, rather than simply giving yin.

MatrixStone93
2015-08-07, 05:03 PM
IIRC, there was a thread a while back, on the WotC board but maybe other places as well, where people were building the Naruto characters using Psionics.

Is there a way to make these using non-psionics? They're one of the few occasionally-banned things at our table.

DMVerdandi
2015-08-09, 04:59 PM
Is there a way to make these using non-psionics? They're one of the few occasionally-banned things at our table.

What do you want? Just a standard Village Shinobi?
I would say if you were to make them something like a guild, standard builds would be like this.

Seibu(Regular Military)

Taijutsu Specialist
Battle Sorcerer 5/Eldritch Knight 5/Abjurant Champion 10

Ninjutsu Specialist
Martial Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10/War Weaver 5

Genjutsu Specialist
Beguiler 5/Incantatrix 10/Shadowcraft Mage 5

AnBu(Special operations and tactics)
Martial wizard 5/Factotum 1/Incantatrix 10/Shadow adept 4

Bad Wolf
2015-08-09, 05:45 PM
I'm actually tempted to play an Obito in a campaign now. And I never even liked Obito!

(I prefer Shikamaru, Hinata, and Gaara. Would asking how to make them playable derail the thread? Or is this becoming theNaruto Characters in Dnd thread? )

Hmm....

For gaara, something like Sorcerer 5/Sandshaper 10/Sorcerer 5, gaining the benefits of Dust Magic with the container he carries on his back.

Shikamaru would probably have levels in Shadowcaster, don't know about the exact build.

As for Hinata....there's probably something in Tome of Battle. Maybe Swordsage or something.