PDA

View Full Version : How much damage can you do in a turn

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2015-07-27, 04:49 PM
So I would like to know what the max amount of damage each class can do in a turn (preferably the wizard, fighter, and monk) assuming max level.

Feel free to post any other classes max damage output in a single round.

I would prefer multi-classing be left out for the three I listed, but after those are answered go ham.

rhouck
2015-07-27, 04:59 PM
Several threads on this already FYI, including:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423958-Do-the-most-damage-possible&highlight=damage
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?410961-Max-damage-in-single-turn&highlight=damage

You should also clarify whether it is single target or includes AoE total damage (e.g., Wizard wins with Meteor Swarm).

Silvercrys
2015-07-27, 07:47 PM
Assuming no crits and all attacks hit/all saves fail for the following maths:

For Wizards:

9th level Meteor Swarm
40d6 per target
= 40 min, 140 avg, 240 max per target
plus 5 more damage to a single target from Evocation Wizard

A cursory glance through the book doesn't show a spell with higher damage, but I may be wrong, and didn't check the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. This is the most damage I could find for both single-target and area spells.

For Fighter:

Battle Master, Great Weapon Master, Two Handed style, Polearm Master (wielding a +3 Pike, Halberd, or Glaive), Martial Adept (gives 7 superiority die total)
7 attacks at 1d10 + 1d12 + 18, 1 attack at 1d10 + 18 and 1 attack at 1d4 + 18
= 178 min, ~261 avg, 330 max

For Monk:

Way of the Four Elements (Fangs of the Fire Snake)
4 attacks at 1d10 + 1d10 + 5
= 28 min, 64 avg, 100 max if all attacks hit

Of course, you can attempt to reduce any target to exactly 0 hit points with the Open Hand Monk's Quivering Palm, but I excluded that on the basis that it requires two turns; one to hit them with an unarmed strike and another to force the save (DC 19 Constitution at 20 Wisdom).

As for multiclass novas, generally speaking it seems to be Half-Orc Paladin 15/Rogue 3/Fighter 2:

Two-Handed Style, Great Weapon Master, +3 Great Axe, Surprise, Action Surge
5 attacks at 3d12+10d8+18 (1d12+1d12 Crit+1d12 Half-Orc, attack as a bonus action from GWM)
= 155 min, ~441 avg, 670 max

Should keep in mind their resource use, too, before someone goes swinging the nerf bat everywhere.

Wizard: Used their only 9th level spell slot today on this instead of, say, Wish, but still has their other slots.

Fighter: Has used all of their maneuver dice on damage, and has nothing cool to do until their next Short Rest.

Monk: Has used 5 Ki (4 Fangs of the Fire Snake, 1 Flurry of Blows). They can do this for the next four turns if they need to.

Half-Orc Great Axe Paladin/Rogue/Fighter: Has used all of their 3rd and 4th level spell slots today AND had to arrange an ambush to create a surprise round.

Also remember that some attacks will miss - especially since I've included GWM bonus damage but not factored in the miss chance (and Meteor Swarm allows a DEX save, DC 19)

The Fighter and Monk can get a pretty significant damage increase during surprise rounds just from dipping Rogue (Assassin) 3, if you want a simple multiclass build. Monk can significantly benefit from a Fighter (Battlemaster) 3 dip, as well, if you're only optimizing Nova damage.

Of course, trying to squeeze more than that in the build leads to some pretty weird places.... I'm kicking around a Monk/Rogue/Sorcerer/Warlock/Paladin/Fighter right now. :smalltongue:

Not as much nova damage as the Half-Orc Paladin/Rogue/Fighter though.

Fighting_Ferret
2015-07-27, 07:52 PM
Beaten to the punch...

This all assumes, no magic equipment, no multi-classing, no pre buffing (only what the class can do per round), no crits (except for rogue), a +5 in the attack ability, and maximum damage and no misses.

Fighter: A level 20 Battle Master with no feats, wielding a greatsword can do:
4 attacks: 4*17 (2d6+5 per attack) = 68
4 superiority dice (4d12) = 48
Action surge (free action 1/long rest)
4 attacks: 4*17 (2d6+5 per attack) = 68
2 superiority dice (2d12) = 24

For a total of 208 damage

Adding 2 feats Great Weapon Master and Martial Adept you could add an additional:
+10 per attack = 80
1 superiority die (1d12) =12

For a total of 300 damage

Rogue: A level 20 Assassin, who attacks from stealth and gets to attack before the target moves with a heavy crossbow
1 attack: 1*10 +5
Sneak Attack damage: 10d6 =60
Assassinate: auto crit damage *2 -> 70*2 -> 140+5 = 145
Death Strike(Con save failed assumed): 145*2 = 290

For a total of 290 damage

Paladin: A level 20 Paladin (oath doesn't matter) wielding a great sword with the great weapon master feat
2 attacks: 2*17 = 34
Great Weapon Master = 20
2 divine smites (level 4) = 10*8 = 80
Improved divine smite = 2*8 =16
Bonus Action: Banishing Smite (5d10) = 50

For a total of 200 damage

Sorcerer/Wizard: A level 20 sorcerer/wizard can cast Meteor Storm for a possible 240 damage.

