PDA

View Full Version : Very quick CR question

brian c
2007-05-03, 07:54 PM
I know that for monsters in the MM, their CR does not include any items that you can let them use; if you say that a monster has significant magic items, then the CR is higher than listed.

So, for opponents who are just humans with class levels, their CR is = level if they have PC classes, but how much equipment is included in this? I'm assuming that it's the same as Wealth-By-Level, but I wanted to ask here to be sure.

melchizedek
2007-05-03, 07:56 PM
There is an NPC Wealth by level table in the DMG. They should match that.

brian c
2007-05-04, 02:10 AM
There is an NPC Wealth by level table in the DMG. They should match that.

Ahh, thank you.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-05-04, 08:58 PM
I know that for monsters in the MM, their CR does not include any items that you can let them use; if you say that a monster has significant magic items, then the CR is higher than listed.

So, for opponents who are just humans with class levels, their CR is = level if they have PC classes, but how much equipment is included in this? I'm assuming that it's the same as Wealth-By-Level, but I wanted to ask here to be sure.

Not true for all monsters in the MM. Monsters like Dragons and other intelligent monsters should normally have usable useful treasure which does not change the CR rating of the encounter. Seriously why would the troll be bashing the party with a stick when he has a magic sword in his treasure?

There should be a reason why the orc leader or other monster wasn't using the useful magic item like the flaming sword. Nothing wrong with the sword being an Evil sword with a Good party which they can sell, purify or destroy. Nothing wrong with the trolls having a flaming sword.

DMG has the guidelines for NPCs and the MM has a Treasure guideline and some monsters have none and others have standard by CR tables or DMG wealth guidelines for NPCs. In general NPCs have more treasure than comparable CR monsters and are generally easier to kill so be careful about letting the party fight NPCs regularly.