PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Firearm ranger

Shadowscale
2015-07-28, 12:46 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any optimization ideas, builds or advice for a ranger who specializes in firearms for their combat style? I tend to go with shared favorite enemy instead of an animal companion, anything else is free to customize though.

grarrrg
2015-07-28, 01:43 AM
Well, you have a variety of options to consider.

Option 1: Trophy Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trophy-hunter) Ranger archetype.
Bad: Combat Style Feats, Hunter's Bond.
Good: Firearm Prof., choice of Gunslinger Deeds/Grit Feats, can target Favored Enemy Touch AC out to 2 Range increments.
The loss of feats hurts some, but gaining access to whatever Gunslinger deeds you want can be pretty solid.

Option 2: Straight Ranger, any option besides Trophy Hunter
Bad: Gotta spend feats on Prof. and whatnot the hard way.
Good: Unlike Trophy Hunter, you still get all your Combat Style feats, which makes up for having to spend your normal feats on 'the basics'.

Option 3: Dip Gunslinger for 1 level
Bad: Delays Ranger stuff for 1 level
Good: Gets you pretty much EVERYTHING you'll ever need right away (full Grit Pool, Quick Clear deed, Proficiency, Gunsmithing feat, free gun).

Option 4: Dip Gunslinger for 3-to-5 levels
Bad: Really delays Ranger stuff
Good: Opens up such possibilities as Musket Master>Reload 2-hand guns for Free Action, gets DEX-to-Damage

Option 5: Ranger with VMC-Gunslinger
Bad: Everything
Good:...?
Trophy Hunter is (almost) strictly better in every single way. But seriously. VMC-Gunslinger is the worst of all the VMC options.

I'm a fan of option 3 personally. Gunslinger is a _REALLY_ front-loaded class, and 1 level gets you the majority of things you'll want.

Shadowscale
2015-07-28, 05:26 AM
Well, you have a variety of options to consider.

Option 1: Trophy Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trophy-hunter) Ranger archetype.
Bad: Combat Style Feats, Hunter's Bond.
Good: Firearm Prof., choice of Gunslinger Deeds/Grit Feats, can target Favored Enemy Touch AC out to 2 Range increments.
The loss of feats hurts some, but gaining access to whatever Gunslinger deeds you want can be pretty solid.

Option 2: Straight Ranger, any option besides Trophy Hunter
Bad: Gotta spend feats on Prof. and whatnot the hard way.
Good: Unlike Trophy Hunter, you still get all your Combat Style feats, which makes up for having to spend your normal feats on 'the basics'.

Option 3: Dip Gunslinger for 1 level
Bad: Delays Ranger stuff for 1 level
Good: Gets you pretty much EVERYTHING you'll ever need right away (full Grit Pool, Quick Clear deed, Proficiency, Gunsmithing feat, free gun).

Option 4: Dip Gunslinger for 3-to-5 levels
Bad: Really delays Ranger stuff
Good: Opens up such possibilities as Musket Master>Reload 2-hand guns for Free Action, gets DEX-to-Damage

Option 5: Ranger with VMC-Gunslinger
Bad: Everything
Good:...?
Trophy Hunter is (almost) strictly better in every single way. But seriously. VMC-Gunslinger is the worst of all the VMC options.

I'm a fan of option 3 personally. Gunslinger is a _REALLY_ front-loaded class, and 1 level gets you the majority of things you'll want.
I had thought of trophy hunter myself, is it strictly better to take a level of gunslinger you'd say?

Psyren
2015-07-28, 08:56 AM
Option 6: Gunslinger 20 + VMC Ranger
Bad: No spells or companion. Only one favored enemy/terrain. No evasion or HiPS.
Good: Full BAB (good); Gain all Deeds automatically (good); bonus feats to pay for VMC (good); +5 nimble (not bad); Free action reload at 11 for 1H firearms with RR+LR (good); Track (situational), Dex to damage with multiple firearm types without archetypes (generally pointless).

Option 7: Gunslinger 20 (Musket Master) + VMC Ranger
Bad: See above.
Good: See above except - Dex+5 to damage with muskets (good), +10ft. to touch AC range increment (good), free action reload at 11 for 2H firearms with RR+LR (good).

Option 8: Gunslinger 5/Hunter 15 + VMC Ranger
Bad: No evasion or HiPS. Move action reload only (bad), though you can get iteratives with the right firearm.
Good: Dex to damage with 1 firearm(good); +16 BAB at 20 (good); better spellcasting than ranger (5ths, orisons); 19/20 companion with Boon Companion (not bad); Instant Enemy for multiple favored enemies (good), Wis to both grit and spellcasting (not bad.)

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-28, 01:46 PM
Option 6: Gunslinger 20 + VMC Ranger
Bad: No spells or companion. Only one favored enemy/terrain. No evasion or HiPS.
Good: Full BAB (good); Gain all Deeds automatically (good); bonus feats to pay for VMC (good); +5 nimble (not bad); Free action reload at 11 for 1H firearms with RR+LR (good); Track (situational), Dex to damage with multiple firearm types without archetypes (generally pointless).

Option 7: Gunslinger 20 (Musket Master) + VMC Ranger
Bad: See above.
Good: See above except - Dex+5 to damage with muskets (good), +10ft. to touch AC range increment (good), free action reload at 11 for 2H firearms with RR+LR (good).

What's this about free action reload at 11? Lightning Reload is 1/round even when it's a free action, but alchemical cartridges let you get free-action reloads from level 1 (or level 3 with Musket Master).

Sayt
2015-07-28, 03:01 PM
Option 8: Trench Fighter 3, Ranger 17. Dex to damage, pick a compatible Combat style.

Does slow Ranger stuff a but under cap, however.

grarrrg
2015-07-28, 10:11 PM
I had thought of trophy hunter myself, is it strictly better to take a level of gunslinger you'd say?

Trophy Hunter isn't bad. But that 1st level of Gunslinger really does get you most everything you'll need. The only real advantage of Straight Trophy Hunter is access to higher level deeds. It's up to you if those are worth the loss of Ranger Bonus Feats.

Shadowscale
2015-07-28, 11:46 PM
Trophy Hunter isn't bad. But that 1st level of Gunslinger really does get you most everything you'll need. The only real advantage of Straight Trophy Hunter is access to higher level deeds. It's up to you if those are worth the loss of Ranger Bonus Feats.

Not sure what secondary fighting style would even be good for a ranger with guns, maybe twf?

grarrrg
2015-07-29, 12:04 AM
Not sure what secondary fighting style would even be good for a ranger with guns, maybe twf?

:smallconfused:?
Why wouldn't you use Archery or Crossbow?
Those are just the _names_ of the combat styles, they are not "must use this weapon" requirements.
The only requirement is no Heavy Armor (which would kill your DEX anyway).

Yeah, you're mostly only getting "basic" feats from Archery/Crossbow anyway, but free feats is free feats (and Shot on the Run without needing Dodge/Mobility is kinda handy).

Unless you meant "when I can't shoot something I do...instead?".
Which shouldn't be a focus, but it should be a consideration.
Dagger Pistol/Musket Axe are the 'quick' options, no need to even switch weapons.
Something Finesse-able wouldn't be too bad, as your DEX is likely higher than your STR anyway.

I've always been semi-fond of 1 level in Monk (unchained?) for Improved Unarmed Strike, and WIS-to-AC, assorted other perks, but that may not be as ideal for a Ranger-centric build.

Psyren
2015-07-29, 01:07 AM
A good alternative to a monk level is a race that gets a natural attack, like a Toothy Half-Orc. That should let you threaten melee even while you shoot.

As far as a finessable melee firearm, Effortless Lace should work with the blade portion of a Dagger Pistol.