PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New Legacy Item: The Lorestaff (PEACH)

inuyasha
2015-07-28, 02:12 PM
Completely ignoring that Weapons of Legacy is poorly written, I recently got my hands on a copy of it and I think it's a good concept, but as most people say, the examples are awful. In true homebrewing fashion I've come up with my own, I skipped the Prerequisites as I in my own games would probably remove them. I've done the same with the penalties as I've read online that the removal of them still allows for a balanced game. Though if penalties are used in your game, refer to table 4-7

The Lorestaff
The Lorestaff appears as a gnarled piece of oak, otherwise it is unremarkable in every way
Nonlegacy Statistics:
+1 Quarterstaff
Omen: When grasped, the eyes of the wielder look very tired as though from old age, and they begin to glow blue slightly

History:
Legend says The Lorestaff was made by an ancient Elven wizard as a tool to bring more power to the elves, (DC 15)

The Lorestaff was built to decode Dwarven documents during the ancient war between them and the elves. It was also meant to grant it‘s creator (a diviner in the great Elven military) sharper clarity to warn him of impending attacks, (Ancient Fears, DC 18)

Later in the war, the Diviner was put in a position closer to the battlefield, he became extremely paranoid of Dwarven sappers sneaking about. This caused the staff to relieve his fears and grant him knowledge of all that was behind him, (Hidden Death DC 25)

The Diviner was well trusted in his position, with The Lorestaff at his side, he became an important piece on the battlefield, revealing hidden dwarves so the large groups of Arcane Archers could fire their deadly arrows with ease. In this position however he made his first mistake, he was exposed! He was caught in a rush of expert Dwarven Defenders that trampled him and nearly killed him, if it weren‘t for his staff. It was now that the staff had awakened it‘s true powers, granted him knowledge beyond what was thought possible, and he wished with all his heart to win this war. It was now that he was transformed into a deadly creature on the battlefield, he began to unleash hell as all was exposed to him, (Ancient Grudge, DC 31)

Wielder Trials:
Ancient Fears
Must defeat a dwarf or group of dwarves with an ECL equal to the party’s level+1. Then burn a scroll of identify over the corpse
Cost: 1,500 GP

Hidden Death
Must survive an attack by a mechanical trap or a Dwarven Rogue (or a group of them) with a CR equal to the party’s level
Cost: 11,500 GP

Ancient Grudge
You must kill at least one servant of Moradin with a level equal to your own+1 and attempt to tell fortunes with his entrails
Cost: 39,000 GP

Table:
Level Abilities
5 Revelation of Words
6 Revealing the Unseen
8 Revelation of the Arcane
10 Mental Strengthening +2
11 Extreme Cunning
12 Farsense
14 Reveal all
15 Look past distractions
16 +2 Quarterstaff
17 Revelation of the Universe!
20 Revelation of True Death

Legacy Item Abilities:
Revelation of Words (Su):
The wielder constantly understands all spoken and written word as per a Comprehend Languages spell. This does not allow her to speak all languages, merely understand.

Revealing the Unseen (Su):
While holding the item, the wielder has a +5 on spot checks

Revelation of the Arcane (Su):
While holding the item, the wielder has a +5 on Knowledge (the planes), and Knowledge (arcane).

Mental Strengthening (Su):
Starting at Level 10, The Lorestaff grants a +2 on intelligence to whoever wields it. The blue glow in their eyes intensifies and begins to swirl with other shades of blue (this may be stopped at will)

Extreme Cunning (Su):
Starting at level 11, the Lorestaff grants you knowledge of what danger lies behind you. At this level and beyond you may never be caught flat footed

Farsense (Sp):
Twice per day, by gazing into the top of The Lorestaff, you may use Clairaudience/Clairvoyance as it lets your senses be free from your mortal shell.

Reveal all (Su):
No matter how man tries to hide himself, he is always seen. As long as you wield The Lorestaff you can constantly see invisible things as per the spell.

Look Past Distractions
At 15th level, the Lorestaff grants a continual Detect Secret Doors effect on it's wielder

Revelation of the Universe! (Su):
At 17th level, The Lorestaff’s mighty knowledge pierces the veil of reality and grants it’s wielder one wish. This is a one time effect.

Revelation of True Death (Sp):
Once per day, you may cast Weird as the Lorestaff grants you knowledge of the creatures darkest, deepest, most primal fears and turns it against them.

I used this thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5907) as a guide while making them

inuyasha
2015-07-29, 10:40 AM
*Bump*

I know that Legacy Items are a bit of an uncomfortable subject, but I'd really like to get this PEACHed as I'm going to be using this in my next game (when this next game is is unknown) and I put a little bit of work into this.

Silvanshei
2015-07-29, 01:28 PM
I don't see what penalty table you are using, though I may just be more blind then I think. From what I know about WoL, this seems to be fine. I would allow it in my campaign.

inuyasha
2015-07-29, 01:57 PM
Oh, it's 4-7 from the section of the book about creating your own legacy items. It's focused for a spellcaster character. I didn't include the actual table as I know most people remove the penalties in their games.

Other than that, it's nice to hear that this is balanced!

Morcleon
2015-07-29, 04:38 PM
Legacy Item Abilities:
Revelation of Words (Su):
The wielder constantly understands all spoken and written word as per a Comprehend Languages spell. This does not allow her to speak all languages, merely understand.

Seems pretty nice.

Revealing the Unseen (Su):
While holding the item, the wielder has a +5 on spot checks

Bonus type?

Revelation of the Arcane (Su):
While holding the item, the wielder has a +5 on Knowledge (the planes), and Knowledge (arcane).

Bonus type?

Mental Strengthening (Su):
Starting at Level 10, The Lorestaff grants a +2 on intelligence to whoever wields it. The blue glow in their eyes intensifies and begins to swirl with other shades of blue (this may be stopped at will)

Bonus type?

Reveal all (Su):
No matter how man tries to hide himself, he is always seen. As long as you wield The Lorestaff you can constantly see invisible things as per the spell.

Should be "see invisibility, as per the spell".

Be-Rid of All Bindings (Sp):
At 15th level, the Lorestaff allows it’s Wielder to use Knock at will as it's knowledge reveals all and denies all imprisoning

This seems like an incredibly lackluster ability in comparison to the last few. Also, knock doesn't really make sense for something called. 'Be Rid of All Bindings". Freedom of Movement would fit better.

Revelation of the Universe! (Su):
At 17th level, The Lorestaff’s mighty knowledge pierces the veil of reality and grants it’s wielder one wish. This is a one time effect.

Revelation of True Death (Sp):
Once per day, you may cast Weird as the Lorestaff grants you knowledge of the creatures darkest, deepest, most primal fears and turns it against them.

Hypercognition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hypercognition.htm) and Metafaculty (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm) seem to fit the theme of the Lorestaff better than a one-shot Wish and 1/day Weird. I'd recommend maybe 3/day Hypercognition and 1/day Metafaculty.