PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed Scrying and how it works...

Torroc
2015-07-27, 06:35 PM
Ok... I know there are many Spells and abilities, that can be used to Scry, But im looking for items Similar to that of the Crystal ball, I have seen Topics inside of Dragon mag, and even older... white dwarf mags... but can not longer find them.

What kind of ruling comes down to useing other items as a scrying tool, and how would this work?

Lurkmoar
2015-07-28, 01:46 AM
The 2e DMG lists water basins and mirrors as(possible) alternate scrying devices for clerics or druids that function like crystal balls for wizards. Was that what you were looking for?

Torroc
2015-07-28, 03:31 PM
Kinda, What im looking at trying to do is, i have two players in my game. IE im the Dm, one of the other party members was asking about ways to locate his char's famly ingame useing the scrying ability of eather the cleric or the wizard in the group. SO im just woundering if water pools, gems, mirrors, Ect work like how the crystal ball states or do they use a Different rule set. Im alittle new to scrying with is why im looking in to it alittle with little to show for it.

thirdkingdom
2015-07-30, 10:15 AM
Er, I think this is kind of the thing where you can eyeball some stuff and make your own judgement. Use existing magical items as a guideline.

Digitalelf
2015-07-30, 05:53 PM
Ok... I know there are many Spells and abilities, that can be used to Scry, But im looking for items Similar to that of the Crystal ball, I have seen Topics inside of Dragon mag, and even older... white dwarf mags... but can not longer find them.

What kind of ruling comes down to useing other items as a scrying tool, and how would this work?

Issue #147 of Dragon Magazine has the information you are looking for. The article is entitled "Gaze Into My Crystal Ball", but don't let the title fool you, it is (as the article is described): "A close look at magical scrying devices and spells".

There is another article in Dragon Magazine (issue #319) titled "I Scry", but it is for 3rd edition, and all I know is that it is about magical items that deal with scrying. Whether its about new magical items, or talks about new uses for old magical items, I simply do not know.