As nice as damage is, they can do any other number of things that aren't direct damage, which effectively ends a fight.

Monk: A level 20 Monk, Way of the Four Elements can only do about 100 max damage in a turn.

Silvercrys
2015-07-27, 08:02 PM
Only by a couple minutes! plus, I didn't do Paladin, Rogue, or Sorcerer.

I also used +5 weapons, but you can always multiply 5 by the number of attacks, then subtract from my numbers to get non-magic weapon numbers if those are what you're after.

Or, if the OP wants them, I can edit them into my post. Would only take a couple minutes.

Flashy
2015-07-27, 08:21 PM
Not sure if we're counting AoE here but a tempest cleric 2/evoker wizard 18 can deal 85 lightning damage to seven targets, or 595 total lightning damage in a single round (assuming all targets fail saves).

(Upcast chain lightning through a 9th level slot for seven targets. The spell deals 10d8 lightning damage plus the evoker's modifier (presumably a +5) for 10d8+5. Choose to inflict maximum damage with the tempest cleric's channel divinity.)

It's not the biggest burst in the universe but it's profoundly reliable, and still a significant amount of damage.

JNAProductions
2015-07-27, 08:39 PM
Only by a couple minutes! plus, I didn't do Paladin, Rogue, or Sorcerer.

I also used +5 weapons, but you can always multiply 5 by the number of attacks, then subtract from my numbers to get non-magic weapon numbers if those are what you're after.

Or, if the OP wants them, I can edit them into my post. Would only take a couple minutes.

+5 Weapons don't exist in 5E.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-27, 09:03 PM
For melee types, we can tack on 20d6 (70 average), by starting the round grappling the opponent and being 200 feet in the air, and dropping him out of the after finishing the attack routine. This can most easily be accomplished by being an Aarakocra, but other methods exist.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2015-07-27, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys, no need to edit I was just looking for a curve.

Though I must say the results shocked me, I was expecting wizard shenanigans to cap out damage, but the fighter apparently has 1 round of epic.

Silvercrys
2015-07-27, 11:57 PM
+5 Weapons don't exist in 5E.

Whoops. That's what happens when you get in a hurry and don't double check.

Edited my earlier post for +3 weapons instead.

Thanks guys, no need to edit I was just looking for a curve.

Though I must say the results shocked me, I was expecting wizard shenanigans to cap out damage, but the fighter apparently has 1 round of epic.
Yeah, Wizard 18/Fighter 2 can actually cast their 9th and 8th level spell in the same turn (Meteor Swarm and, say, 8th level Disintegrate). But most of the crazy Mailman Wizard stuff went out with the loss of Metamagic (it's a Sorcerer thing now).

ImSAMazing
2015-07-28, 06:32 AM
Wizard with lvl 9 cast Create Undead:

3 Wights, all equipped with Belt of Clous Giant Strength (29 strength) and +3 longswords. Together, those deal an average of 99 damage.(1d8+12*6 each with +14 to hit).

Those Wights each have 12 zombies equipped with the same as the Wights except +3 scimitars. Those deal together an average of 558 damage (1d6+12*36 each with +14 to hit).

In total that is 657 damage per round on average! Since you command everyone I'd say you deal this damage at least indirectly.

Slipperychicken
2015-07-28, 06:55 AM
Wizard with lvl 9 cast Create Undead:

3 Wights, all equipped with Belt of Clous Giant Strength (29 strength) and +3 longswords. Together, those deal an average of 99 damage.(1d8+12*6 each with +14 to hit).

Those Wights each have 12 zombies equipped with the same as the Wights except +3 scimitars. Those deal together an average of 558 damage (1d6+12*36 each with +14 to hit).

In total that is 657 damage per round on average! Since you command everyone I'd say you deal this damage at least indirectly.

I mean, if you have 39 legendary magic items and 39 very rare ones, I guess you had better be doing some pretty good damage.

Though at that point, you might as well drop 78 necklaces of fireballs and detonate them all at once for an average of 14,196 damage. [(1d6+3) * 8d6 ] *78 = 14,196.

Morcleon
2015-07-29, 12:59 AM
With preparation beforehand, a wizard can deal a nigh infinite amount of damage via chaining simulacrums until you have enough damage via cantrips to instakill whatever it is you're attacking.

