PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice on an Arcanist debuffer (looking for feats and options).

Corwin_of_Amber
2015-07-28, 01:02 PM
I'd like to play a debuffer for my next foray into PF, but I am largely unfamiliar with new feats and options over 3.5. I would like to play an Arcanist, since it seems like less bookkeeping than a Wizard, but more versatile than a Sorcerer. Although if there is a compelling enough reason, I would not be adverse to playing a Wizard.

I plan to have the character be a Tiefling with the school savant option to get swift action teleportation (think Nightcrawler). I will be dumping charisma, which is why I don't just use the school understanding exploit for the teleportation. It seems like very few Arcanist abilities really care about charisma and those that do are mostly blaster abilities. Other than that, I am open to suggestions.

noob
2015-07-28, 01:10 PM
Buying a lot of pearl of power of level 1 is cheap (1000 po per pearl) and allows you to refill your Coolness points in end game you can cast level 9 spells at home with just 10 pearls of level 1 spells and so you can have lots of building spells and other things of this kind so pearls of power of level one are just something you always want to have more of.
Sorry I forgot the limit of the consume spell class feature.
One power which seems pretty cool is Quick Study(swap one of your spell for any other spell you know for one full round action and one point) which allows some bonus versatility but it might not be as good as something like paragon surge(Preferred Spell) which is a spell(who sadly needs you to be half human to work and who probably needs a very permissive gm).
If you manage to have a scroll of mind seed an to use it on your familiar your familiars have now levels(No rules prevent them from having levels and the only rules for becoming a familiar is that you must not have been modified before becoming a familiar so there is no problems for changing after becoming one) and a familiar with levels is very cool since you can create a copy of him with the duplicate familiar spell.

Corwin_of_Amber
2015-07-28, 04:35 PM
Well, that gives me something to do when I have 9th level spells, but I was hoping for something more practical over the course of getting to 20. I'm starting out at level 3.

For example, I think Persistent Spell is going to be powerful to double up on saves. What other metamagic feats should I get? I know Quicken is a given, but are there any other hidden gems?

noob
2015-07-28, 05:01 PM
Familiar spell is some kind of bonus quicken spell per round but you can just use a rod of familiar spell for it.
craft construct is really awesome if you can create templated constructs like those
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/clockwork-creature-cr-2
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/war-machine-cr-3
You apply those templates to spellcasters and you can build them
Really convenient also you can create an infinite army of good with that easily:
Build one creature with the following templates: swarm creature(+1), apocalypse swarm(+3), clockwork construct (+1) and you need cr of the creature -1 caster level to create it so you can create a good creature with a class level of 4 less than you who have the ability to split each time it is hit.
(This use of craft construct is probably forbidden)