PDA

View Full Version : The Magical Manifestation of Sound

Pinkcrusade
2015-07-27, 05:54 PM
Greetings, Playground.

I am playing a new character soon and I envisioned him being a music enthusiast, hosting parties and providing others with lovely sounds.

The issue with this is the difficulty of obtaining a large-scale band and organizing them to play music. I was reading Ghost Sound, and though that states it is capable of producing sound equivalent equal to humans (or some other reference point) of a certain quantity, though there was some discrepancy between multiple people who said that either it could form harmony, and others stating not.

If Ghost Sound is incapable of accomplishing this feat, what alternatives do I have?

Thanks.

Telonius
2015-07-27, 10:09 PM
Assuming the idea is to actually make everybody around you better at playing? If you're playing a Bard, you can Inspire Competence in Perform checks as a use of Bardic Music (if you're high enough level).

If you just want to make ethereal music, Major Image (and most other Illusion (Figment) spells of higher level) will allow you to create illusions with a sound component.

I've had one DM who allowed the "Summon Instrument" spell to be modified to summon a group of backup singers (who provided a +2 on Perform (Song) checks as though they were a MW instrument).

Geddy2112
2015-07-27, 10:33 PM
If you are at maximum level for ghost sound, you have the volume of 40 humans doing whatever. The nature of the sound is basically anything you want(including singing), and even at first level with 4 humans you could get a barbershop quartet of singing. I would also say that you could have the sound produced by a human playing an instrument, even if it was 2 or 3 humans=1 human playing an instrument.

One thing ghost sound cannot produce is intelligible speech. It can sound like speech, but it cannot be understood. If you are just going for choral harmonies I see no reason it would not work, otherwise you would need ventriloquism for lyrics in a song.

I see no problem with ghost sound creating harmonies. Although your higher level illusion spells will allow you more oomph.

Mr Adventurer
2015-07-28, 02:33 AM
Programmed Image, though high level, seems like it would be just the ticket.

Inevitability
2015-07-28, 04:12 AM
The cantrip Percussion (Song and Silence) fills an area with the sounds of drums, bells, and other such instruments, and allows you to set their tempo and rhythm. Maybe your DM would let you research/find such a spell for other instruments?