Malifice
2015-07-29, 01:31 AM
Sorcerer: A level 20 sorcerer can cast Meteor Storm for a possible 240 damage and spend 2 sorcery points to cast a number of other spells for a easily another 80 damage (level 8 lightning bolt).

Can only cast a cantrip as a bonus action with quicken spell when using your action to cast a real spell.

Silvercrys
2015-07-29, 02:27 AM
Can only cast a cantrip as a bonus action with quicken spell when using your action to cast a real spell.

As I recall, the rule says something like: If you cast a spell with a casting time of a bonus action, you can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

The problem is, you don't have to decide to cast a bonus action spell until after you use your regular action (possibly casting a spell) and the prohibition doesn't take effect until you actually cast the bonus action spell.

That does make your turn invalid after the fact if you cast a non-catnip spell, then another with Quicken, but what happens when you take actions that are technically valid and then they become invalid after? Rewind the turn? Prohibit the bonus action spell even though that isn't part of the rules?

It's almost like they expect you to declare all actions before resolving them (Shield Master shove, this thing) but never wrote that down anywhere.

Not trying to start anything (I'm sure this has been hashed out many times), just presenting an alternate opinion.

ghost_warlock
2015-07-29, 09:01 AM

As I recall, the rule says something like: If you cast a spell with a casting time of a bonus action, you can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

The problem is, you don't have to decide to cast a bonus action spell until after you use your regular action (possibly casting a spell) and the prohibition doesn't take effect until you actually cast the bonus action spell.

That does make your turn invalid after the fact if you cast a non-catnip spell, then another with Quicken, but what happens when you take actions that are technically valid and then they become invalid after? Rewind the turn? Prohibit the bonus action spell even though that isn't part of the rules?

It's almost like they expect you to declare all actions before resolving them (Shield Master shove, this thing) but never wrote that down anywhere.

Not trying to start anything (I'm sure this has been hashed out many times), just presenting an alternate opinion.

The actual rule is "You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."

If we're going to get all rules lawyery, it says "can't cast another spell." It doesn't say anything about casting the same spell a second time. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Malifice
2015-07-29, 09:54 AM
The actual rule is "You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."

If we're going to get all rules lawyery, it says "can't cast another spell." It doesn't say anything about casting the same spell a second time. :smallwink::smalltongue:

That's still another spell ;)

Naanomi
2015-07-29, 10:36 AM
Not 'the best' but I played in a game a warlock/sorcerer/fighter/assassin.
From hiding; subtle spell Hex on the target; then surprise attack next round...
Eldritch Blast, 4 rays each doing 2d10+2d6+5 from surprise critical
Quicken spell for 4 more Rays
Action surge for 4 more Rays

All together 24d10+24d6+60; averaging 276, capping out at 384... At some impressive range and pushing the target 120 feet away as well (off a tower perhaps?)

Fighting_Ferret
2015-07-29, 12:50 PM
I have fixed my original post for sorcerer, as this isn't a thread about gaming the rules. That being said, how would a character justify sorcerer, warlock, fighter, rogue(assassin) multiclass?

The Shadowdove
2015-07-29, 01:23 PM
Wish spell a meteor into the planet and destroy it.

Naanomi
2015-07-29, 01:42 PM
I have fixed my original post for sorcerer, as this isn't a thread about gaming the rules. That being said, how would a character justify sorcerer, warlock, fighter, rogue(assassin) multiclass?
It isn't hard if you don't think of classes as distinct entities; but rather points of development on a larger characterization over a lifetime.

she was a member of a sorcerer family that acted as leaders of a raiding clan. Being a woman and being physically weak, she turned to pact magic to 'increase her power' but it was never enough for her family. Later, when she left her clan to pursue more heroic adventuring she tried to turn her back on magic (picking up fighter and rogue levels) but could never really stop her magic from developing (from demonic 'gifts') which eventually she re-embraced her natural casting with a focus on using it positively

Sorcerer 1/warlock 2/sorcerer +2/fighter 1/rogue3/fighter +1/Warlock +3/sorcerer +7

KorvinStarmast
2015-07-29, 01:45 PM
Though at that point, you might as well drop 78 necklaces of fireballs and detonate them all at once for an average of 14,196 damage. [(1d6+3) * 8d6 ] *78 = 14,196. I heartily endorse this message. I'll bring the barbq sauce. :smallbiggrin:

As for this damage idea ...
Wish spell a meteor into the planet and destroy it
What, and spill all the beer? No soup for you, and no BBQ! :smallfurious:!

Citan
2015-07-30, 12:03 PM
Nothing to say about single-class damage, everyone did it.

For multiclass best damage, if you except AOE damage, I tend to consider that a consistant high damage method is upping the number of attacks with a buffed weapon and smiting.

