PDA

View Full Version : Flashy Sor\Wiz spells level 5 or lower

NevinPL
2015-07-28, 05:19 AM
Awe inspiring, or scaring the poop out of someone.
Preferably both.

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-28, 05:43 AM
Grim revenge from bovd. Arcane fusion that bad boy with fuse arms and sanctum spell for "disarming"

Darrin
2015-07-28, 08:09 AM
Daltim's Fiery Tentacles (Shining South, Sor/Wiz 5). Everything you ever loved about Evard's black tentacles, plus they're ON FIRE.

Necrotic Skull Bomb (Champions of Ruin, Sor/Wiz 5). Best spell name EVAR. Spell effect is a watered-down enervation, but you get to throw explosive skulls at people as a swift-action, which makes up for it.

Firestride Exhalation (Dragon Magic, Sor/Wiz 4). Breath weapon + teleport.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-28, 08:17 AM
Spell Thematics (Spiders)

Inevitability
2015-07-28, 09:21 AM
Daltim's Fiery Tentacles (Shining South, Sor/Wiz 5). Everything you ever loved about Evard's black tentacles, plus they're ON FIRE.

I am intrigued by this concept, and I wish to learn more.

Psyren
2015-07-28, 09:32 AM
Streamers (Shining South) are 5th level and very flashy. They're also ridiculously deadly.

I am intrigued by this concept, and I wish to learn more.

They do 1 fire damage/CL to creatures in the area each round. It's reflex half, but if the tentacles manage to grapple you, you don't get a save.

Troacctid
2015-07-28, 10:36 AM
Blinding Color Spray. All the color strips away from your body and is hurled at an opponent's eyes, leaving you invisible and them blinded.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-07-28, 11:32 AM
Depdning on your definition of 'flashy', I've always been partial to Bone Fiddle (SpC). Even if the effect so-so, the visual is particularly gruesome.

Dondasch
2015-07-28, 12:11 PM
Dalamar's Lightning Lance (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, level 4) let's you play Zeus. It's also probably the most potent blaster spell for single targets (39d6 damage at caster level 15 with no optimization whatever). Of course, it does require ranged touch attack rolls, and allow both SR and a Fort save for half.

Vortex of Teeth (Spell Compendium, level 4) creates a swarm of force piranhas to shred things.

ben-zayb
2015-07-28, 12:33 PM
Most of the spells accessibly via the Mother CystLM feat have some great visuals, and most of them are pretty decent spells too.

Avasculate and Avasculate, MassSpC: as visually creepy as the mother cyst spells, and will also halve your enemies' HP.

Blackwater TentacleSW: A slimier, sleazier, version of Black Tentacles, except it also deals negative level per hit on a failed save and it also makes you feel more like a schoolgirl.

MummifySS: A die-or-suck without the [Death] descriptor, with the visual of flash-drying its target and instantaneously preserves the corpse into a mummy.

Inner BeautyFC1: It's effect is exactly either awe inspiring or scaring the poop out of someone, depending on whether the target is good or evil.

NevinPL
2015-07-31, 05:19 AM
Fuse Arms requires at least four :(

Not quite what I had in mind, but it will work nicely with my "fire mage", and skull bomb with necromancer.

More flash.

This and that other spell that does damage if you move, etc., will be used in the future.

More substance, although good for aw\pwning those commoners.

Not bad, but Boneblast'svisuals are even better, especially when it's a visible bone, like skull. Not to mention the Heroic BSOD when ones knows about the material component, or the former owner of it }:-) .

Don't have Dragonlance.
The second one is nice.

Cyst is gonna be a "parting surprise gift" from a necromancer's lair.
The other two are not level 5, but fit very nicely for what I had in mind.
Tentacles are nice.
Mummify is also to high, but it got me thinking about some improved version that will turn subject into a mummy.
Inner Beauty is nice but Bard, and doesn't work on neutrals, which make the majority of non-PC\DM(N)PC in my DnD.

P.S.
Can you elaborate on that feeling like a schoolgirl ?

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-31, 05:42 AM
My favorite is Avasculate, a seventh-level spell from Libris Mortis and the SC. Your target's blood explodes out of their body, reducing them to half of their current HP and stunning for 1 round. It doesn't actually deal damage, either, so it's very hard to prevent that part of its effect. There's a version of it at 8th level called Avascular Mass that entangles creatures within 20 feet of the target because the spell makes that much of a mess.

You shoot a black ray of necromantic energy from your outstretched hand, causing your foe to violently purge blood vessels through its skin. The purged blood vessels spread outward, creating a many-layered mass of bloody, adhesive tissue that traps nearby creatures in a gory horror.

My blood! He... He punched out all my blood! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prZ0JrbQrU)

Can you elaborate on that feeling like a schoolgirl ?

Schoolgirls and tentacles often show up together in not-work-safe material, often Japanese in origin.

NevinPL
2015-07-31, 06:34 AM
My favorite is Avasculate, a seventh-level spell [...]There's a version of it at 8th level called Avascular Mass that entangles creatures within 20 feet of the target because the spell makes that much of a mess.

Avasculate and Avasculate, MassSpC: as visually creepy as the mother cyst spells, and will also halve your enemies' HP.

The other two are not level 5, but fit very nicely for what I had in mind.

Schoolgirls and tentacles often show up together in not-work-safe material, often Japanese in origin.
Thought it was a cliché hentai reference.

Nifft
2015-07-31, 06:52 AM
Literally flashy: Pyrotechnics, Hypnotic Pattern, and Glitterdust.

Spore
2015-07-31, 07:05 AM
Literally flashy: Pyrotechnics, Hypnotic Pattern, and Glitterdust.

Daylight! I am serious. I always found light descriptor spells in a dark environment the flashiest and most useful. We are creatures of the light and rely on it. And the Daylight spell gives us exactly that. Not only that but it's bright enough to vastly hamper vampires and the like.