PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Limited Gestalt Build Ideas?

Alsc
2015-07-28, 03:59 AM
Apping for my first gestalt game and not entirely sure what build to go for.

It's an Eberron based game, we're starting as cadets in a military training academy so there are some limitations of our first class.

Allowed are: Brawler, Cavalier, Fighter, Monk (Martial Artist only), Ranger (Skirmisher or Trapper only), Rogue, or Slayer.
For the second class, anything from the SRD is game except for: Alchemist, Gunslinger, Investigator, Shaman, or Witch.

For thematic reasons I'm considering an Oracle with the Ancestor mystery, but I'm worried that, since it's a CHA based caster, it'll clash poorly with my other, martial class. Is there a way to pull off Fighter/Oracle(Ancestor) and still be an asset on the battle field? Or should I consider something else entirely? Character is a young noble from an old and venerable house, fwiw.

Never mind, Ancestor doesn't work with Eberron the way I'd like.

Considering Magus now, maybe with Slayer or Fighter? Slayer would give me more skill points which could be nice, but open to a that would help build a character to be a threat on the front line of battle, fitting for a gallant young noble type.

Stat sets are [16 14 14 12 10 8] or [16 16 12 10 10 8] before racial modifiers. The character will be Human so I'll have a +2 to put somewhere.

EDIT: We're probably not going to be multiclassing either.

JDL
2015-07-28, 04:03 AM
Rogue and Wizard synergize well, and you get to add sneak attack to ranged touch spells with later levels by using Greater Invisibility (Acid Splash for 1d3+4d6 damage every round at level 7, for example).

grarrrg
2015-07-28, 10:17 PM
Brawler, Cavalier, Fighter, Monk (Martial Artist only), Ranger (Skirmisher or Trapper only), Rogue, or Slayer.

For the second class, anything from the SRD is game except for:

Alchemist, Gunslinger, Investigator, Shaman, or Witch.

For thematic reasons I'm considering an Oracle with the Ancestor mystery, but I'm worried that, since it's a CHA based caster, it'll clash poorly with my other, martial class.
Stat sets are [16 14 14 12 10 8] or [16 16 12 10 10 8] before racial modifiers.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a Fighter/Oracle multi-class. Desired Stats are functionally identical to a Paladin.
The main issue are your stat arrays, they don't support MAD-ness very well.
Probably best option would be
STR 16
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 14
Feel free to swap around DEX/INT/WIS to taste. Wear Heavy Armor. Get a +CHA item when you need it/can afford it.

Is choice of Ancestor more Flavor or Mechanical? Because Battle or Metal are overall better Mechanically for "smash face".

Rogue and Wizard synergize well, and you get to add sneak attack to ranged touch spells with later levels by using Greater Invisibility (Acid Splash for 1d3+4d6 damage every round at level 7, for example).
I'd argue in favor of Slayer//Wizard instead.
Less Sneak Attack dice, but d10HD, Full Bab, Good Fort Save...seems like an overall better option.

frost890
2015-07-28, 10:26 PM
You can also go for a Ranger/Monk. They are great for subduing the enemy if you are trying to get intel. Go ranged with the ranger since the Monk is basically given TWF in Pathfinder.

grarrrg
2015-07-28, 10:35 PM
You can also go for a Ranger/Monk. They are great for subduing the enemy if you are trying to get intel. Go ranged with the ranger since the Monk is basically given TWF in Pathfinder.

Ranger's have more options than "ranged" or "TWF" in PF.
There are actually 8 different combat styles (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger#TOC-Combat-Style-Feat-Ex-) to choose from. And each of them lets you choose your feats from a list, instead of locking you into specific feats.

Alsc
2015-07-29, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it! Just heard back from my GM, the Ancestor Mystery won't work the way I was thinking in Eberron so I'm looking for any combination really.

Would slayer/wizard be much different from slayer/magus or fighter/magus? More utility and less melee synergy I assume?