Paladin Devotion 3 + Battlemaster 11 + Bard 6, STR+CHA, Two-handed Glaive, GWM and Polearm Master feats.
Sacred Weapon to offset GWM malus to hit, Battlemaster 11 to get 3 attacks, Action Surge and Manoeuvers extra damage, Bard 6 to get some goodies (but any spellcaster is ok).
You get spellcaster lvl 7 which is very few.
Total nova is 7 attacks (3+3+1) for 1d10+10+5 each except the last which has 1d4 instead.
Add to this 1d10*5 for Manoeuvers.
Cast Divine Favor to add 1d4 to each hit.
Smiting is very feeble though with 1lvl4, 3lvl3 and 3lvl2
Total theoric max damage:
(1d4+6d10+70+35)(base)+(7d4)(divine favor)+(5d10)(manoeuvers)+(26d8)(smite)
= 115+12d10+7d4+26d8
Minimum: 160.
Max: 115+120+28+208= 471.

You can also go Eldricht Knight instead of Battlemaster to up your spellcaster lvl a bit.

Sorcerer Draconic 6 / Paladin Oathbreaker 11 / Eldritch knight 3
Draconic sorcerer up to 6 if only you consider that Elemental Affinity can apply to "Elemental Weapon" spell too.
Eldricht Knight here for Action Surge and Absorb Elements.
Paladin for everything else.
Spellcaster lvl = 12
Still Polearm+GWM combo.

This require one turn preparation. Choose an element (obviously the one you chose as Draconic Ancestry if enemy is not immune).
First cast Elemental Weapon as lvl 5 spell for +2d4 and +2 damage. Then Quicken cast a cantrip of the element on yourself. As a reaction, cast Absorb Elements with your lvl 6 slot.

Your nova will consist of 2+2+1 attacks benefitting from lvl7 Aura (+CHA), lvl9 Elemental Weapon (here cast as lvl5 for 2d4) and lvl11 Divine Smite from Paladin (1d8).
If hit, not accounting smite, damage will be (1d10+10+5+5+2d4+1d8)*4 + (1d4+10+5+5+2d4+1d8).
You can add 6d8 from Absorb Elements to that.
You can add smites on each hit, so 3lvl4 and 2lvl3 for (5d8*3)+(4d8*2) total.
Total damage = 1d4 + 4d10 + 100 + 10d4 + 5d8 + 6d8 + 23d8
= 11d4 + 34d8 + 4d10 + 100.
Min: 149. Max: 456.
If you consider Elemental Affinity to be working, you can add another +CHA on each hit for potential +25 to damage, putting min to 174 and max to 481.
Good thing of this build is that you're not totally useless after this, you still have some decent per turn damage and some spell slots (you're similar to a normal Paladin in that aspect).

Otherwise, much simpler build is Eldricht Knight 11 / Oathbreaker Paladin 9: you still get Absorb Elements and Elemental Weapon, 3/4 attacks every turn depending on your weapon build, and some spell slots for passable smiting or utilities (lvl7 spellcaster). Bad in nova but decent in standard turn.

Many other combinations exist for the sake of nova turn but would be based on clunky builds, very poor in day-to-day fights. :)
Also, didn't take on all spellcaster-based nova because not too familiar with it, but there are certainly some (if only, Contagion to get vulnerability to all damage).

Millface
2015-07-30, 12:47 PM
1 bludgeoning + 1 at best. I'm not really proficient in unarmed and I don't have a sword handy.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-31, 04:56 AM
I mean, if you have 39 legendary magic items and 39 very rare ones, I guess you had better be doing some pretty good damage.

Though at that point, you might as well drop 78 necklaces of fireballs and detonate them all at once for an average of 14,196 damage. [(1d6+3) * 8d6 ] *78 = 14,196.

Best point ever, and you can if you have the money just hire 10,000 elf commoners for 35,000 damage/round.

Malifice
2015-07-31, 06:57 AM
Not 'the best' but I played in a game a warlock/sorcerer/fighter/assassin.
From hiding; subtle spell Hex on the target; then surprise attack next round...
Eldritch Blast, 4 rays each doing 2d10+2d6+5 from surprise critical
Quicken spell for 4 more Rays
Action surge for 4 more Rays

All together 24d10+24d6+60; averaging 276, capping out at 384... At some impressive range and pushing the target 120 feet away as well (off a tower perhaps?)

Not bad, but you have to be at least 17th level. You can do a ton more with melee attacks and Paladin/ Assasin/ Fighter.

He's a dark warrior with dragons blood, who prefers to strike from the shadows and makes pacts with devils for even greater power?

How does that sound like something one wouldnt find in a fantasy genre?

N810
2015-07-31, 09:12 AM
If I get super lucky my half-ork Berserker barbarian gets all crits and rolls all 12's
with my +1 (extra crit) great ax...

he does ... 240 damage. :redcloak:

Mind you my average without crits is only 42. :smalltongue: