PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerer Bloodline - Pyroclastic PEACH

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-28, 10:03 AM
Pyroclastic Bloodline

-Strike as the lightning, be resolute as the mountain, shape the world as your forge.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9OYgArm3mqY/TfKWczbRTCI/AAAAAAAAE8M/eukUpKO1x4M/s1600/chilevolcano02.jpg
The blood of the earth pulses within you. Your appearance changes as your tie to the earth manifests in a dramatic way. The skin along your elbows and brow become rough as bits of obsidian protrude from beneath. Your eyes shine like hot coals as sparks of lightning dance beyond them. Your blood has thickened and shines as lava when spilt and quickly cools and hardens. In states of high emotion your hair almost seems to glow and your scars and injuries shine as molten cracks.

Forged in Fire
The arcane magic you command is infused with the primal blood of the earth. You can speak, read, and write Primordial (in the Ignan or Terran dialects) . In addition, you gain the following spells at the listed sorcerer level. These spells do not count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Sorcerer Level
Bonus Spells

1st Level
Thunderwave, Earth Tremor*

3rd Level
Maximilians Earthen Grasp*, Pyrotechnics*

5th Level
Meld into Stone, Erupting Earth*

7th Level
Elemental Bane*, Stoneshape

9th Level
Conjure Elementals, Transmute Rock*

*Elemental Evil spell

Volcanic Legacy
At 1st level the initial signs of your power surge forth. When calculating your armor class, you may use your Constitution modifier in place of your Dexterity modifier. Your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increase by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class. You know the Mold Earth or Control Flames cantrip. Your base speed increases by 10 feet while you are in contact with the ground.

Living Cataclysm
At 6th level you can strike with the force of an eruption. Whenever you deal damage to a creature for the first time in combat, you deal bonus Fire, Lightning, or Thunder damage equal to your sorcerer level. Additionally you add your Charisma modifier to your initiative rolls.

Walk the High Road
At 6th level you've become adapted to the harsh environments that dwell upon the mountains. You become acclimated to high altitudes, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You’re also adapted to hot climates, as described in chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide. You can ignore the negative effects of smoke and ash filled air and you may extend effect to creatures you select within a 60 foot sphere.

Crack the Earth
At 14th level when you are struck with a melee attack, can used reaction to deal Lightning, Fire, or Thunder damage equal to your sorcerer level to the creature that triggered this effect. The attacker must succeed on a Strength saving throw, DC equal to your sorcerer spell save DC, on a failure the creature is pushed in a straight line 20 feet away from you.

Terraforming
At 14th level you can feel the pulse of the earth as your connection to it deepens. The earth moves for as you would flex a great muscle. You can cause unworked rock, stone, and earth to move to your will. By taking an hour to listen and bond with the earth, you can create simple objects and structures as an action once per hour long meditation. These structures last for a number of hours equal to 1/2 your Sorcerer level before returning to their base shape or crumbling to dust. The objects and structures cannot take up a space larger than a 20 foot cubed volume. By expending sorcery points you can gain tremorsense for 1 minute, this tremorsense has a radius of 10 feet per sorcery point spent

Pyroclastic Flow
You gain a burrow speed of 30 feet, you do not leave a tunnel behind unless you choose to. You may spend a sorcery point at any time to grant yourself and creatures you select within 15 feet resistance to Thunder, Lighting, Fire, or Bludgeoning damage for 1 hour. Reactivating this ability ends the previous effect.
When you damage a creature with a spell that deals Fire, Lightning, Bludgeoning, or Thunder damage you can use your bonus action to force the creature(s) to make a Strength saving throw equal to your Sorcerer spell save DC. On a failed save the creature is pushed 1 foot for every point of damage, away from the source of the effect and is knocked prone. The amount of damage required to push a larger creature is higher. For every size category above medium an additional point of damage per foot. (2:1 large, 3:1 huge, 4:1 gargantuan).

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-28, 10:05 AM
Ok this is the start of a larger project. I wanted to create a subclass that felt in line with 'Red' magic from Magic The Gathering. But found that I could only embody so much of what red covers. I decided to focus on the magic of the Vulshok from Mirroden.

I am a bit leery of how much I packed into the class and am considering dropping some features to bring in the power a tad. I went ahead and modeled some of the abilities after the stormborn sorcerer from the ocean themed material WotC released. The basic things that I liked I kept, and changes were made to make things fit thematically.

The 18th level ability I am reconsidering just allowing the player to reroll dice when dealing a specific damage type that roll max and them taking damage for each reroll.

Pyroclasm
When you roll damage for a spell that deals Lightning, Thunder, Fire, or Bludgeoning damage and you roll the highest number possible on any dice, you may select any number of those dice and roll them again and add that roll to the damage. For each dice that you select, you take 2 necrotic damage that cannot be reduced by resistances or immunities.

weaseldust
2015-07-28, 12:42 PM
You can speak, read, and write Primordial.

I'd make this Terran and Ignan, for flavour reasons.

When you cast a spell other than a cantrip you gain 5 feet per spell level to you land speeds until the start of your next turn, additionally your land based movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.

I understand why you'd want to include a sudden, volcanic surge in speed, but this is a very minor boost that you'll get very often, so I don't think it quite fits the subclass. I also don't think it will exciting for the player to get, except maybe in cases where they're running from something. My suggestion would be that, once per short rest, the sorcerer can dash as a bonus action. (A possibly silly amendment: they can only do it when moving downhill.)

At 6th level you can strike with the force of an eruption. You can add your Charisma modifier to your initiative rolls.

I was torn about this at first, but it seems suitably volcanic on reflection. Maybe they could get a minor bonus when they go first, or against creatures going after them in the first round, so they feel dangerously aggressive rather than merely quick thinking? Perhaps the effects of Crack the Earth on creatures they hit?

Whenever you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that deals thunder, fire, lightning, or bludgeoning damage; Creatures and objects of your choice within 15 feet of you take damage equal to 1/2 your sorcerer level (minimum 1) of the same damage type as the one of those listed above.

You don't need to say the minimum is 1, because when they get this they already have 6 sorcerer levels and deal 3 damage using this ability. I'm not sure how often such small amounts of damage will be useful.

You become acclimated to high altitudes, including elevations above 20,000 feet.

Is 20k a special number? It could be I'm just not remembering some special effect that kicks in there according to the DMG.

Also, is Crack the Earth meant to be gained at level 6? I think that's too much for one level. Maybe replace the extra damage from Living Cataclysm with this?

By taking a minute to listen to the earth and expending five sorcery points, you can create simple objects and structures. These structures last for a number of hours equal to 1/2 your Sorcerer level before returning to their base shape or crumbling to dust. The object or structure cannot take up a space larger than a 20 foot cubed volume.

I'm not sure this fits the destructive nature of a volcano sorcerer. Nor is it really necessary when you get Stone Shape anyway.

When you deal Thunder, Fire, Lightning, or Bludgeoning damage you can infuse the effect with a part of your own essence. The triggering effect deals bonus damage equal to 1, 2, or 3 (your choice) x the number of dice initially rolled, and you take this bonus damage as necrotic damage. The necrotic damage from this effect cannot be reduced by weaknesses or resistances.

At high levels, this can be abused by dealing four times the normal damage with powerful spells and just having a party member cast Revivify if it kills you. I'd limit the damage to double the original.

I also don't think you need the damage resistance at this level (or any other level, the concept behind the subclass doesn't require that it and its allies be able to gain resistance to the kinds of damage it deals).

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-28, 01:57 PM
The overall goal was to try and replicate the abilities and powers of the Vulshok sorcerers from the MTG world of Mirroden. The most notable of them is Koth a planeswalker and geomancer who took the magical teachings of his tribes and mixed it with his own power. So overall, yes volcanic themed, but there is that ever-present tie to towards the shaping capabilities of a volcano. Now enough with excuses and lets crack the bat on this.

I'd make this Terran and Ignan, for flavour reasons.

I am inclined to agree, but I did not see those as possible languages in the PHB. If those still exist in this edition then yes, replacements shall happen

I understand why you'd want to include a sudden, volcanic surge in speed, but this is a very minor boost that you'll get very often, so I don't think it quite fits the subclass. I also don't think it will exciting for the player to get, except maybe in cases where they're running from something. My suggestion would be that, once per short rest, the sorcerer can dash as a bonus action. (A possibly silly amendment: they can only do it when moving downhill.)

The other idea that I had was to just give a +10 movement while in contact with the ground. That might be far simpler and nessecary.

I was torn about this at first, but it seems suitably volcanic on reflection. Maybe they could get a minor bonus when they go first, or against creatures going after them in the first round, so they feel dangerously aggressive rather than merely quick thinking? Perhaps the effects of Crack the Earth on creatures they hit?

Adding the damage from crack the earth might work well. Being flat damage that is based on level keeps it from being abused too thoroughly. I am just worried about the damage stacking. I love the explosive idea. What about gaining Adv on attack rolls or disadv on saves for creature who you beat in the initiative. That way its not something that provides a continuous damage stack, but still gives you that umph.

Edit: Maybe the first time you deal damage in combat you add your Sorcerer level to the damage dealt as either fire, lightning, or thunder damage.

You don't need to say the minimum is 1, because when they get this they already have 6 sorcerer levels and deal 3 damage using this ability. I'm not sure how often such small amounts of damage will be useful.

Edited, and its to give the imagery of the power that pulses off of your casting.

Is 20k a special number? It could be I'm just not remembering some special effect that kicks in there according to the DMG.

Not certain, I stole it off of the Goliath and replaced cold with hot.

Also, is Crack the Earth meant to be gained at level 6? I think that's too much for one level. Maybe replace the extra damage from Living Cataclysm with this?

it was supposed to be gained at 14th level, edited. Dropping Crack The Earth from 14th to 6th might not be a bad plan though, it'd be one level after everyone else gets extra attack and the rogue gets uncanny dodge.

I'm not sure this fits the destructive nature of a volcano sorcerer. Nor is it really necessary when you get Stone Shape anyway.

This was to get the feeling of tectonic plate shifting and carving the landscape to suit your will. This has been edited since your quote though. Stoneshape provides minor objects, I wanted to get that feeling of whole structures or camps going forth.

At high levels, this can be abused by dealing four times the normal damage with powerful spells and just having a party member cast Revivify if it kills you. I'd limit the damage to double the original.

I have another idea for dealing bonus damage listed. I am strongly considering having a clause in it stating that if you die from the damage this ability deals, your body turns to obsidian that breaks into shards soon after.

Another is adding something like this:
Explosive Spells
Creatures damaged by spells you cast must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 1 foot for every point of damage from the source of the damage and fall prone.

I also don't think you need the damage resistance at this level (or any other level, the concept behind the subclass doesn't require that it and its allies be able to gain resistance to the kinds of damage it deals).
The damage resistance was one of those iconic powers that was displayed in the stories I used for inspiration of the class. However, I may reduce it to a 1 hour thing like the drag sorcerer that is a 15ft aura.

khadgar567
2015-07-28, 02:22 PM
is there any chance we can get lava lance or same type of awesome spell that this bloodline can use

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-28, 05:36 PM
is there any chance we can get lava lance or same type of awesome spell that this bloodline can use

This may not be what you're looking for but this is what i've got so far:

Volcanic Hammer
5th Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a fist size chunk of pumice)
Duration: Instantaneous:
Creatures next to you barely perceive the distant roar of a forge hums out from your space, as you bring your arm downward in an arc the sound of a hammer falling on an anvil echoes out as a massive molten hammer smashes a nearby creature or object. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit the creature takes 6d10 bludgeoning damage and must succeed on a strength saving throw, on a failure the creature is knocked prone. Hit or miss the impact of the hammer causes an explosion. The target and each creature within 10 feet of the target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 6d6 points of fire damage, a successful save halves the damage.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 6th level or higher, the fire damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 5th.

Intended for: Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Sorcerer, Wizard

Magma Jet
2nd Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range 60 feet: V, S, M (a piece of obsidian)
Duration Instantaneous:
With palms turned up and a hauling grasping motion you appear to peel the very blood of the earth forth. Each creature in a 40 foot high 10 foot radius cylinder must make a Dexterity saving throw as the ground beneath them erupts into a gout of burning lava. On a failure the creature takes 3d6 points of fire damage, or half as much on a successful one.
The surfaces within the area of the spell becomes rough terrain that costs two feet of movement to move one foot. Whenever a creature ends its turn or enters this area for the first time on its turn wile in contact with a surface, it takes 1d4 points of fire damage. The area stays like this for three rounds as the lava cools and disappears.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the initial damage increases by 1d6 and the secondary damage increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 2nd.

Intended for: Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard

EDIT: I used the custom spell chart in the DMG and compared it to the spell Ice Knife to estimate where the damage for Volcanic Hammer should be. If it feel too strong for a 5th level evocation fire spell, please let me know.

BRKNdevil
2015-07-28, 08:47 PM
Elementals have been given Primordial as their language and have different dialects if i remember right, for 5e

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-29, 08:38 AM
Ok several changes made:

Added a side note @ the Ignan and Terran dialects for flavor, still can't find in the PHB or DMG where the list of full languages is presented.
Added control flames as an option for the free cantrip
Changed the bonus speed mechanic to be +10 feet while you are touching the ground. No carrying a sac of dirt won't make you faster, but that could be funny.
Changed living cataclysm to behave with more umph and less sustain. Might have to limit the bonus damage to be within a certain range limit though. I am still considering swapping what levels you acquire this and Crack the Earth.
Terraforming - Removed the rough terrain feature, might put it back though. Added clarifying information to other parts and pieces.
Remove the bonus damage per dice, added a knock down mechanic as the capstone, depending on how that puts the power I might remove the resistance aura. Added 1 hour time limit to resistence, made it 15ft.

EDIT: 10ft tremorsense added to Terraforming. Suggestion from a friend. However I am considering making it a sorcery point fueled ability that last's for one minute and has a range of 10ft per point spent.

Kryx
2015-07-29, 08:50 AM
No major comments, but I'm happy to see a sorcerer bloodline follow the new WotC standard of 10 origin spells.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-30, 04:03 AM
I really like the idea, most questions I wanted to ask are already answered.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-30, 08:24 AM
I really like the idea, most questions I wanted to ask are already answered.

Glad to see that you liked it and that your questions worked out for you.:smallbiggrin:

I am considering treating the bonus spells as a 1/2 bonus 1/2 expanded spell list. Pretty much you get one for free that isn't counted against your spell known. If anyone else feels that tweaks are needed please let me know. I am striving to make this as balanced as possible without overshadowing the other pre-existing sorcerer origins.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-01, 09:14 PM
Alright push mechanic on capstone modified to take into account larger creatures.
Changed tremorsense feature to be sorcery point fueled.

Trying to tweak it as finely as possible. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.